Elise Brown

Jul 21, 2014
Maryland
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
After just leaving the vet yesterday with an ear infection I would like the avoid going twice in a week but our Lucy seems to be developing redness in one of her eyes (the same side as her ear infection). It looks slightly like pictures of cherry eye but is on the outer lower corner. There is also more discharge than usual. Has anyone had a similar problem? Since it doesn't present like a scratch/lesion on her eye (which she's had in the past) I was hoping to find a home solution to try first if possible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
image.jpegimage.jpeg This is the inflamed one
image.jpegThis is her normal eye

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Hi:) I don't really have any advice:eek:... in my experience eye infections show more on the surface of the eye, but I guess it has to start somewhere:unsure: I got an ointment from our vet that I use when my dogs have eye issues. It's called chloramex, it's mainly for bacterial infections.

I'm in South Africa, the resources where we live is a bit limited and we're far from bulldog vets so we have to improvise sometimes talking to the vet over the phone. I'm sure someone in the US will have better advice:)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
After just leaving the vet yesterday with an ear infection I would like the avoid going twice in a week but our Lucy seems to be developing redness in one of her eyes (the same side as her ear infection). It looks slightly like pictures of cherry eye but is on the outer lower corner. There is also more discharge than usual. Has anyone had a similar problem? Since it doesn't present like a scratch/lesion on her eye (which she's had in the past) I was hoping to find a home solution to try first if possible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
View attachment 100111View attachment 100112 This is the inflamed one
View attachment 100113This is her normal eye

Hi Elise, what color is the discharge? This will normally indicate infection or not. It could be simple allergies as well. Is she squinting or having a hard time keeping the eye open? For now, I would just keep them clean, use just a simple saline for the eyes and cotton ball. See if you notice improvement.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree -- it looks like it is inflamed from the ear infection --- as Jessica suggested use some simple saline to try and lessen the inflammation

OP
Elise Brown

Elise Brown

Jul 21, 2014
Maryland
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I think the discharge is clear, maybe with a tiny bit of yellow but not like her normal eye goop. I will do that with the saline. Thank you so much for your advice!

OP
Elise Brown

Elise Brown

Jul 21, 2014
Maryland
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I had no idea her ear could affect that, but it definitely makes sense! Thank you!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I think the discharge is clear, maybe with a tiny bit of yellow but not like her normal eye goop. I will do that with the saline. Thank you so much for your advice!

Try that for a few days, if you don't notice any improvement or you start to see a more greenish/yellowish discharge, then she needs to go in bc its probably infected ;)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online