My dog has demodex

jimkellyjr

Jul 26, 2016
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chief
Has anyone dealt with demodex. We have been dealing with it for months on and off. The only time my dog isn't irritated by it is when he goes to the vet for a dip once a week. At $40 a dip, additional charge when he needs to see the vet, its expensive. I have been told to try Ivomectin. Anyone have any other solutions or have you tried Ivomectin for demodex?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Many vets will give Ivermectin for that.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My Walter had demodex and we opted for the dips... we did them once a week for 6 weeks I think, and then in between we used Advantage every 2 weeks like clockwork. It worked and knock on wood he has NOT had any issues since... it is expensive, but he had several spots so we were worried that we needed to nip it in the bud pronto. We also were giving him (and I still do) a probiotic supplement and greek yogurt to help boost his immune system. Demodex is an immunity issue that can sometimes get out of hand on some dogs.

OP
J

jimkellyjr

Jul 26, 2016
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chief
We have tried the dips two different times. He gets much better but it always comes back. The vet keeps telling me that sometimes their immune system isn't fully developed for up to 18 months. He was a year on Memorial Day weekend. I didn't think to do things to help boost his immune system. Duh. The breeder tells me that he uses the Ivermectin , I have read about the possible dangers and I don't want to do anything to hurt him. He's just so unhappy when it flares up and I have to do something.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I recommend tea tree oil. Often the best results is using Borax and Navratna oil. Rub it into all effected areas a couple times per day and mix borax with water into a paste and rub on the skin as a scourer each morning and rinse off. Also use as a shampoo. There's Apple cider vinegar from Braggs, Epsom salts in a bath for15 -20 mins.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Lord have mercy. I can't believe all these ingredients to get rid of mange. I wish there was just one thing that is safe to give to a bully (or other pet dog) to get rid of this stuff. Unbelievable!.

We hope Chief gets rid of this crap soon.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We have tried the dips two different times. He gets much better but it always comes back. The vet keeps telling me that sometimes their immune system isn't fully developed for up to 18 months. He was a year on Memorial Day weekend. I didn't think to do things to help boost his immune system. Duh. The breeder tells me that he uses the Ivermectin , I have read about the possible dangers and I don't want to do anything to hurt him. He's just so unhappy when it flares up and I have to do something.

Ugh I'm so sorry... I know that some members have used Ivermectin w/great results. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] Maybe the natural route is the way to go, but I would definitely work on boosting his immune system.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Lord have mercy. I can't believe all these ingredients to get rid of mange. I wish there was just one thing that is safe to give to a bully (or other pet dog) to get rid of this stuff. Unbelievable!.

We hope Chief gets rid of this crap soon.

Even humans can get that

jacquik

Feb 1, 2013
Country
Cape Cod MA
Bulldog(s) Names
harley and caesar
My rescue dog Mojo came to us with demodex....also allergies, overweight, etc. We brought him to a dermatologist who actually recommended putting him on Bravecto which is a chewable tablet that dogs take every 3 months for ticks and fleas. My other 2 bullies were already on it. She said that although Bravecto wasn't designed with the intention of treating demodex recent studies have shown that it does. The studies only came out about a year ago and she had only treated about a dozen dogs with it so far but all were successful! I was skeptical but of the 3 choices she offered to treat the demodex I opted to go with the Bravecto. She said it usually takes 4 - 6 months to be clear of mites and you need to have 2 clean skin scrapings a month apart to be considered clear of mites. After only 3 months on Bravecto he was clear of mites! We brought him in monthly after starting him on it and each of the 3 months the skin scrapings showed fewer and fewer mites until there were none. We now have his allergies under control and he also takes Fortiflora a probiotic powder in his food and the mites haven't returned...it's been 8 months. The Bravecto is $55 for his weight and lasts for 3 months...and you don't have to purchase any other flea/tic med because it treats that as well.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=8018]jacquik[/MENTION] Thank you for that information-it is very interesting! I am going to ask my vet if he has heard that..Happy that your dog is doing well,too!

OP
J

jimkellyjr

Jul 26, 2016
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chief
My rescue dog Mojo came to us with demodex....also allergies, overweight, etc. We brought him to a dermatologist who actually recommended putting him on Bravecto which is a chewable tablet that dogs take every 3 months for ticks and fleas. My other 2 bullies were already on it. She said that although Bravecto wasn't designed with the intention of treating demodex recent studies have shown that it does. The studies only came out about a year ago and she had only treated about a dozen dogs with it so far but all were successful! I was skeptical but of the 3 choices she offered to treat the demodex I opted to go with the Bravecto. She said it usually takes 4 - 6 months to be clear of mites and you need to have 2 clean skin scrapings a month apart to be considered clear of mites. After only 3 months on Bravecto he was clear of mites! We brought him in monthly after starting him on it and each of the 3 months the skin scrapings showed fewer and fewer mites until there were none. We now have his allergies under control and he also takes Fortiflora a probiotic powder in his food and the mites haven't returned...it's been 8 months. The Bravecto is $55 for his weight and lasts for 3 months...and you don't have to purchase any other flea/tic med because it treats that as well.

Chief is on Bravecto as well. The vet put him on it because he lost a spot of hair due to a flea bite. I guess he is allergic to fleas as well. It isn't quite time for another dose but I can't tell if it helped with his demodex because he was getting the series of dips at the same time that we gave him the first chewable. We'll beat these things one way or another.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Wheezie had it when she was younger but no active mites.They told us Advantage would work but we never had to use it.Her's eventually went away..

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

jfulen

Dec 19, 2015
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly "Harley" Quinn Mayhem
We are treating Harley for demodex with Bravecto, too. We are also bathing her 2x's week with PhytoVet CK Shampoo. She is doing great! Bravecto only cost $67 for the single dose at the vet's office.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online