URGENT!!! 4th day in ICU - neurological issue unclear. Possibly Encephalitis or Lymphoma

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sendng you and Jaxson tons of prayers and strength... someone here did have a similar situation, but can't remember the screen name.

have they rules out epilepsy?

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Sorry to hear about Jaxson and hope the Vet figures out what the issue is. I don't really read this section of the forum that often and it looks like I have missed some big events.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
What a lovely boy! I do hope you get some good news soon and that he will make a full recovery. Thoughts and prayers with you.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Jaxson is an exceedingly handsome bully and is very loved, as can tell from your post.

Joining the strength of my prayers for him with those of our bully lovers here, please
keep us updated on Jaxson's reports.

I wish there was more to be able to do, such misery & worry, sending big hugs & hoping
his Vets find the answer straight away & meds to control the issue.

Praying Jaxson lives a long & healthy life with you.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
I am Praying for you Jaxson to make a Speedy Recovery. I Pray that the Vet can find out what is going on with this Precious Jaxson. Sending Prayers and Love for You Jaxson. You are a Very Handsome Young man. I Loved all of your pictures.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Any news on Jaxson? [MENTION=16188]Jaxsonthebulldog[/MENTION]

OP
J

Jaxsonthebulldog

Aug 1, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Jaxson
Thank you all for your warm thoughts, it really does help.

Jaxson was taken out of ICU yesterday. The neurologist wants to wait a week to see if the steroids have an impact on the situation, and continue with further tests on Tuesday. We have brought him home for now where we can monitor him. His symptoms are still the same - lethargic, disconnected, weak... he will stare at the wall or just stand for extended periods of time with his head down. Eating and drinking water is a struggle, but so far today he ate pretty well. Any suggestions on what to do about eating/drinking?

The hardest part is not knowing what he has and therefore not knowing if we can cure it.

For now he is sleeping, and we'll try going out to play basketball when he wakes up.

Thank you all again for your comments and stories.

https://www.instagram.com/jaxsonthebulldog/

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thank you all for your warm thoughts, it really does help.

Jaxson was taken out of ICU yesterday. The neurologist wants to wait a week to see if the steroids have an impact on the situation, and continue with further tests on Tuesday. We have brought him home for now where we can monitor him. His symptoms are still the same - lethargic, disconnected, weak... he will stare at the wall or just stand for extended periods of time with his head down. Eating and drinking water is a struggle, but so far today he ate pretty well. Any suggestions on what to do about eating/drinking?

The hardest part is not knowing what he has and therefore not knowing if we can cure it.

For now he is sleeping, and we'll try going out to play basketball when he wakes up.

Thank you all again for your comments and stories.

https://www.instagram.com/jaxsonthebulldog/

Wow...if it hurts my heart as you describe him, I cry for your pain.

Not knowing IS the worst and I'm praying hard God gives answers.

Daily...every day, I join this awesome, bully loving Group that's praying
for y'all & Jaxson. Sending HUGE Texas Love <3

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
This is a better update than the last few days.

I am glad to hear the Jaxon is home but not so happy is that you/we still do not know a diagnosis. The standing with the head down describes my Bentley from time to time. I call Bentley's name and scratch him under his chin. He usually perks up. But this has been going on since his surgery and has had very limited activity now for 11 weeks

I guess I would shower Jaxon with love and as you mentioned play basketball...a game he likes. But I would not over do it as you are aware.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Are you trying to hand feed,,, might help? Water--- try ice chips or a syringe to keep him hydrated

Prayers continue for your handsome boy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jaxsonthebulldog

Aug 1, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Jaxson
We have been hand feeding him, but the bugger manages to spit out the food, same goes with the medication...but constantly trying.
Will try the ice chips a/o a syringe. Thank you for your suggestions.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We have been hand feeding him, but the bugger manages to spit out the food, same goes with the medication...but constantly trying.
Will try the ice chips a/o a syringe. Thank you for your suggestions.

I had a puppy w/hydrocephalus and we had to hand feed him. We would give him water in a syringe, and hand feed him clumps of wet food... try anything to tempt his appetite canned dog food, or maybe some beef/chicken w/rice. For meds what I do is make a meatball w/meat or cheese that way they swallow it. I also give Walter his meds hidden in a small ball of peanut butter, it sticks in their mouth and they can't separate the pill.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I'm glad to read he's home now. Chumley had a grand mal seizure about 2 months ago. Don't know how much insight or help I can give as his situation seems a lot different. I depended so much on other members like [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] for information and they were awesome! Chum is almost 6 and had no history of them..he does have head tremors since he was a puppy. one Sunday he had a few petit mal seizures and then the big one that night. I know how you felt because it was extremely traumatic. We rushed him to emergency and they out him on phenobarbital an suggested an MRI saying usually in dogs over 6 they recommend it to see if brain tumor. He's almost 6 and I went for it. No tumors were found and vet said treatment for now is keep him on phenobarbital for 6 months then take him off if no more seizures and see if they come back. If they do it could be epilepsy. So far it's 2 and 1/2 months without another one. He was very lethargic at the beginning and unsteady on his feet but has improved since then.
i hope you get to the bottom of what's going on and Jax gets better. Sorry I'm not much help but I know how you feel .
praying for Jax!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Wow so nice to have him home. It's like kids. They're sick and we hand spoon them, sleep with them till the start getting up on their own.

I dont know what J eats. If it's kibbles, give him real food like cook turkey and veggies till he's all better. Sneak his meds in it. Home cooking, dogs dont need as much water as it's already full of moisture. Spoil him!!! :)

OP
J

Jaxsonthebulldog

Aug 1, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Jaxson
Thank you for all the suggestions. He is eating better now- boiled chicken, veggies, rice and a mix of canned dog food. Medication seems to be going down as well. He has been having twitches on the right side of his face and last night he had what looked like a mild seizure. He was moaning, slightly agitated and then suddenly urinated - which is completely out of character for him.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.