Darhist

Jul 22, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cash, aka The Fat Baby
My 8 year-old bulldog Cash has been very heathy until last January. I noticed his ear was red and hot. Vet gave him a antibiotic in his ear, Prednisolone and told me she believed it was from allergies, (only the left ear is infected, right is fine). We changed his food but the ear did not get well, another visit, another food change, more antibiotics, and more prednisolone and a antihistamine, (HYDROXZINE). We saw some improvement for a week or two, then back to the vet. She gave me an ear wash, Malaseb. With very little improvement, I took Cash back to Arkansas to see his old vet (7 hour drive one way). He put on a wash Trizedta. The ear continued to get worse, Cash would wake up crying when he had to move. Back to KC vet who has him on a third type of ear wash. She sedated and looked in the ear, cleaned it and packed it. more antibiotics, and tramadol and prednisolone. It does not seem to be working, and Cash now has eye discharge that has caused the skin below his eye to appear red. My question is has anyone else had a similar problem and how did that vet treat the issue? Very worried about the continued use of all these drugs.

Attachments

• IMG_1110.jpg
    IMG_1110.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 118

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=16157]Darhist[/MENTION] There is a fairly new treatment medicine for ear infection. It is called Claro,by Bayer. At least two of us with dogs serious ear infection have had our vets treat our dogs with it,and had no more problem. Ask your veterinarian to get it. It comes in a syringe,and when put in the ear,treats the infection. I hope all will be well with your Cash. Since he has taken so many antibiotics,you might want to give him a probiotic,or plain active culture yogurt every day,a tablespoon or two,to replace all his good bacteria.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We had a bulldog Bella that used to have chronic ear issues, and she would have her ears packed a couple of times a year. It seemed to have put a stop to it...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My 8 year-old bulldog Cash has been very heathy until last January. I noticed his ear was red and hot. Vet gave him a antibiotic in his ear, Prednisolone and told me she believed it was from allergies, (only the left ear is infected, right is fine). We changed his food but the ear did not get well, another visit, another food change, more antibiotics, and more prednisolone and a antihistamine, (HYDROXZINE). We saw some improvement for a week or two, then back to the vet. She gave me an ear wash, Malaseb. With very little improvement, I took Cash back to Arkansas to see his old vet (7 hour drive one way). He put on a wash Trizedta. The ear continued to get worse, Cash would wake up crying when he had to move. Back to KC vet who has him on a third type of ear wash. She sedated and looked in the ear, cleaned it and packed it. more antibiotics, and tramadol and prednisolone. It does not seem to be working, and Cash now has eye discharge that has caused the skin below his eye to appear red. My question is has anyone else had a similar problem and how did that vet treat the issue? Very worried about the continued use of all these drugs.

poor guy.... my boy has ear issues as well... our vet placed a medicine in the ears that lasted about 4-5 weeks. he told me do not touch the ears at all for 3 full weeks ... Lambeau's ears stayed clean, and I mean clean for close to 5 weeks. It is called Claro, and runs about 30 or 40 dollars per ear. ask your vet about it if he hasn't tried it yet.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.