Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Thread: Ear infection

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cash, aka The Fat Baby
    Likes (Received)

Default Ear infection

My 8 year-old bulldog Cash has been very heathy until last January. I noticed his ear was red and hot. Vet gave him a antibiotic in his ear, Prednisolone and told me she believed it was from allergies, (only the left ear is infected, right is fine). We changed his food but the ear did not get well, another visit, another food change, more antibiotics, and more prednisolone and a antihistamine, (HYDROXZINE). We saw some improvement for a week or two, then back to the vet. She gave me an ear wash, Malaseb. With very little improvement, I took Cash back to Arkansas to see his old vet (7 hour drive one way). He put on a wash Trizedta. The ear continued to get worse, Cash would wake up crying when he had to move. Back to KC vet who has him on a third type of ear wash. She sedated and looked in the ear, cleaned it and packed it. more antibiotics, and tramadol and prednisolone. It does not seem to be working, and Cash now has eye discharge that has caused the skin below his eye to appear red. My question is has anyone else had a similar problem and how did that vet treat the issue? Very worried about the continued use of all these drugs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_1110-jpg  

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ear infection

I am sorry to hear about Cash and his ears. Here is a link to Bulldog Recommended vets: English Bulldog News Forums - English Bulldog News Recommended English Bulldog Veterinarians

We do hope that Cash will get well soon. Jewel and Bentley say hello. We hope this helps.

P.S. Welcome to EBN. You are never alone here. Also, peruse the site as there are many articles and posts from bulldog owners. --rj

3. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro
    Likes (Received)

@Darhist There is a fairly new treatment medicine for ear infection. It is called Claro,by Bayer. At least two of us with dogs serious ear infection have had our vets treat our dogs with it,and had no more problem. Ask your veterinarian to get it. It comes in a syringe,and when put in the ear,treats the infection. I hope all will be well with your Cash. Since he has taken so many antibiotics,you might want to give him a probiotic,or plain active culture yogurt every day,a tablespoon or two,to replace all his good bacteria.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

5. Likes rjisaterp, ddnene, TyTysmom liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

We had a bulldog Bella that used to have chronic ear issues, and she would have her ears packed a couple of times a year. It seemed to have put a stop to it...

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Darhist View Post
    My 8 year-old bulldog Cash has been very heathy until last January. I noticed his ear was red and hot. Vet gave him a antibiotic in his ear, Prednisolone and told me she believed it was from allergies, (only the left ear is infected, right is fine). We changed his food but the ear did not get well, another visit, another food change, more antibiotics, and more prednisolone and a antihistamine, (HYDROXZINE). We saw some improvement for a week or two, then back to the vet. She gave me an ear wash, Malaseb. With very little improvement, I took Cash back to Arkansas to see his old vet (7 hour drive one way). He put on a wash Trizedta. The ear continued to get worse, Cash would wake up crying when he had to move. Back to KC vet who has him on a third type of ear wash. She sedated and looked in the ear, cleaned it and packed it. more antibiotics, and tramadol and prednisolone. It does not seem to be working, and Cash now has eye discharge that has caused the skin below his eye to appear red. My question is has anyone else had a similar problem and how did that vet treat the issue? Very worried about the continued use of all these drugs.

poor guy.... my boy has ear issues as well... our vet placed a medicine in the ears that lasted about 4-5 weeks. he told me do not touch the ears at all for 3 full weeks ... Lambeau's ears stayed clean, and I mean clean for close to 5 weeks. It is called Claro, and runs about 30 or 40 dollars per ear. ask your vet about it if he hasn't tried it yet.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Remove Ads