Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Thread: ACL injury TPLO

Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Taz
    Likes (Received)

Default ACL injury TPLO

Hello everybody. I am a new member but have been following for a while through Facebook. My Bulldog Taz will be 4 next month. He limps intermittently and i have been informed that he has a torn ACL and requires TPLO surgery on his left leg and possibly his right down the track. I was hoping for some advice and possible stories from others who have experienced this type of surgery. Thank you in advance.

Once i learn how to add a photo i will!!!

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: ACL injury TPLO

I just want to say WeLcOmE I don't have any experience but I'm sure someone who does will come along soon
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

3. Likes rjisaterp liked this post
    The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Mine just had ACL surgery 3 weeks ago but we went with ECR and not TPLO. The hard part is the recovery having to keep them cooped up for the first several weeks only going out on a leash to go potty then cooped up again when you aren't doing their physical therapy. It is a long road but they feel so much better afterwards.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

5. Likes 2BullyMama, rjisaterp liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Hi Taz, Welcome to EBN. I am sorry to hear that Taz needs this surgery. Here is a link to a thread... http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...dict-tplo.html

7. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Here is another thread with more information linked. http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...s-surgery.html

9. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

to EBN ..... wishing you and Taz best of luck with the potential surgery. Please keep us posted and looking forward to pictures
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

11. Likes rjisaterp liked this post
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Taz
    Likes (Received)

Thank you all very much. Love all the photos. Beautiful dogs.

13. Likes rjisaterp, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola
    Likes (Received)

I could use some help and advice. I have a 9 year old bull dog who has arthritis and a torn ACL. As her vet says, "she has two bum knees." With 2 kids in college, surgery is not really an option, and I think the recovery could be harder on her than we want it to be. My vet suggested Rehab or laser therapy- I am researching both options regarding cost and chance for success. Would love any feedback experienced owners might have. We are worried letting her go might be the only option and that would be heartbreaking. Her normally sunny disposition has been an amazing part of our family.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lolabullie View Post
    I could use some help and advice. I have a 9 year old bull dog who has arthritis and a torn ACL. As her vet says, "she has two bum knees." With 2 kids in college, surgery is not really an option, and I think the recovery could be harder on her than we want it to be. My vet suggested Rehab or laser therapy- I am researching both options regarding cost and chance for success. Would love any feedback experienced owners might have. We are worried letting her go might be the only option and that would be heartbreaking. Her normally sunny disposition has been an amazing part of our family.
    At 9 yrs old, I would hesitate with surgery as well.... I did laser therapy for my girl on her spine and it did WONDERS for her. Her spine was full of arthritis and it really di help a lot. I bought packages for the sessions but can not remember the costs.
    are you givng her joint supplements or coconut oil? both really help with arthritis
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

I would also not opt. for surgery unless it was really bad. We have a 10 yr. old and we have him on Rimadyl, a high dose of joint supplement, turmeric and we do laser therapy on him. He has been maintaining really well. As expected, with age they will have good days and bad days. It happens. Tyson also at one point had a "partial" tear, we opted not to operate - just did meds and rest. No long walks, or play... after a few weeks, his limp disappeared.

Also look into Adequan injections. We did those for a while, but they only helped for a bit. I would definitely look into joint supplements, and start laser, also massaging the legs helps alot, gets the blood flowing, and stimulates the muscles. He loves it, and we can really see a difference! I've heard water therapy is good too! We have Tyson on Dasuquin with MSM Chewables. We choose this one because it has much higher mg than most. Feel free to ask anymore questions!

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

17. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

I third not getting the surgery due to your girl's age. Chances are, your baby has had bad knees a good long while and she is not going to fare well through a very major surgery (I've been through it with my bullies). There are PLENTY of options to keep her comfy in old age, including tramadol, Rimadyl, glucosamine and injections. I would pursue those avenues and be sure to find a vet that is supportive of your decision!

(I understand this as I had a bully who was 7 who "needed" surgery for a corneal abrasion that would not heal...not a chance I was going to lose my doggy that way! We got some great advice from an understanding vet and we used drops to keep him comfy.)

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Remove Ads