Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My dog has demodex

Real Name
    Jim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chief
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My dog has demodex

Quote Originally Posted by jacquik View Post
    My rescue dog Mojo came to us with demodex....also allergies, overweight, etc. We brought him to a dermatologist who actually recommended putting him on Bravecto which is a chewable tablet that dogs take every 3 months for ticks and fleas. My other 2 bullies were already on it. She said that although Bravecto wasn't designed with the intention of treating demodex recent studies have shown that it does. The studies only came out about a year ago and she had only treated about a dozen dogs with it so far but all were successful! I was skeptical but of the 3 choices she offered to treat the demodex I opted to go with the Bravecto. She said it usually takes 4 - 6 months to be clear of mites and you need to have 2 clean skin scrapings a month apart to be considered clear of mites. After only 3 months on Bravecto he was clear of mites! We brought him in monthly after starting him on it and each of the 3 months the skin scrapings showed fewer and fewer mites until there were none. We now have his allergies under control and he also takes Fortiflora a probiotic powder in his food and the mites haven't returned...it's been 8 months. The Bravecto is $55 for his weight and lasts for 3 months...and you don't have to purchase any other flea/tic med because it treats that as well.
    Chief is on Bravecto as well. The vet put him on it because he lost a spot of hair due to a flea bite. I guess he is allergic to fleas as well. It isn't quite time for another dose but I can't tell if it helped with his demodex because he was getting the series of dips at the same time that we gave him the first chewable. We'll beat these things one way or another.

Bulldog Vet in Training Christie H's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
    Likes (Received)

Wheezie had it when she was younger but no active mites.They told us Advantage would work but we never had to use it.Her's eventually went away..

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Molly "Harley" Quinn Mayhem
    Likes (Received)

We are treating Harley for demodex with Bravecto, too. We are also bathing her 2x's week with PhytoVet CK Shampoo. She is doing great! Bravecto only cost $67 for the single dose at the vet's office.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Molly "Harley" Quinn Mayhem
    Likes (Received)

I wanted to post a quick follow-up. Harley had her four week follow-up. There is no sign of Demodex on my bully-girl!!! I am firm believer in Bravecto.

5. Likes 2BullyMama, jimkellyjr liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jfulen View Post
    I wanted to post a quick follow-up. Harley had her four week follow-up. There is no sign of Demodex on my bully-girl!!! I am firm believer in Bravecto.
    Awesome news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Jim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chief
    Likes (Received)

Poor Chief is still fighting it. I have been giving him the ivermectin and it clears him up, but it keeps coming back. I'm just hoping his immune system will eventually be strong enough to fight it off.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Olaf
    Likes (Received)

Our Olaf was diagnosed with demodex and the vet wanted to dip him and give him pills. We decided to get a second opinion with a dermatologist and she said no to the dips because he wasn't infested with them. She said dips are only for dogs who are infested. She gave him Bravecto and an antibiotic and he was cleared from it. You should definitely ask your vet about Bravecto if you already haven't. Hope this helps!

9. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Jim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chief
    Likes (Received)

Chief is currently on Bravecto for flea control. He had the dips. I started using the ivermec as a last resort. It seems to work for him but I don't want to have to continue it for the long term.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads