General Question Itchy Ears on at night

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
So for the last few weeks I've noticed Curly has been waking up at night with really itchy ears, though during the day he doesn't seem to have a problem with them. He will literally lay on his side and rub his head against is pillow and when I go up to him he is comforted when I rub behind his ears down toward where his ear drums would be...

I'm a bit OCD with making sure my dogs ears are clean because growing up I had a Dalmatian that always had ear infections. So his ears normally get a good cleaning once a month to every 6 week

Curly's ears look spotless, not red or inflamed and even when I clean with solution no debris shows on the cotton balls. His ears don't smell either. No head tilting on head shaking either.

I've been giving him allergy pills at night but the itchy ears still seem to bother him.

I plan to take him to the vet later this week to rule out a deep ear infection but given how clean his ears look and there is no smell I am not sure if that is what is going on. I'm suspecting some sort of allergy but if it is, why isn't the Zyrtec working? Mind you this itching only happens at night...

Weird right? Anyone else experience this??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I should add, no food, treat or detergent (for his bed) changes either.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lambeau does the same exact thing and I can not figure it out either --- I've been thinking the same, something going on inside the inner ear. I did switch him to Claritin hoping that would help, but it has not.

let me know what your vet says ... I'm going to also make an appointment next week for the goofball and see what our vet says

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I have an appointment tonight. I'll keep you posted!

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Maybe it's some allergen in the philly area...

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Maybe it's some allergen in the philly area...

Could be!!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Wow - doggy telepathy?! Castor lives a long way from you but he too has started scratching his ears the last few nights. His ears look ok but he is sore behind one of his ears from the scratching. And no, I don't believe in telepathy... but I do think it could be some kind of allergy! Please let us knwo what the vet said!

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Sitting at the vet now. She thinks it's allergies - nothing in the ear at all.

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Ok so the one ear was slightly red so she said that it could be from the scratching but said it's likely allergies perhaps from our air conditioning unit (during the day he is not in this specific room). We received some drops for his ears just in case the slightly red one was an infection/becoming infected
[MENTION=14810]CCandMurray[/MENTION] this is all new - started about 2 weeks ago so it's not worth getting an allergy tests done especially since we are moving cross country in 10 days/allergy tests will identify local allergens.

Our Frenchie mix had allergy test done when we lived out in LA - the decision was made because we couldn't find the source that was making him lose his fur. All the testing costs around $4K and at the end of the day we found out he was allergic to our cat. We received meds that made him sick to his stomach which we stopped giving him.

We started giving him fish oil pills plus Zyrtec and his fur started growing back. Our cat has since passed away and all of his fur has grown back.

Given our past experience/now knowing that this can be solved through an elimination process, I rather, right now, start small before making a huge cost decision.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok so the one ear was slightly red so she said that it could be from the scratching but said it's likely allergies perhaps from our air conditioning unit (during the day he is not in this specific room). We received some drops for his ears just in case the slightly red one was an infection/becoming infected
@CCandMurray this is all new - started about 2 weeks ago so it's not worth getting an allergy tests done especially since we are moving cross country in 10 days/allergy tests will identify local allergens.

Our Frenchie mix had allergy test done when we lived out in LA - the decision was made because we couldn't find the source that was making him lose his fur. All the testing costs around $4K and at the end of the day we found out he was allergic to our cat. We received meds that made him sick to his stomach which we stopped giving him.

We started giving him fish oil pills plus Zyrtec and his fur started growing back. Our cat has since passed away and all of his fur has grown back.

Given our past experience/now knowing that this can be solved through an elimination process, I rather, right now, start small before making a huge cost decision.

I did have the allergy tests done for Lambeau --- was only $200, full blood screen allergy screen... he is allergic to so much in the environment, he needs a bubble! I have him on Claritin, which seemed to help at first but now about 2 months in, I think it is not effective for him -- eyes are very runny, ears still dirty and scratching at night and chin is pink. I removed all his food allergies and he looked great till around the end of June so I may switch to Zyrtec and see if that helps him more than the Claritin. Benedryl did not do much for him either

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I'm sorry to hear Curly is under the weather with possible allergies. I hope you find and isolate the allergen so Curly can be itch free. Tell Curly Jewel and Bentley say hello.

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] for our frenchie we had both done - full blood screen and the skin screening. We were also living in LA where costs are so inflated but this dermatologist was highly recommended/Sully was miserable for quite a while.
[MENTION=11639]rjisaterp[/MENTION] thanks for the love! Curly sends his hellos.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
We are having a similar situation and we were given drops for the itching.I can't think of the name right now but they have to be refridgerated.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We are having a similar situation and we were given drops for the itching.I can't think of the name right now but they have to be refridgerated.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Tresaderm?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.