Walt's paw is swollen, hard, limping and he's in pain

WaltsMom

Jun 19, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walt
Hey bully lovers!

My 8 month old is limping or hobbling. At first we thought he may have sprained his leg, from jumping off a bed, couch or running around. 2 weeks ago he was limping but i had him take it easy and he felt better. Yesterday it started happening again. I looked inside all of his paws, no redness or anything i can see to be removed. While he was resting, i started just touching his paw pads and i noticed that when i touched his left one he pulled it away instantly. Comparing it to the other pads, it is hard, round and plump. I think they are swollen but i dont see anything in it.

Last night i gave two benedryls, his anti-bacterial medicine ive been giving for a different skin problem thats gone, and dipped the paw in water/apple cider vinegar and let dry. Today i was going to go get epsom salt and have him soak in that.

Is there anything that i can give to provide more immediate relief? Can i give ibuprofen? He's about 43 pounds.

Thank you!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sorry your boy has a hurt paw. Hopefully the Epsom salt soak will help. If he is not better by tomorrow, I would let a vet take a look. Might be infected from something in it. Plus do not give ibuprofen, it can cause kidney failure and kill your bully. Some say you can give aspirin, but I never do because it could cause bleeding in the intestines.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/David... he needs to be seen by a vet.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=16016]WaltsMom[/MENTION] -- i agree with the others, no aspirin or ibuprofen... Epsom salts are good till you can get to the vet for a check on it. he may have stepped on something and it could be infecte

OP
WaltsMom

WaltsMom

Jun 19, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walt
Thank you guys.. Ill keep watching it and see if i need to take him to the vet. Just sucks because i just took him for a skin infection and completed 21 days of antibiotics. And $400. Lol ugh

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thank you guys.. Ill keep watching it and see if i need to take him to the vet. Just sucks because i just took him for a skin infection and completed 21 days of antibiotics. And $400. Lol ugh

Oh that does stink... what kind of skin infection did he have?

OP
WaltsMom

WaltsMom

Jun 19, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walt
Oh that does stink... what kind of skin infection did he have?

He had an ear infection, plus bumps behind his ears and hair was falling out there, spreading down his neck. Bumps on his back with thinning fur. Red between his paws. Dermititis and food allergies. I switched from fromm to natural balance, which improved his stool, just finished antibiotics, i also got an ear rinse and cream. He's better! But now his paw... I'd hate to have to go back to the vet so soon. Spoiled pup. I spend more on him than my own kids when you factor toys, beds, stairs, pawdicures, training, hygeine, vet bills, food and trips to the store for stuff here and there lol ;)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online