What is this red/brown stuff??

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
Bella's face has been getting so much better since we switched to Fromm :up:. The redness is going away, the constant wet tears and scabs from scratching are all gone, but she still has this brown stuff. Is it yeast? It doesn't smell bad...just maybe a tiny bit doggish, but not foul at all. I clean her wrinkles daily and make sure to dry them. I've also been rubbing coconut oil on her forehead, chin, and wrinkles to soothe her skin and fur and help protect from moisture. But when I wipe her face, you can see brownish reddish "dirt" that comes off onto the cloth. It used to be alot but now it is only a little. She even has little brown stains on her chin :confused:, and I feel like her tear stains are still sooooo bad(but not irritated and very dry). Could she just still be detoxing from her old food? These are 3 pics I posted in an earlier post that shows them well..
075-1.jpg

074.jpg

073-1.jpg

OP
Bella Cows Mama

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
I forgot to mention that she even get's this red/brown stuff under her tail :confused:. It doesn't seem to ever get raw, smelly or bother her though. But it's def. the same stuff as her face.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It is bacteria, yeast or another fungus. It is something. How long have you been on the Fromm? It will take a while to lose the old stained hair and regrow new.

You can use the constarch/peroxide paste to help bleach that out, and it is safe/ingestable, but I would recommend panalog ointment from your vet to actually rid the bacteria/yeast. ESPECIALLY if she also has it under her tail and nose rope. Yeast is itchy!!!

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
I just switched Molly to Fromm, about two weeks ago. Her tear stains now look like Bella's, but are much better than they were before we started Fromm. She does not have the stains anywhere else though.

OP
Bella Cows Mama

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] Thanks, I was wondering if it might be yeast but was under the assumption that it smelled sour, and she does not. The brown stuff reminds me almost of flea poo or ear mites the way you can see it flecked on the skin. It's hard to explain. It's def. not flea poo though!! She also has some hair loss in those areas. She is a lil itchy on her face but I figured that was just left over from her food allergy, and she never acts like her bum itches till I give her a good bum stratching and she chews the air :lol:. I was hoping it was just from her old food and would go away but it seems I should be contacting the vet. She has been on Fromm for approx. 3 weeks. Also, I give her plain yogurt as a snack every now and again, but was wondering if I was to feed it to her on a daily basis to help fight off yeast, how much should I give her? Are there any other natural home remedies for yeast or is it a def. I need the vet cream?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
You CAN rid the stains yourself without the panalog, but I do think perhaps you can call your vet and ask for a script for it, my vet gives it to me as I run out anytime I need it because of the bulldog tends to need it here and there.

Which forumla of Fromm did you go with? Do you notice now that there is less tearing and draining from her eyes? Her eyes should look much brighter. What you have is an existing issue that requires attention and to see the full benefits of the food, you must try to control and eliminate the problem source. Which you are doing by getting her on a great food. But with the existing problem, it may take more time than usual, and extra help as well. In her photos she looks like she is stained, so in time they may eventually fade. But if it is clumpy (like you said speckled) I think you still actually have an issue that some panalog would fix right up in a snap. Also, ask your vet for a bottle of ear solution- and use that to clean the areas prior to applying the panalog. Just call on the phone and ask for a script of both of those. See what they say- they may require an office visit, but they may not. If it is really bad they may want to do a course of antibiotics. And last of all no, yeast is not always smelly.

OP
Bella Cows Mama

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
@dessertskybulldogs Her tears are fine. Not runny and goupy like they used to be. By the end of the day, there is a little moisture in her tear wrinkles but not much. She is on Fromm Grain Free Surf and Turf. It really has done wonders for her. And the brown stuff isn't clumpy...it's flecked like little pieces of pepper. I already have ear solution and am gonna call my vet this morning to get the panalog cream. Thank-you so much for your help. I'm glad I asked before it got worse!

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
Hugh...is it me...or does it also go up between her eyes as well..."above her nose"? Tank had something like this years ago...when my husband took him to the beach and didn't dry him off well. And his head got to looking like that. Flaky is what made me think...hugh that's what Tank had. But I bathed him and dried him well...and it seemed to go away. But I did use some surgical soap the vet gave me once to use on hot spots...on that area. The soap is amazing! And works wonders for hot spots...though we've not dealt with any in a long time. If you rubbed it on the area...full strength...and rubbed until it was not able to be seen. The hot spot cleared up in a matter of a few days.

OP
Bella Cows Mama

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
[MENTION=1922]cadillactaste[/MENTION] yes it is up between her eyes. That is the part that I can notice the "flecks" when they appear...usually if I accidentally skin a day cleaning the wrinkles.

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
I've read on here a few times that some people have used distilled water for their dogs drinking water and that has helped with the tear stains. Don't know if it would help, but it wouldn't hurt to try .

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Silva has been on Fromm since mid December. Her coat is nice and shiny but I still have the tear stain battle and it drives me :crazy:!! Under her nose rope she has some discolouration as well, like yellow-brownish so I have been paying close attention to wash and dry everyday. She doesnt bother with her face at all and smells normal. I didnt like the paste, I found it made a mess and if I made it too thick it would get clumpy and make her fur hard and if it is too runny I was afraid she was going to get it in her eyes. I do have to say it did help alittle. Right now she has a little bump on her nose for about a week it looks like a pimple or something. I think maybe a bite or reaction to something outside. I think I am going to take her in to have it looked at and also have the vet look at her skin, fur etc. I wish there was a world without tear stains!!! ;)

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
[MENTION=1815]Bella Cows Mama[/MENTION]
[MENTION=1922]cadillactaste[/MENTION] yes it is up between her eyes. That is the part that I can notice the "flecks" when they appear...usually if I accidentally skin a day cleaning the wrinkles.

I was able to locate what I use in a Google Search. This stuff is AMAZING! If you get a hot spot coming on it clears it. By just putting some full strength on a cotton ball And rub it around until it looks rubbed in well and not as noticeable. [It's a greenish color] I've used this on Tank's head as well. But it must not get in their eyes. I found this got rid of the flaky stuff that your dog looks to have. But again...Tank would get this when his face was wet and not dried well. Like when the kids played with water guns outside...and I didn't know it and Tank drank some of their water from the guns...and his face got wet...More so than from issues with wrinkles. In my case that is...

Amazon.com: Vet Solutions Surgical Scrub & Handwash, 16oz. Refill Bottle: Everything Else

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
This is the same brand of ear cleaner that I use. I want to try this too for Molly wrinkles.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
[MENTION=1871]Miss Molly[/MENTION] Might work...I would dilute it and stick it in like a picnic bottle for ketchup so you can keep a bottle diluted mixed up. Toss it in the microwave to warm it. That's what I do with my Melesab shampoo that I still have a little of. Tank prefers his warmed before his wrinkles are cleaned.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Delilah also gets that brown stuff..in her wrinkles, under the nose rope..and recently on her belly and around her cooter. x.x I have to wipe my dog's crotch. I don't know what is that's causing the problem!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.