Itching, Scratching OH MY!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Well I call the better half just before I get under way to go to mi casa. Yesterday I call and the better half tells me she is headed to the vet. I asked what was wrong and she said that Bentley is itching and scratching and he actually excoriated his neck, ear, and under his leg. Now Jewel and Bentley get into scraps over toys etc which is short lived by us intervening and this happened the other evening. So we though the one area was a bite from Jewel. I met her at the vet and the diagnosis is dermatitis. Yes in layman's terms it is inflammation of the skin. Much like when one gets a dose of poison ivy. Well Bentley received a shot of antibiotics, we received a steroidal spray, and prednisone.

The vet shaved the area to expose the skin and this is what I saw....
38d91db76a7aa3db4a41e7aa6c81c1de.jpg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=11639]rjisaterp[/MENTION] Poor Bentley! Sure looks like hot spots-which show up at of nowhere-they are not there-and then that!! So sorry he (and YOu all) have to deal with that,but I know you will keep at it,and he will heal up! Glad your wife saw it,as it spreads like wildfire. Park that spaceship for a few and tend to Bentley!! I know you will.

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
@rjisaterp Poor Bentley! Sure looks like hot spots-which show up at of nowhere-they are not there-and then that!! So sorry he (and YOu all) have to deal with that,but I know you will keep at it,and he will heal up! Glad your wife saw it,as it spreads like wildfire. Park that spaceship for a few and tend to Bentley!! I know you will.

Yes indeed. This guy is definitely on injured reserve. First his knee, then the seroma on his knee (which is slowly going away--heat twice a day), and now this dermatitis crap.

Our vet even called us later in the evening to ask how Bentley was doing and we told her the treatment has slowed down his itching. This morning it did not look as inflamed as the picture shows. The wife will see him as she gets home before me and she'll see how he looks.

Bentley has not played any ball while he has been on injured reserve. Maybe this is his way of showing DT's.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Oh my poor Bentley! I know that feeling for sure, been there. I'm glad he's on the mend with meds, and the area being shaved will help alot! Feel better sweet boy!

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Poor guy! It was a good thing that your wife noticed it immediately and took him to the vet. Skin stuff can spread so fast, it is unbelievable. I hope his recovery goes well - sending positive thoughts to you all.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Poor boy, hope he gets better soon.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
With all the dogs I took in over the years I never had any hot spots so didn't know
what the where until we bought a Springer Spaniel puppy (they have sensitive skin)
and a Vet Tech DIPPED him without our knowledge. Poor baby's skin was raw (at 1st
they denied any clue) but finally acknowledged the flea dip on him. OMG, was I pissed,
anyways it progressed into a severe yeast infection, what a nightmare! The last time we
ever left our dog (without us there) to be groomed and this was years ago.

Good on your wife and those meds get right on it, Group Hug! xoxoxo

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
:w00t: Holy cowabunga!!!! Now that looks painful. The poor little thing...like you said, no break. Im sure all will turn around soon. Bentley is a real trooper!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG... poor boy! The fur hides so much from us.... I hope he heals up quickly.

Hugs to you sweet boy

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Owwwww!!! The poor little guy! He sure has had a rough couple of months! Sending warm thoughts and prayers for speedy recovery! I think you're right about the Ball DT's...

Yes indeed. This guy is definitely on injured reserve. First his knee, then the seroma on his knee (which is slowly going away--heat twice a day), and now this dermatitis crap.

Our vet even called us later in the evening to ask how Bentley was doing and we told her the treatment has slowed down his itching. This morning it did not look as inflamed as the picture shows. The wife will see him as she gets home before me and she'll see how he looks.

Bentley has not played any ball while he has been on injured reserve. Maybe this is his way of showing DT's.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
We just visited the vet Friday for basically the same issue..We are on medicated baths twice weekly and spray.This summer has cause havoc on our babies skin.Prayers for healing!!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Tazza

Jun 21, 2016
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Taz
Poor boy. Taz often got dermatitis and was treated with medication and an ointment. Since he started hills zd prescription his been ok better than before. I've started him on coconut oil and i think thats help his skin issues.

hope for a quick recovery for Bentley.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.