delyrium

Jul 13, 2016
Portland, OR
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Joni
Hi all,

My new addition, Joni, was on antibiotics for two weeks for skin infections related to allergies as well as some interdigital cysts that were starting. Meds seemed to take care of it all! She's been off of them for a week, and I came home from work to this:

IMG_0495.JPG

It looks BAD!!! And it looks different than the infection she was just treated for–thinking it might be a hot spot or over grooming because she's been itchy since getting off the antibiotics? Thoughts? It's pretty raw and inflamed and I'm sure she's super uncomfortable! And it happened quickly–I left for work at 9 and it wasn't there, came home at 4 and here it is.

In terms of allergies, she's on Acana pork and butternut squash, which is the food the previous owners had her on and they said it's the only thing she does well on. She doesn't get anything else, though I have recently introduced coconut oil–she could be having a reaction to that or it's environmental since she's in a new home now.

I'll call the vet, but wanted some advice for what to do immediately to treat.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Awe poor baby. I would clean it first. If she's itchy, maybe give her a Benadryl to help the urge to bite or scratch. It does look like a hot spot to me.

Do you happen to have any Vetericyn? If not, just to soothe it for now maybe some neosporin, or cortisone. Just be sure she doesn't try to lick it.

Linking the vetericyn for you, if you don't have it, I suggest buying and keep on hand for breakouts like this. It's totally safe if she licks it too.

Vetericyn Plus All Animal Wound & Skin Care 16oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00425DZTM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_oB-Qxb7Q4N5X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
delyrium

delyrium

Jul 13, 2016
Portland, OR
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Joni
Awe poor baby. I would clean it first. If she's itchy, maybe give her a Benadryl to help the urge to bite or scratch. It does look like a hot spot to me.

Do you happen to have any Vetericyn? If not, just to soothe it for now maybe some neosporin, or cortisone. Just be sure she doesn't try to lick it.

Linking the vetericyn for you, if you don't have it, I suggest buying and keep on hand for breakouts like this. It's totally safe if she licks it too.

Vetericyn Plus All Animal Wound & Skin Care 16oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00425DZTM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_oB-Qxb7Q4N5X2

Thanks so much for your response! She seems really itchy and miserable, and now I'm seeing that another hotspot is staring on the other leg. :(

You totally confirmed my plan of action, so thank you for that! I just got back from picking up both Vetericyn and Benadryl, so I'll move forward with that until I can get her to the vet on Saturday.

Hate to see her in so much discomfort. Poor girl!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks so much for your response! She seems really itchy and miserable, and now I'm seeing that another hotspot is staring on the other leg. :(

You totally confirmed my plan of action, so thank you for that! I just got back from picking up both Vetericyn and Benadryl, so I'll move forward with that until I can get her to the vet on Saturday.

Hate to see her in so much discomfort. Poor girl!

Perfect!!!!! Both should help lots. The Benadryl will keep her calm & the Vetericyn should heal her up in a few days. Try eliminating the coconut oil for now, just in case that's the culprit.

Benadryl - 1mg per pound - start on lower dose and see if that works. Tyson is a big boy and I give him half the dose. Full one knocks him out, haha.

OP
delyrium

delyrium

Jul 13, 2016
Portland, OR
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Joni
Sounds like a plan! Hope it's not the coconut oil because boy does she love it!

She's 47 pounds on last weigh in, so I was thinking of starting with 25mg of Benadryl. Sound about right?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

She's 47 pounds on last weigh in, so I was thinking of starting with 25mg of Benadryl. Sound about right?

Perfect [emoji1362] I also give Tyson 25mg. Hopefully that is works, give her one now, and then another tomorrow when you leave so hopefully she won't mess with it much while your gone. Also load up the Vetericyn! Let me know how it looks tomorrow!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

How is Joni doing? any better?

OP
delyrium

delyrium

Jul 13, 2016
Portland, OR
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Joni
Thanks for checking in! She's looking a little better today after lots of Vetericyn and a couple doses of Benadryl. But she has one on the other leg now too, and she's walking a little funny, probably from the pain. :( I'll keep up with this treatment and keep you all posted! Thanks so much for your help.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks for checking in! She's looking a little better today after lots of Vetericyn and a couple doses of Benadryl. But she has one on the other leg now too, and she's walking a little funny, probably from the pain. :( I'll keep up with this treatment and keep you all posted! Thanks so much for your help.

Start treating the other one too, hopefully in a day or two should be better. Poor baby.

OP
delyrium

delyrium

Jul 13, 2016
Portland, OR
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Joni
Sweet baby girl it does the same exact thing to Tyson just half the dose knocks him out!

Awww, yeah. She's definitely calm and drowsy—but at least she's not scratching at her legs!

OP
delyrium

delyrium

Jul 13, 2016
Portland, OR
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Joni
Question. I have an appointment set up for this on Saturday. If this treatment is working, should I still take her in to the vet? Of course I want her seen but the bully vet is almost an hour away and it's supposed to be mid 90s on Saturday. I have AC in the car of course but not sure how cool it stays in the back. My one concern would be that she needs antibiotics. Thoughts here? Do you all always take your doggies to the vet for hot spots or just home treat?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Question. I have an appointment set up for this on Saturday. If this treatment is working, should I still take her in to the vet? Of course I want her seen but the bully vet is almost an hour away and it's supposed to be mid 90s on Saturday. I have AC in the car of course but not sure how cool it stays in the back. My one concern would be that she needs antibiotics. Thoughts here? Do you all always take your doggies to the vet for hot spots or just home treat?

If you start to notice improvement no need to go in. Generally you should be able to treat at home, but if it gets worse or you notice no improvement then it might need something stronger like Animax (from vet) I've never had to take him in for a hot spot, took him once for staph bc it was out of control and I couldn't heal it, so he was given meds & ointment for that.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.