General Question what to do when he gets excited and has hard time getting back to normal

Puzzles

Aug 9, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Puzzles
I have a 7 year old male that has numerous health issues and the vet doesn't dare put under to have neutered , so when he gets excited and then he has a bleeding issue when erect and what a mess , is there anyone that my have any info or same problem that has encountered this problem, would be appreciative for any help or info..

Thanks Puzzles

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
HI Puzzles! Welcome to EBN!!!! I only have experience with female Bullies, wish I could help! I'll tag some members that may be able to help you! Again Welcome, so glad you're here!!! :welcome4:

I have a 7 year old male that has numerous health issues and the vet doesn't dare put under to have neutered , so when he gets excited and then he has a bleeding issue when erect and what a mess , is there anyone that my have any info or same problem that has encountered this problem, would be appreciative for any help or info..

Thanks Puzzles

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My bully use to get that excited, but he never had any bleeding. The best thing is to distract him when it'starting so it may stop before is really full blown. In our case there was not much to doo if I didn't "catch it" in the beginning. There is also a hormone capsule what can be planted under the skin to hormonally castrate him. He wouldn't get that excited any more.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
They do have a non-surgical procedure that injects into the testacles to neuter and reduces testosterone levels by half. Its called Zeuterin but I didn't feel there was enough research for me. My dog sits when he gets an erection and it goes away. So while you can't prevent you can definitely calm the dog by having them sit or lay down.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
No experience with this but if the above techniques don't work for him,
I'd suggest using belly bands (as they do for incontinence) to help with
messiness.

Give him hugs from us and hugs for you!

Please update us with what you try & helps the most.

Praying for y'all.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Bizarre behavior to say the least. I'm sorry to hear about your boy's health issues. I have no experience with what you describe but I can assure you that it's not normal and probably another medical issue to add to your laundry list.

The only thing that comes to mind concerning these symptoms is urethral prolapse. Your Vet should be able to determine this with a physical exam.

There is possibly some relevant info here...
How would you manage a prolapsed urethra in an English Bulldog?

I wish you and your boy the best of luck!

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
:hiya::EBNwelcome::nice2meetu: I'm sorry I don't have any experience with this type of thing. So sorry you're having to go through it with Puzzles. I will keep you guys in my prayers

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=16214]Puzzles[/MENTION].... gets excited and then he has a*bleeding*issue when erect*? My question to the vet would be about the bleeding part? Ask the vet about Prostate disease.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
[MENTION=16214]Puzzles[/MENTION] First, welcome to EBN. Please peruse the site and use the search function for a topic and there maybe a thread or two that may answer your question(s). For example (please see http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/49299-erection-scare.html ). The link is only to one thread for the search term for "erect." Please read the thread to read what other EBNers have written.

Although this may not be the condition Puzzles has but it may describe some symptoms that you may have observed.

Well this is what I found on pet md.

Paraphimosis and Phimosis in Dogs

Phimosis is a condition that causes a dog to be unable to protrude its penis from its outer orifice. Paraphimosis, on the other hand, refers to the dog's inability to retract its penis back in to the sheath.

Both of these medical conditions can occur in male dogs and cats, and at any age. If you would like to learn more about how phimosis and paraphimosis affect cats, please visit this page in the PetMD health library.

Symptoms and Types

The dog's inability to protrude its penis may go unnoticed until it tries to copulate with a female. Also, if the dog is having trouble urinating, it may be a sign of this medical disorder. If the animal experiences problems retracting its penis into the sheath, you may notice it licking the exterior of its penis. If it occurs over a prolonged period, there could also be fluid accumulation in the tissues (edema) or swelling in the area.

Causes

The inability to retract the penis (paraphimosis) often occurs when the dog has a small opening (orifice), and in many cases is a birth defect. If the dog is unable to protrude the penis (phimosis), it may have swelling, or hairs that are obstructing the penis. In some cases, injury or a neurological disease can cause this medical condition.

Diagnosis

With paraphimosis, the veterinarian will be able to view the exposed penis and/or gland areas upon examination. The goal is to identify the underlying medical cause for the condition for treatment options.

Treatment

In some instances surgery can help enlarge the opening of the sheath (orifice), making it possible for the penis to protrude. Also, veterinarians can remove tissue surrounding the penile area to allow for a normal, functioning penis.

Immediate treatment is necessary for dogs that are unable to retract its penis into the sheath, as damage to the tissues can occur. Techniques to repair or aid in this medical condition can include removing any foreign objects that are present, lubricating the penile area for retraction, surgical enhancement of the orifice area if it is too small, and catheters if the dog is unable to urinate. At times, ointments and topical medications are prescribed to correct phimosis.

Living and Management

With treatment, both conditions have a positive prognosis. However, dogs that are unable to retract their penis into the shaft need immediate medical attention, as there are several complications that can occur if the penis is left outside of the body for extended periods of time.

Prevention

There are currently no known preventative methods for either medical condition.

I hope this helps. --rj

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree with the gang... bleeding does not seem right what has the vet mentioned about that, anything?

OP
P

Puzzles

Aug 9, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Puzzles
Thanks For the input and info will look into the info and let yu'll know again thanks

Puzzles

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.