Brown gunk in folds

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty suddenly has a brown face! It's in his nose rope and the fold above that but he does not have tear stains (at least, no more than he did before). His ears have also suddenly got dark brown wax. This all happened in the 2 -3 days. I have been cleaning several times a day with Chlorhexidine Gluconate but is there anything else I should be using? His diet is the same although I did take him off Kefir last month. I have put him back on it since this started.

sdefilippo

Jul 4, 2016
Upstate, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Juno, Lola (2012 - 2016)
I love malacetic wipes. The bullies hate them because they smell like vinegar but they keep the rolls dry and healthy. Lola used to get brown gunk sometimes. The vet said it was yeast and recommended the wipes.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

crd539

May 26, 2015
Northwest Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
I agree, i use the malacetic wipes as well and have had great success with them for face and tail pocket.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
freakin allergies !! I can not keep lambeau's ears/folds clean -- this summer is kicking his butt

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I have the same issue with Dozer and his allergies. It is caused by yeast and usually food allergies or sensitivity.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Same here. Allergies. Here is Orion before and after. We now feed her Fromm grain free and we give her benadry twice daily. Any treats we give her are grain free.....and she loves frozen green beans as a treat. We had to put her on an antibiotic first.... she had yeast and bacteria on her face. Once we killed that...we were able to control it and prevent it from happening again with the diet above.

IMG_1723.JPGOrion before food change Nov 2011.jpg

super photo 1.jpgIMG_7827 1.jpgIMG_7792  11111.jpg

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
That looks exactly like Monty. He has been on Acana Wild Atlantic for several months now with no problems. He has Salmon Oil in his food in the a.m and coconut oil in the evening meal. Green beans in both plus I have put him back on Kefir morning and night after this flare-up. I am waiting for Malaket wipes to be delivered and in the meantime wiping him about 3 times day with Chlorhexidine. I give him Benedryl once a day but will up that to twice a day. His treats are dried duck liver and he was on Acana Duck and Pear before without problems so I think the duck is safe. He is not licking his feet or scratching. Will give it a couple more days and if it doesn't improve will take him to the vet. He looks a mess!

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Took him to the vet today as the gunk was not clearing up. He is now on Amoxicillin. His ears are pretty good apparently, just waxy. Strange thing though, he just now stood up and pee'd on his bed. He has never done anything like that. Poor boy. I am assuming it is because of the Amoxicillin but he has only had one pill so far. I don't think I will give him another one tonight as he doesn't really seem like himself. I will call the vet again tomorrow.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Tate's nose rope is filled with yellow-brown gunk on a regular basis lately too :( He's on benadryl twice daily and i just switched them to TOTW grain free. They were on Acana for awhile but i thought a change was in order since the skin issues seemed to be getting worse. I think it's this damn heat we've been suffering through in LA though.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Acana has changed their recipes since they moved production to the US. Really p****s me off! He has been on their 'new' formula for two months now but everything has changed in it. He was on the Duck & Bartlett pear before the Pacifica fish one and did well on it. I changed to the Pacifica so I would have a back-up if necessary and it seems like maybe that is now the case but the Duck and Pear has changed somewhat too, although not as drastically as the Pacifica (now Wild Atlantic). Aarghhhh!!! I need to make a decision quickly as he is about out of food. Someone tell me what to do!!!!!

I did give him the amoxicillin again this morning as I went back through his records and he has been on it 3 times before with no problems. I think it was my fault as I gave it to him without food (Bad Mum). He had it with his food and no problems.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Acana has changed their recipes since they moved production to the US. Really p****s me off! He has been on their 'new' formula for two months now but everything has changed in it. He was on the Duck & Bartlett pear before the Pacifica fish one and did well on it. I changed to the Pacifica so I would have a back-up if necessary and it seems like maybe that is now the case but the Duck and Pear has changed somewhat too, although not as drastically as the Pacifica (now Wild Atlantic). Aarghhhh!!! I need to make a decision quickly as he is about out of food. Someone tell me what to do!!!!!

I did give him the amoxicillin again this morning as I went back through his records and he has been on it 3 times before with no problems. I think it was my fault as I gave it to him without food (Bad Mum). He had it with his food and no problems.

Is there one close to the duck/pear that you can switch too.... maybe the pork/squash?

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
They have added a lot of 'stuff' to all their foods manufactured here. Below is the example of the fish, then and now. Nothing bad as such but why?!! Why fix something that wasn't broke! I will try the Duck again as Duck is Duck I would hope!!! It still has a lot more ingredients but at least the main protein is the same. I hadn't tried the pork. It is so hard to find a food for our dogs then they switch everything on you!

Old ingredients
Boneless salmon, salmon meal, herring meal, whitefish meal*, green peas, red lentils, boneless herring, boneless flounder, herring oil, field beans, canola oil, sun-cured alfalfa, pea fibre, natural fish flavour, whole apples, whole pears, pumpkin, butternut squash, parsnips, carrots, spinach greens, cranberries, blueberries, kelp, chicory root, juniper berries, angelica root, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, lavender, rosemary

* ACANA’s whitefish meal contains wild-caught cod, pollock, sole, flounder and halibut.

New ingredients
Whole mackerel*, whole herring*, whole redfish*, silver hake*, mackerel meal, herring meal, whole green peas, red lentils, pinto beans, pollock meal, cod meal, catfish oil, chickpeas, green lentils, whole yellow peas, herring oil, sun-cured alfalfa, yellowtail flounder*, natural fish flavor, sunflower oil, dried kelp, freeze-dried cod liver, whole pumpkin*, whole butternut squash*, kale*, spinach*, mustard greens*, collard greens*, turnip greens*, carrots*, *Red Delicious apples, *Bartlett pears, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, mixed tocopherols (preservative), chicory root, turmeric, sarsaparilla root, althea root, rosehips, juniper berries, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online