General Question Bald patches

O-G Bullies

Aug 1, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Olaf and Gizmo
Hello bully lovers 😊
We have an 8month old boy and his name is Olaf. He started breaking out with bald patches on his body 🙁 The dermatologist took cultures of them to figure out what it can be. We are still waiting for the results. Just wanted to see if anyone has had this happen to their English Bulldog??

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    706.8 KB · Views: 159
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    776.3 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    904.1 KB · Views: 142

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hello bully lovers 
We have an 8month old boy and his name is Olaf. He started breaking out with bald patches on his body  The dermatologist took cultures of them to figure out what it can be. We are still waiting for the results. Just wanted to see if anyone has had this happen to their English Bulldog??

Before the patches fall off are they scabby like & crusty? Looks like staph (allergy related) to me.

OP
O-G Bullies

O-G Bullies

Aug 1, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Olaf and Gizmo
Before the patches started he was diagnosed with mange. That was treated and he no longer has that. Then he started itchy and does have a yeast problem now :( The dermatologist has him on a trail diet now to rule out food allergies.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
One of two things... Staph infection or the mange returned, but I'm leaning towards staph.

If he has scabs that take the fur with it when the scab is removed, it is staph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
O-G Bullies

O-G Bullies

Aug 1, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Olaf and Gizmo
She tested him twice and came back negative for mange. Yes, his fur does fall off with a scab! ☹️ Maybe it is staph and that's why he is getting bald. He has a lot of scabs that fall off with hair. I just hope his results come back fast and with an answer.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She tested him twice and came back negative for mange. Yes, his fur does fall off with a scab! ☹️ Maybe it is staph and that's why he is getting bald. He has a lot of scabs that fall off with hair. I just hope his results come back fast and with an answer.

OK -- the scab with fur loss -- it is most likely staph infection. Will need strong dose of antibiotics and find the allergen that is weakening his immune system. They are the normal reason for staph -- allergies/weak immune system.

What food is he currently eating? Brand and protein?

OP
O-G Bullies

O-G Bullies

Aug 1, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Olaf and Gizmo
He is on a trail diet now to rule out beef allergy so he eats Natural Balance sweet potato and venison. We give him his vitamins every day (NuVet Plus) I don't think he has a weak immune system, well at least I hope he doesn't.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He is on a trail diet now to rule out beef allergy so he eats Natural Balance sweet potato and venison. We give him his vitamins every day (NuVet Plus) I don't think he has a weak immune system, well at least I hope he doesn't.

It could be environmental allergies too --- just like us, grass, weeds, pollen, tress... yuk, yuk, yuk. Lambeau is a walking allergen... 4 types of grass, three weeds, two trees, dandelions, pigweed, pollen -- his eyes never stop running

OP
O-G Bullies

O-G Bullies

Aug 1, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Olaf and Gizmo
Oh no poor baby. The dermatologist does what to test for environmental after we do this food trail. She also said he has a yeast problem. He does lick his paws A LOT!! He also has a very pungent smell around his face.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Oh no poor baby. The dermatologist does what to test for environmental after we do this food trail. She also said he has a yeast problem. He does lick his paws A LOT!! He also has a very pungent smell around his face.

Try to eliminate the potato! Tyson was horrible on any kind of potato.

OP
O-G Bullies

O-G Bullies

Aug 1, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Olaf and Gizmo
Try to eliminate the potato! Tyson was horrible on any kind of potato.

Horrible in what way? I make sweet potato in the oven in stripes and he loves them!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Horrible in what way? I make sweet potato in the oven in stripes and he loves them!

Allergies, itching, licking. Once I eliminated it all, it all settled down.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
you DEFINITELY need antibiotics to keep the staph in check...it will keep going. and i agree with the others, an allergy is weakening the immune system. the staph will return if the allergen isn't eliminated. Lola has recurring staph infections. The last rounds of antibiotics were LONG and annoying.

OP
O-G Bullies

O-G Bullies

Aug 1, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Olaf and Gizmo
So it turned out to be a staph infection. The vet put him on two antibiotics and liver supplements. Thank you for everyone's advice!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
So it turned out to be a staph infection. The vet put him on two antibiotics and liver supplements. Thank you for everyone's advice!

Yep :) it will reoccur if you don't remove the source. Double check the food I know I mentioned trying something without potatoes. Grain free, chicken free.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.