hollybear63

Aug 1, 2016
Omaha, NE
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ozzy
Hello, I have a 9 month old english bulldog Ozzy. His skin is sensitive, but he seems to develop itchy maroon colored fur in between his toes and underneath and inside his paw pads. I usually wipe them out with baby wipes. He just completed a round of minocycline following his cherry eye tuck surgery and now the paws seem worse. I'm thinking yeast? I ordered the duoxo wipes and shampoo on amazon. Can the vet offer anything to help such as an oral yeast medication, or should I just keep cleaning his feet and wait for the wipes and shampoo? The vet did mention one time that he will probably need to be on some type of skin medication. I did read about some nasty side effects though. I'm willing to change his diet, but don't know what will work best. The switch to nutro grain free helped a ton from science diet. I'm wondering if there is something better. My vet thinks he should eat science diet and take meds, but every med makes him nutty. SO, paw recommendations and food advice would be greatly appreciated. This is my first bulldog. Thanks

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Does sound like yeast... Avoid white potato and all grains to start. Add some apple cider vinegar food or water to help..

And of course vet wants on Science Diet... He sells it and get a percentage of sale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hi Holly...Jewel and Bentley sent their regards and they also want to know if Ozzy is related to Ozzy Fudd (Elmer Fudd's nephew)....Famous song Kill Da Wabbit. Sorry I digress.

Sounds like Minocycline is an antibiotic and if taken orally not only kill bad bacteria but also the good which in turn making Ozzy more susceptible to yeast. Here is a thread about yeasty paws. http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...h/20245-raretts-pickled-paws-yeasty-paws.html

I hope this helps.

TooTooMommy

Jun 17, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meaty, Sophie, & sometimes fosters
Hi.......our Meaty has VERY itchy paws, too---poor guy! You might try soaking his paws in warm water and Epsom salts. Last summer, Meaty licked and chewed them until one of his
pads was shredded! Our vet recommended a medication called "Apoquel", but last summer, it was impossi-bull to get!
Once they FINALLY got it in the office and Meaty started on it, it helped a lot !!! Unfortunately, it's not working quite as well this summer---arggh! We give Benadryl and do the soaks and it helps. Good Luck! :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.