Help Needed! Losing spots of fur - Possibly allergies?

rudyr123

Aug 11, 2016
Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Darla
Hi all! We've been back and forth with the vet and I think I narrowed it down to allergies (I think..). It started this year around March. I noticed her hair randomly will fall out in small clumps. She's doesn't seem like she's in pain but will clinch if you touch or come close to touching the spots. I have noticed she will gnaw on her paw every now and then. We have taken her to the vet twice.. The first visit they tested her thyroids thinking it was that but everything checked out okay.

She hasn't changed food either. We have been feeding her Nutro Natural Choice (Chicken, Rice & Oatmeal) for the longest. The ingredients are the following.

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brewers Rice, Rice Bran, Whole Brown Rice, Whole Grain Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Split Peas, Natural Flavor, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Soybean Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Pea Protein, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Salt, Zinc Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Selenium Yeast, Biotin, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Folic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Decaffeinated Green Tea Extract, Spearmint Extract.

Will an allergy test absolutely find out what's causing her fur to fall out? If so, what do they normally go for? I've heard that Benadryl is good but much rather find a permanent solution than masking the problem.

13876546_10209211224373640_249570253008574262_n.jpg

The vet gave us Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Shampoo but I would really like to figure this out.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

I'm sure Darla doesn't appreciate that being our first post so here's a better shot of our princess. :)

17355331828_34d247cf5e_b.jpg

17516754436_fd85a7538b_b.jpg

17542967431_227ea22268_b.jpg

Bulldogmommy

Aug 11, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harper
my bulldog had lost hair on both of her sides. The vet had also given me the shampoo to try, tested her thyroid (which was negative). I switched her food to sensitive stomach and gave her melatonin daily. After one month of both, her hair has grown back.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is probably the food.... change to a grain free food Nutro is lots of grains, look at the list 4 of the first 6 ingredients are grains, mostly rice. i would also look into a different protein too... try pork or salmon.

Some better foods to look into... no particular order

Earthborn
Fromm
Taste of the Wild
Acana
Orijen

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
my bulldog had lost hair on both of her sides. The vet had also given me the shampoo to try, tested her thyroid (which was negative). I switched her food to sensitive stomach and gave her melatonin daily. After one month of both, her hair has grown back.

Loss of fur on the side, if it looks 'black' -- it most likely is seasonal flank alopicia (spelling?) Meliton or vitamin D daily will help I also rub coconut oil on the spot and the fur grew back (not always the case, but worth a try)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
It is probably the food.... change to a grain free food Nutro is lots of grains, look at the list 4 of the first 6 ingredients are grains, mostly rice. i would also look into a different protein too... try pork or salmon.

Some better foods to look into... no particular order

Earthborn
Fromm
Taste of the Wild
Acana
Orijen

Agree. Food is likely the cause. Go grain free, and chicken free!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

rudyr123

Aug 11, 2016
Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Darla
Thank you everyone! At first her spots will scab up along with a clump of hair. We are going to switch her food and see what happens. My Wife and I were looking into Taste of the Wild. Is there any you recommend?

We were looking at the Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food - Bison & Venison

https://www.amazon.com/Taste-Wild-Prairie-Formula-30-Pound/dp/B000W5SLB8

Or would you recommend the Salmon instead?

MarleneK

Dec 21, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dually
I'm following this post as we are going through the exact same thing right now. He's already gone through seasonal flank alopecia this is different. Small scab in the middle then if I slightly pick it clumps of hair fall out. Area is very dry and we are also trying the shampoo every second night now for almost 2 weeks, small change seems though the old spots are getting hair but there are new spots emerging with small scabs again. We feed a grain free diet already Fromm Beef Fritatta and Pork and Peas. Darla is beautiful by the way :)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you everyone! At first her spots will scab up along with a clump of hair. We are going to switch her food and see what happens. My Wife and I were looking into Taste of the Wild. Is there any you recommend?

We were looking at the Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food - Bison & Venison

https://www.amazon.com/Taste-Wild-Prairie-Formula-30-Pound/dp/B000W5SLB8

Or would you recommend the Salmon instead?
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] feeds TOTW

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm following this post as we are going through the exact same thing right now. He's already gone through seasonal flank alopecia this is different. Small scab in the middle then if I slightly pick it clumps of hair fall out. Area is very dry and we are also trying the shampoo every second night now for almost 2 weeks, small change seems though the old spots are getting hair but there are new spots emerging with small scabs again. We feed a grain free diet already Fromm Beef Fritatta and Pork and Peas. Darla is beautiful by the way :)

Could be something in the food or.. What treats are you giving?

Also, too much bathing can dry the skin - stripping natural oils. Add some coconut oil to food or rub on spots.

Have you been to vet fir antibiotics? Staph infection, even though a weakened immune system is the underlying cause, antibiotics are the only way to clear it up. And, the strengthen system with probiotics

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Staph infection was my thought from the description of sores. As for food,I feed Taste of the Wild Pacific Salmon.

MarleneK

Dec 21, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dually
Could be something in the food or.. What treats are you giving?

Also, too much bathing can dry the skin - stripping natural oils. Add some coconut oil to food or rub on spots.

Have you been to vet fir antibiotics? Staph infection, even though a weakened immune system is the underlying cause, antibiotics are the only way to clear it up. And, the strengthen system with probiotics

Yes we went to the vet and he took a swab under the microscope and said it was bacterial and gave us a cleansing shampoo for Antibacterial and Antifungal (ProHex). We've bathed him about 6 times now the vet said it might take up to 10. We thoroughly wet his coat and massage the shampoo until it's a generous lather and leave it on him for 10 minutes then rinse. We already do give him a spoonful of coconut oil daily. We may consider switching his food as well as he tends to be a little bit yeasty still on the Fromm.

OP
R

rudyr123

Aug 11, 2016
Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Darla
Darla is beautiful by the way :)

Thank you!!

Staph infection was my thought from the description of sores. As for food,I feed Taste of the Wild Pacific Salmon.

Thank you, I have purchased the Salmon bag as well as Coconut oil. We are hoping this goes well. I know not to change her food entirely at once and to do it over the course of 5-7 days. What's a good ratio you all recommend?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes we went to the vet and he took a swab under the microscope and said it was bacterial and gave us a cleansing shampoo for Antibacterial and Antifungal (ProHex). We've bathed him about 6 times now the vet said it might take up to 10. We thoroughly wet his coat and massage the shampoo until it's a generous lather and leave it on him for 10 minutes then rinse. We already do give him a spoonful of coconut oil daily. We may consider switching his food as well as he tends to be a little bit yeasty still on the Fromm.

Yea, even though it is a great food may not be working for him.... look into Acana

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Should be fine... I use food grade unrefined coconut oil

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.