General Question GREEN patch of fur on face. What is this?????

Jeffrey

Aug 10, 2012
Country
China
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeffrey, Hero and Saber
Hi All,

I noticed today that my 20month bully, Saber, has a green patch of fur on his face. Has anyone come across this and any ideas if i need to be worried about it and what i can do? I have tried wiping it with wet wipes and cleans pads but it seems it is not dirt and is actually the colour of the fur. Saber's natural coat is a brindle and white and the green colour is only appearing on the brindle colour patch between his eye wrinkle on the right side of his face. Here are some pics it took of the green patch and also a pic of Saber.

Any help would be very much appreciated :)
IMG_5044.JPGIMG_5043.JPGIMG_5041.JPGIMG_5040.JPGIMG_5019.JPG

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Tags can cause a color change in the fur from the oxidizing of the metal. Like can it be he was lying on metal sleeping for a while? Just6st a thought.

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Aug 10, 2012
Country
China
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeffrey, Hero and Saber
Tags can cause a color change in the fur from the oxidizing of the metal. Like can it be he was lying on metal sleeping for a while? Just6st a thought.

Thanks! I didn't know that. But we only put a chain on him when we take out for walks otherwise at home he is 'all natural' :) At night he does sleep in his crate which is stainless steel but it is weird how it is only on the patch under his right eye.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
he is one great looking bully boy!

i never seen anything like this.... very curious as to what it could be? going to tag a few members to see if they have any ideas.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Could it possibly be grass stain? Perhaps he has a spot that he likes to roll,or rub,while he is outside?A toy?First thought was metal, but his crate is stainless-so it's not that. As long as fur is not coming out,or skin is not broken,I wouldn't worry. A green dog could be worth a lot of green!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It is a stain from either allergies, or from sleeping on the metal crate.

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Aug 10, 2012
Country
China
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeffrey, Hero and Saber
Could it possibly be grass stain? Perhaps he has a spot that he likes to roll,or rub,while he is outside?A toy?First thought was metal, but his crate is stainless-so it's not that. As long as fur is not coming out,or skin is not broken,I wouldn't worry. A green dog could be worth a lot of green!!

Hi, i don't think it is grass stain because it is in the actual fold of where there is usually the tear stains so you will not see it unless you spread fold apart. It does not seem to be irritating him and look sore but I'm just concerned if it will lead to something more serious or starts spreading. If he does turn green i will have to change his name to HULK!!! :)

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Aug 10, 2012
Country
China
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeffrey, Hero and Saber
It is a stain from either allergies, or from sleeping on the metal crate.

If it is from sleeping in metal crate, why would it appear only in his fold and not on his under side or anywhere else??? However, the allergies seems to be more likely but i cannot think of anything that has changed in terms of food or environment over last few months. I guess i will just keep monitoring this and hope it goes away or at least not get any worse.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
If it is from sleeping in metal crate, why would it appear only in his fold and not on his under side or anywhere else??? However, the allergies seems to be more likely but i cannot think of anything that has changed in terms of food or environment over last few months. I guess i will just keep monitoring this and hope it goes away or at least not get any worse.

Eeeeeeee crate... does your dog sleep on the same side of green stain in the crate? If your dog tears alot a it drips to the fold I would check that out.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

With the change of temperatures at night.. it can be something in the air. Are you experiencing that where you are living?

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Aug 10, 2012
Country
China
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeffrey, Hero and Saber
Eeeeeeee crate... does your dog sleep on the same side of green stain in the crate? If your dog tears alot a it drips to the fold I would check that out.

His eyes do tear but we do clean the folds several times each day so there are not bad. In regards to the sleeping position, he does not seem to have a set position - sometimes he sleeps on his back, on his side or flat on his stomach. There is no sign of discomfort but will keep an eye on it. Thanks!

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Aug 10, 2012
Country
China
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeffrey, Hero and Saber
With the change of temperatures at night.. it can be something in the air. Are you experiencing that where you are living?

The temperature where we are gets very hot in the summer (30-40) and very cold in the winter (freezing). Currently it is pretty warm but we usually have the air conditioning on or open the doors/windows and have an electric fan.

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Hi Jeffrey! I found a similar discussion of Saber's green patch on a groomers chat site. Someone suggested that it may be a pseudomonos infection. Maybe your vet could analyse a sample and see if it's an infection. Hope this helps.

Green fur on a Samoyed

Hi All,

I noticed today that my 20month bully, Saber, has a green patch of fur on his face. Has anyone come across this and any ideas if i need to be worried about it and what i can do? I have tried wiping it with wet wipes and cleans pads but it seems it is not dirt and is actually the colour of the fur. Saber's natural coat is a brindle and white and the green colour is only appearing on the brindle colour patch between his eye wrinkle on the right side of his face. Here are some pics it took of the green patch and also a pic of Saber.

Any help would be very much appreciated :)
View attachment 100827View attachment 100828View attachment 100829View attachment 100830View attachment 100831

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi Jeffrey! I found a similar discussion of Saber's green patch on a groomers chat site. Someone suggested that it may be a pseudomonos infection. Maybe your vet could analyse a sample and see if it's an infection. Hope this helps.

Green fur on a Samoyed

Well now, learn everyday dont we? Thank you :)

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
That looks like a pseudomonas infection to me...most often appears in areas that remain damp(tears in face creases). Your vet will likely treat with oral antibiotics; Cipro or Levofloxacin. I'd go with the antibiotic that is cheapest. It can take weeks/months to get rid of. At this point the infection is probably only in the hair follicles and that green staining is a dead giveaway. This is nothing to be alarmed about.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online