Real Name
    Jim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chief
    Likes (Received)

Default My dog has demodex

Has anyone dealt with demodex. We have been dealing with it for months on and off. The only time my dog isn't irritated by it is when he goes to the vet for a dip once a week. At $40 a dip, additional charge when he needs to see the vet, its expensive. I have been told to try Ivomectin. Anyone have any other solutions or have you tried Ivomectin for demodex?

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My dog has demodex

Many vets will give Ivermectin for that.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

3. Likes jimkellyjr liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

My Walter had demodex and we opted for the dips... we did them once a week for 6 weeks I think, and then in between we used Advantage every 2 weeks like clockwork. It worked and knock on wood he has NOT had any issues since... it is expensive, but he had several spots so we were worried that we needed to nip it in the bud pronto. We also were giving him (and I still do) a probiotic supplement and greek yogurt to help boost his immune system. Demodex is an immunity issue that can sometimes get out of hand on some dogs.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

5. Likes jimkellyjr liked this post
    Real Name
    Jim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chief
    Likes (Received)

We have tried the dips two different times. He gets much better but it always comes back. The vet keeps telling me that sometimes their immune system isn't fully developed for up to 18 months. He was a year on Memorial Day weekend. I didn't think to do things to help boost his immune system. Duh. The breeder tells me that he uses the Ivermectin , I have read about the possible dangers and I don't want to do anything to hurt him. He's just so unhappy when it flares up and I have to do something.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Jewel and Bentley wishing the best for Chief and he recovers soon and is free of that crud.

8. Likes jimkellyjr liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

I recommend tea tree oil. Often the best results is using Borax and Navratna oil. Rub it into all effected areas a couple times per day and mix borax with water into a paste and rub on the skin as a scourer each morning and rinse off. Also use as a shampoo. There's Apple cider vinegar from Braggs, Epsom salts in a bath for15 -20 mins.

10. Likes jimkellyjr, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Lord have mercy. I can't believe all these ingredients to get rid of mange. I wish there was just one thing that is safe to give to a bully (or other pet dog) to get rid of this stuff. Unbelievable!.

We hope Chief gets rid of this crap soon.

12. Likes jimkellyjr liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jimkellyjr View Post
    We have tried the dips two different times. He gets much better but it always comes back. The vet keeps telling me that sometimes their immune system isn't fully developed for up to 18 months. He was a year on Memorial Day weekend. I didn't think to do things to help boost his immune system. Duh. The breeder tells me that he uses the Ivermectin , I have read about the possible dangers and I don't want to do anything to hurt him. He's just so unhappy when it flares up and I have to do something.
    Ugh I'm so sorry... I know that some members have used Ivermectin w/great results. @2BullyMama Maybe the natural route is the way to go, but I would definitely work on boosting his immune system.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

14. Likes helsonwheels, jimkellyjr liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

To boost the immune system -- get some probiotics -- something like this (link below) will help. Ivermectin is the best prescription to use that I am aware of.

https://www.chewy.com/dog/herbsmith-..._3gaAtLF8P8HAQ
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

16. Likes helsonwheels, jimkellyjr liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rjisaterp View Post
    Lord have mercy. I can't believe all these ingredients to get rid of mange. I wish there was just one thing that is safe to give to a bully (or other pet dog) to get rid of this stuff. Unbelievable!.

We hope Chief gets rid of this crap soon.
    Even humans can get that

Country
    Cape Cod MA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    harley and caesar
    Likes (Received)

My rescue dog Mojo came to us with demodex....also allergies, overweight, etc. We brought him to a dermatologist who actually recommended putting him on Bravecto which is a chewable tablet that dogs take every 3 months for ticks and fleas. My other 2 bullies were already on it. She said that although Bravecto wasn't designed with the intention of treating demodex recent studies have shown that it does. The studies only came out about a year ago and she had only treated about a dozen dogs with it so far but all were successful! I was skeptical but of the 3 choices she offered to treat the demodex I opted to go with the Bravecto. She said it usually takes 4 - 6 months to be clear of mites and you need to have 2 clean skin scrapings a month apart to be considered clear of mites. After only 3 months on Bravecto he was clear of mites! We brought him in monthly after starting him on it and each of the 3 months the skin scrapings showed fewer and fewer mites until there were none. We now have his allergies under control and he also takes Fortiflora a probiotic powder in his food and the mites haven't returned...it's been 8 months. The Bravecto is $55 for his weight and lasts for 3 months...and you don't have to purchase any other flea/tic med because it treats that as well.

19. Likes 2BullyMama, 1Chumly, jimkellyjr liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

@jacquik Thank you for that information-it is very interesting! I am going to ask my vet if he has heard that..Happy that your dog is doing well,too!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads