booba

Mar 12, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
booba
Hello dear members

i took my bulldogs for a walk Booba who is 3 years old was fine but Coco is a little over a year was breathing loud with terrible sound

at some point her tongue turned blue so i picked her up on my arms and it was normal in about few minutes later

then i put them both in the car and all was good when i had AC on

she is breathing like that loud every time we take her out and some times i notice she would throw up a little foam

i was reading about that they can die if walking in the heat and choke and i read that surgery on the soft palate may help is that true?

also need some suggestion for under her rope and pink chin

Thanks so much

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I am glad that Coco was able to recover from her episode! That is scary!
Yes, many bulldogs have severe breathing issues if they have a particularly elongated soft palate. It sounds like that is a likely possibility for Coco. We would sometimes have issues with Frank and one day he was running around too much and got overheated, aspirated on water and was struggling to breathe as his tongue and gums turned blue. We rushed him to the emergency vet and he was intubated. After a couple of days, he had surgery to shorten his soft palate and widen his nostrils. He pulled through luckily but it was touch-and-go for a week. Now he is fully recovered and breathes so much better. We haven't had any issues since. We exercise him moderately.

If you have a bulldog vet that you trust, I would suggest that you have Coco's respiratory tract evaluated.

Tazza

Jun 21, 2016
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Taz
Hi my bulldog did the same a number of times and use to collapse after throwing up alot of foam. He recently also had his soft palate and nostrils operated, his breathing is much better.

Hope the best!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
That sounds super scary! I would be very careful with walking her and see a good bulldog vet and then go from there. Things can go wrong very quickly if they overheat :(

I can't walk my dogs here at all in summer, the temperatures go beyond (35 degrees C) 95 degrees F here. In winter we walk them but only for about 10-15 minutes.

Hugs <3 I hope Coco is doing good <3

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I agree with the above posts. Both Jewel and Bentley have had their soft palate shortened and nostrils opened. We hope for the best for your Coco.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Sounds like your Coco overheated, I hope that she was able to recover ok...

I just don't walk my bulldogs in the summertime, they can overheat quickly in this weather and the humidity in our area is horrible. We do short periods of play in the yard or in the house...

As others have suggested, have her palate evaluated and her nares. I had both surgeries for Walter and his breathing improved dramatically.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello dear members

i took my bulldogs for a walk Booba who is 3 years old was fine but Coco is a little over a year was breathing loud with terrible sound

at some point her tongue turned blue so i picked her up on my arms and it was normal in about few minutes later

then i put them both in the car and all was good when i had AC on

she is breathing like that loud every time we take her out and some times i notice she would throw up a little foam

i was reading about that they can die if walking in the heat and choke and i read that surgery on the soft palate may help is that true?

also need some suggestion for under her rope and pink chin

Thanks so much

How are they today?

OP
B

booba

Mar 12, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
booba
thank you all so much
they are doing well today :) DSC_1216.jpg

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
thank you all so much
they are doing well today :)View attachment 100385

That is great news.

If Coco did have heat issues...be careful in the future because Coco will be more susceptible to a heat injury.

Again glad to hear they are doing well.

Pennyblossom

Mar 4, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny and Bristol
I am so glad to hear she is doing better today. I know how scary overheating can be. Bristol had to have her nares and sp surgery and she is still so susceptible to overheating because of her trachea and redundant tissue that she barely gets to go potty outside in this heat and the internist warned me she may not ever be able to walk even in cooler temps.
I know it is hard when you have one that can walk and one that doesn't, as we have a big one also, we just give a little extra love when we come in to the one that isn't allowed on walks.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online