Ruptured cyst?

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
This isn't about my bulldog- But the basset hound I just rescued, Stretch, has a ruptured cyst on his back. He had been to two vets in Missouri, both of whom said to just let it heal, because he is too old to be put under. Well he has had it since July at least, which was when he was brought into rescue.

It is pretty big, and is just a big scab that sometimes bleeds if he lays on it. There is no pus or anything that I can see. It hurts him when it's touched.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I don't know don't have any experience but I would think to make sure you keep the area clean and dry and maybe apply some neosphorin on it?

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Im sorry I dont know, but maybe what Desertskybulldogs says. Maybe some antiboitic cream on it and keep it clean. I think you sould see the vet again.

OP
Miss Molly

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Yes, I am going to call my vet tomorrow and see what he thinks. Just wondering if anyone else had experienced this, seems to me like 8 months is a long time to let this heal. I feel like something needs to be done about it, it's bothering him.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
[MENTION=1871]Miss Molly[/MENTION]
Yes, I am going to call my vet tomorrow and see what he thinks. Just wondering if anyone else had experienced this, seems to me like 8 months is a long time to let this heal. I feel like something needs to be done about it, it's bothering him.

Shelly...I agree that sounds like to long to allow something to heal. I hope that your vet figures out what exactly it is and why it's taken so long to heal. Keep us informed as to what your vet says once he takes a look at it...

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
[MENTION=1871]Miss Molly[/MENTION] do you know if anyone has bothered to test it and make sure it is just a ruptured benign cyst? Our first vet thought that was what Cassie had the first time and said it should heal on it's own.. it didn't so I took her to another vet who tested it and it was a mast cell tumor. I'm sure Stretch is fine, but you need to find out if anyone has done a aspirate on it.

OP
Miss Molly

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
[MENTION=1652]Angelgirl[/MENTION] I can't tell from what vet records I have. I know on his intake vet papers it mentioned hot spots, but then separately it said wound cleaning. It's difficult to tell what all they have done, but I'm sure my vet will be able to tell, or if not, tell if it needs tested. I will bring up the mast cell tumor to him. Thanks!

I have an appointment for Friday afternoon. That is the soonest I can take him because I live 60 miles away form work, and carpool, and it's my week to drive. I have Fridays off. I'm just going to try and keep it clean til then.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.