General Question Thickened forehead wrinkles? Growths along/under wrinkles?

BullyPotato

Aug 14, 2016
VT
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Potato Pants (Tater)
Hello! My 2 year old bully has a couple forehead wrinkles that are not just normal thin skin bunching up like the rest of his face/body- meaning when you pull back his skin to try to flatten out 2 of the wrinkles near his eyebrows, you can feel that the wrinkles actually have lumps/ growths/nodules under them, the same shape as the wrinkles and it's not just loose skin that you can smooth out. I took him to the vet today who noticed the growths and she said that she has only seen them before in Bulldogs or Boxers but she has always found them to be benign (non- cancerous growths:whew::whew:) & it may be genetic. He's had them since he was young but I thought it was normal & you can't tell by looking at him that they aren't just heavy bulldog forehead wrinkles. :cool: He is otherwise healthy besides some allergies and very sensitive skin in general. My question for all the bulldog owners is--- has anyone else found this on their bully? Or heard of it? Any experiences in causes/ treatments? I can't find any information about this condition on these forums or when I do general web searches. Everything wrinkle related is about infections, etc and not thickened tissue under wrinkles or benign lesions / growths. Thanks!!!!:) image.jpegimage.jpeg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I will tag some members, but honestly I have never heard of cancerous growths like that... I'm glad to hear that they were benign.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Glad Mr P P has nothing serious and doing great. Im sure you will have other members answering you regarding your question. Hang on. :)

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Jewel had wart-like growths on her jowls on the right side. One of the growths was biopsied and then diagnosed (dx'd) as papillomas. Although your doctor has seen this before, I truly think the only way to be sure is to have a biopsy done. Here is an article I found that may asist. --rj Causes of Solid-Appearing Lumps & Bumps on the Skin of Dogs

OP
BullyPotato

BullyPotato

Aug 14, 2016
VT
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Potato Pants (Tater)
Thanks for the help! I'm going to ask the vet if she knows exactly what condition it is and if she thinks a biopsy might be good to do. I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to lumps. He's always had wrinkles in the same spot it's just that they now feel like they're filled in with tissue.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Interesting, never come across this. His wrinkles appear perfectly normal, but of course I can't feel them like you can. What are the lumps like? Hard, Soft, Mushy? Do they move? Any chance of them just being fatty tissue?

OP
BullyPotato

BullyPotato

Aug 14, 2016
VT
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Potato Pants (Tater)
I looked at older pictures of him as a puppy (example:blush2:) and he has the same 3 main head wrinkles, which makes me think they aren't just random lumps that might be more worrisome. The lumps are spongey feeling, can shift with the skin wrinkle, and it really seems almost like the folds he had on his head just thickened inside with little mounds (his nose rope is just normal thinner folded skin). I called my vet to ask again exactly what she wrote down, which was "thickened folds / benign skin proliferations, with a possibility that they are acrochordonous plaques." When I looked up "acrochordonous plaques" there isn't much info on it but it seems to be more common in the neck area. So who knows but I think I'll just watch and make sure they don't get larger/discolored/loose hair. I'm also going to try to contact the breeder to see if the parents or any siblings have anything similar.

Attachments

• IMG_7754.JPG
    IMG_7754.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 158

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I looked at older pictures of him as a puppy (example:blush2:) and he has the same 3 main head wrinkles, which makes me think they aren't just random lumps that might be more worrisome. The lumps are spongey feeling, can shift with the skin wrinkle, and it really seems almost like the folds he had on his head just thickened inside with little mounds (his nose rope is just normal thinner folded skin). I called my vet to ask again exactly what she wrote down, which was "thickened folds / benign skin proliferations, with a possibility that they are acrochordonous plaques." When I looked up "acrochordonous plaques" there isn't much info on it but it seems to be more common in the neck area. So who knows but I think I'll just watch and make sure they don't get larger/discolored/loose hair. I'm also going to try to contact the breeder to see if the parents or any siblings have anything similar.
Thanks for the update.

That is a great idea. Definitely knowing will help bring closure.

Please keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

I also never experienced this or heard of it... so please do keep us posted about your findings. I LOVE his name.... Mr. Potato Pants -- LOVE it!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He looks normal to me, I think it's just a bully thing to have fatty tissue there as they were bred to have forehead wrinkles.

OP
BullyPotato

BullyPotato

Aug 14, 2016
VT
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Potato Pants (Tater)
He looks normal to me, I think it's just a bully thing to have fatty tissue there as they were bred to have forehead wrinkles.
Thanks I'm hoping so! It's stupid but it was making me a little self-conscious for him after the vet, wondering if he looks normal compared to other bulldogs - I mean I think he's adorable & love him regardless (& he could care less) but I kept staring at him looking at other bulldog pictures wondering if what I thought was part of him being cute was actually a deformity/something dangerous & I didn't realize what he should look like :ashamed:

Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 3.11.36 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-08-17 at 2.56.30 PM.png

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks I'm hoping so! It's stupid but it was making me a little self-conscious for him after the vet, wondering if he looks normal compared to other bulldogs - I mean I think he's adorable & love him regardless (& he could care less) but I kept staring at him looking at other bulldog pictures wondering if what I thought was part of him being cute was actually a deformity/something dangerous & I didn't realize what he should look like :ashamed:

View attachment 100575View attachment 100576

Adorable babies..... I also have a Frenchie! I agree with David, you boy looks totally normal

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Never heard of this, but agree that a biopsy is the only way to really know. If it's a minor procedure to do the biopsy it will give you some peace of mind.

OP
BullyPotato

BullyPotato

Aug 14, 2016
VT
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Potato Pants (Tater)
Thanks!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts