Help Needed! I think Wallygator has an ear infection...

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
First off I'm going to admit that I haven't been keeping up w/the pups like I should be... I've been on vacation for the last couple of weeks. This weekend when I was brushing him and giving him his weekly groom, I noticed that Wally's ear was nasty, and now I've noticed him rubbing that side of his face on the carpet. I had some ear cleansing solution that I put in his ear, and it says you can do that a couple of times a day. At what point should I head to the vets?!! I can't really take him before Friday... this week Lily starts back at school, and our schedule is pretty crazy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Try some apple cider vinegar-- make him shake his head to help clear it up.

If he is still itching come Friday you'll need to take him in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I would take the Wallmeister to the vet. If you do...do not clean the ears because they may need to take a scrapping to check for mites. Medical terms include Otitis Externa--outer ear; Otitis Media--middle ear; and Otitis Interna--inner ear.

It's a penny for your thoughts but everyone want to put their two cents worth in. So that is my two cents worth. We hope Wally is feeling better soon.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Agree with Christine, give it a day or two with the cleanings and see if you notice any improvement. If not, then get him in so it doesn't get worse. The cleaning may help though if you caught it early!

OP
ddnene

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Try some apple cider vinegar-- make him shake his head to help clear it up.

If he is still itching come Friday you'll need to take him in

I'm going to try that when I get back from the store... Thanks hon!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lambeau is having a heck of a summer thanks to allergies-- had him in for a check today because he is just miserable and my vet said he is yeasty -- witch hazel and AVC to keep them clean -- hopefully that is Wally and you caught it, but any sign if pain just get him on Friday

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
No playing the Blame Game, Honey...you know this could happen if you
were there every day & cleaning ears every day, comes out of nowhere.
You just happened to be on vacation when it did...stop it now!

In the middle of another, unexpected move a couple years ago, and summer
allergies, Cami got a really nasty ear (didn't have a Vet yet) so I did the ACV
a couple days and it cleared on it's own. Set up a Friday appt. and hope you
get to cancel it because he's better...praying now that WallyGator ear heals.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Poor Wally :( I can relate I have strep and an ear infection right now. I hope the ACV works! Hugs and healing thoughts and prayers from Murray and I

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Ugh, Tracey. Tate had yeast in his ears recently too. They just cleaned them out. It's been a rough summer for both Tate and Finn too as far as skin issues/allergies go! they're both just scratchy, and lots of gunk in their folds and wrinkles. No fun. Hope Wally will feel better soon!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION]

From [MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION]*/

SarahIt's been a little while since I've posted so to catch up...Sgt.Schultz is turning 10 tomorrow and is still full of himself. His health has been pretty good (lots of maintenance) but I wouldn't trade him for the world.I've been home cooking for about 3 years (in a pinch we use a grain free honest kitchen that we add a protein to) and this seems to work well for his*system.His*chronic ear infections have been healed with a blend of essential oils that we apply weekly with a cotton balls - better than any antibiotic or vet supplied ear drop.Here is the essential oil recipe for ear infections or just maintaining good ear*health.Spray*on cotton ball and wipe out ears ...don't spray directly in*ears.In*a 2 ounce glass spray bottle, combine:15 drops Lavender15 drops Geranium15 drops Frankincense15 drops Basil10 drops ArborvitaeFractionated*Coconut Oil*to fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way fullShake bottle well before using. Use once a week to treat ears that have an ear infection or once a month as a preventative measure in ears that are prone to recurrent ear infectionsIf ears are especially inflamed or infected, dilute 2 drops of lavender in 4 drops of fractionated*coconut oil*on a cotton ball and apply lightly to soothe the inflamed ear area.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
WALLYGATOR GET THOSE PRECIOUS EARS WELL HONEY. I WOULD TAKE HIM TO THE VET TO SEE WHAT IS GOING ON. ELMO HAS BEEN ITCHING HIS LEFT EAR ALOT FOR THE PAST 2 DAYS, THE VET GAVE ME SOME MED. IT IS CALLED MICONOSOL LOTION, 6 DROPS IN EACH EAR TWICE A DAY FOR 14 DAYS, I HAVE USED THIS BEFORE ON ELMO, IT WORKS GREAT FOR HIS EARS.

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
So sorry to hear Wallygator's got an ear infection. And I agree with Carol... don't blame yourself, it just happens. Jersey's got one too! Lot's of good suggestions here, sending healing thoughts and prayers that the little man is well very soon! :pray:

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Ruthie has been battling an ear infection ALL summer. We are currently on her 4th round of antibiotic drops. It's been non-stop.

I clean her ear once a day with a regular ear cleaner and then wait about an hr then put her drops in. I would take him once it starts to stink if the vinegar and cleaner doesn't work. Ruthie's is so deep in her ear I took her to the vet in May thinking she was going deaf. It's been horrible. I told the vet if it doesn't clear up this time, he's going to have a huge problem on his hands cause obviously something more is going on.

I hope Wally is ok!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] how is the Gator boy doing?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Checking in on your handsome boy & you.

Hoping Willow is behaving better too!

Most Reactions