Help Needed! Losing spots of fur - Possibly allergies?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Publix link is not showing, but if it is food grade... Yes, i use it on fur/skin and mix in his food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Believe me your not alone.We are battling this exact thing and it is an allergy per our vet but most likely its seasonal,we were given genocine spray and sulfur shampoo.It has helped but its on going.Our girl is worse than our boy and she's never had this issue until or horribly humid summer here in Arkansas.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

SouthernBred

Mar 18, 2016
Worcester, Mass
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sirius
def agree looks like staph my Sirius had it caught it early and only one or 2 small fur patches lost

Vet says caused by an allergy most likely with something he ate treat, grandpa sneaking table food etc

grain-free and possibly chicken free may be best bet

and I must say Wow what a beauty you have there

nellbell

Feb 5, 2014
Braintree, MA
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelly
Following this one too as Nelly has the exact same thing right now. I thought it was hot spots, as did our boarder. Have been using duoxo pads when they crop up and they seem to relieve the scab but not save the fur. She also is in recovery from seasonal flank alopecia, widespread but mostly resolved after about a month with 6mg melatonin twice daily. (70 lbs) Seeing the vet in two days to look at this and her ears, which are crusty on one side, and pimply (bite like?) on the other. Suspect food allergy is going to be the outcome. She's on Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Venison and Sweet Potato. Also apple cider vinegar with dinner.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So many varieties of Acana, are there a few options that tend to work better for bulldogs?

look at the grain free single protein options. I think the one I was leaning towards is pork/Squash

MarleneK

Dec 21, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dually
After trying the ProHex shampoo every second night for almost a month now, we went back to the vet today. The vet confirmed this time our boy has Pyoderma and prescribed Cephalexin 500 mg antibiotics 2x a day for 3 weeks. We are also to continue with the ProHex shampoo every second night only to wash his paws this time and to make sure we rinse and dry them very well. Since we’ve had an excessive amount of rain for July/August the grass has been wet and soggy and became a breeding ground for bacteria which started in his paws. Hopefully this will clear him up.

ryecoon

Sep 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chapo
Agree. Food is likely the cause. Go grain free, and chicken free!

Hi sorry to high jack. I was just reading along :) So i just got my first bulldog pup the other night and he has been having Diarrhea. I just started feeding him this Wellness brand grain free dog food. Its for puppy but the ingredients has Chicken and turkey. Any specific reason chicken free is better? Thanks

My pup Chapo has only been on this brand for one day. Im thinking of switching to Acana or Taste of the wild.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi sorry to high jack. I was just reading along :) So i just got my first bulldog pup the other night and he has been having Diarrhea. I just started feeding him this Wellness brand grain free dog food. Its for puppy but the ingredients has Chicken and turkey. Any specific reason chicken free is better? Thanks

My pup Chapo has only been on this brand for one day. Im thinking of switching to Acana or Taste of the wild.

In some cases It is how chicken is processed that causes the issue... but my girl was highly allergic to chicken so i had to avoid.

As a pup.. it could be the amount of food or did you not do a slow transition from old to new?

ryecoon

Sep 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chapo
In some cases It is how chicken is processed that causes the issue... but my girl was highly allergic to chicken so i had to avoid.

As a pup.. it could be the amount of food or did you not do a slow transition from old to new?

I just went to the store to buy some "Taste of the wild" Puppy food. I believe that was the brand his previous owner was eating.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I just went to the store to buy some "Taste of the wild" Puppy food. I believe that was the brand his previous owner was eating.

TOTW is a pretty good food... if he does well on it might be good to stick with it

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.