Oct 21, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor and Henry, Roxie (2009-2013)
image.jpeg

Hi all-

It's been quite a while since I posted here, but this site is certainly my go-to for all things bully!

A couple of weeks ago, a hard knot popped up on Henry's left front forearm, or at least that's when I first noticed it and I pay an awful lot of attention to my kid. We went to the vet and had X-rays done, and there is no bone involvement. She noted how little he cared while she examined it (pushing, poking), but hesitated to biopsy it given the location (near/under tendons) and prescribed an anti-inflammatory to start in hopes it may resolve. No luck. Because I'm staring at it every day, I can't even be sure it has improved. I only know it's still there. We go back for a follow up tomorrow, but in the meantime, I wanted to ask all of you...ever been down this road with your bullies? Any idea about what I may be dealing with or what might help?

Thanks in advance!

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
No experience here but with people they measure it or draw around it with permanent marker to assess spreading or growth. Measure diameter to assess growth.

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Hi Traci, I agree with Vikinggirl, it may be a cyst (fluid filled benign mass) or a lipoma (fatty mass also benign). An ultrasound would be able to tell you what it is. The ultrasound would also be able to identify if it is a vascular mass (a mass that is fed by veins and arteries). Vascular masses usually need to be removed, benign masses usually don't unless they are large or obstructing something. Some bully breeds are prone to lipomas and cysts and it's not unusual to have more than one. Hope this helps.

View attachment 100438

Hi all-

It's been quite a while since I posted here, but this site is certainly my go-to for all things bully!

A couple of weeks ago, a hard knot popped up on Henry's left front forearm, or at least that's when I first noticed it and I pay an awful lot of attention to my kid. We went to the vet and had X-rays done, and there is no bone involvement. She noted how little he cared while she examined it (pushing, poking), but hesitated to biopsy it given the location (near/under tendons) and prescribed an anti-inflammatory to start in hopes it may resolve. No luck. Because I'm staring at it every day, I can't even be sure it has improved. I only know it's still there. We go back for a follow up tomorrow, but in the meantime, I wanted to ask all of you...ever been down this road with your bullies? Any idea about what I may be dealing with or what might help?

Thanks in advance!

OP
tdy426

tdy426

Oct 21, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. What confuses me about this one is the hard nature. I had to deal with fatty cysts before on my beagle/basset mix, but this seems different and of course has me worried. Maybe I will ask about an ultrasound as an alternative to a biopsy. The vet suggested he would need to be sedated for the biopsy, and I certainly don't want to put him under if I don't have to!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm going to tag some members to see if anyone has dealt w/this before, but from what I remember I think they were just fatty cysts...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
View attachment 100438

Hi all-

Thanks in advance!

I was thinking cyst too .... how is it today and have the vet thought about an ultrasound as others suggested?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have no experience with this either. hoping for the best though.

OP
tdy426

tdy426

Oct 21, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sorry for the delay everyone. The start of the new school year is kicking my tail! The vet was able to do a needle biopsy without sedating him, and she came back with something that looked like clear gelatin. After consulting with another vet, they felt confident it was synovial fluid (also showing up on google as a ganglion cyst). Though she removed very little mass, the bump has greatly reduced in size, and is expected to resolve itself over time. Super thankful for the good news, but jeez what a scare! Love this boy so much!! ��

Hope our experience can help someone else. Thanks again!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=10122]tdy426[/MENTION] Happy to hear the good news about Henry's lump!One less worry for you at this time of year!

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
I am late reading this post . I am glad your baby's lump is not serious . My girl , Porkchop had bump but it turned out to be a tumor. We had it removed early this year . She's been doing well ever since .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online