ACL injury TPLO

Tazza

Jun 21, 2016
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Taz
Hello everybody. I am a new member but have been following for a while through Facebook. My Bulldog Taz will be 4 next month. He limps intermittently and i have been informed that he has a torn ACL and requires TPLO surgery on his left leg and possibly his right down the track. I was hoping for some advice and possible stories from others who have experienced this type of surgery. Thank you in advance.

Once i learn how to add a photo i will!!!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Mine just had ACL surgery 3 weeks ago but we went with ECR and not TPLO. The hard part is the recovery having to keep them cooped up for the first several weeks only going out on a leash to go potty then cooped up again when you aren't doing their physical therapy. It is a long road but they feel so much better afterwards.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN ..... wishing you and Taz best of luck with the potential surgery. Please keep us posted and looking forward to pictures

OP
Tazza

Tazza

Jun 21, 2016
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Taz
Thank you all very much. Love all the photos. Beautiful dogs.

Lolabullie

Jul 22, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
I could use some help and advice. I have a 9 year old bull dog who has arthritis and a torn ACL. As her vet says, "she has two bum knees." With 2 kids in college, surgery is not really an option, and I think the recovery could be harder on her than we want it to be. My vet suggested Rehab or laser therapy- I am researching both options regarding cost and chance for success. Would love any feedback experienced owners might have. We are worried letting her go might be the only option and that would be heartbreaking. Her normally sunny disposition has been an amazing part of our family.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I could use some help and advice. I have a 9 year old bull dog who has arthritis and a torn ACL. As her vet says, "she has two bum knees." With 2 kids in college, surgery is not really an option, and I think the recovery could be harder on her than we want it to be. My vet suggested Rehab or laser therapy- I am researching both options regarding cost and chance for success. Would love any feedback experienced owners might have. We are worried letting her go might be the only option and that would be heartbreaking. Her normally sunny disposition has been an amazing part of our family.

At 9 yrs old, I would hesitate with surgery as well.... I did laser therapy for my girl on her spine and it did WONDERS for her. Her spine was full of arthritis and it really di help a lot. I bought packages for the sessions but can not remember the costs.
are you givng her joint supplements or coconut oil? both really help with arthritis

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

I would also not opt. for surgery unless it was really bad. We have a 10 yr. old and we have him on Rimadyl, a high dose of joint supplement, turmeric and we do laser therapy on him. He has been maintaining really well. As expected, with age they will have good days and bad days. It happens. Tyson also at one point had a "partial" tear, we opted not to operate - just did meds and rest. No long walks, or play... after a few weeks, his limp disappeared.

Also look into Adequan injections. We did those for a while, but they only helped for a bit. I would definitely look into joint supplements, and start laser, also massaging the legs helps alot, gets the blood flowing, and stimulates the muscles. He loves it, and we can really see a difference! I've heard water therapy is good too! We have Tyson on Dasuquin with MSM Chewables. We choose this one because it has much higher mg than most. Feel free to ask anymore questions!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman

I third not getting the surgery due to your girl's age. Chances are, your baby has had bad knees a good long while and she is not going to fare well through a very major surgery (I've been through it with my bullies). There are PLENTY of options to keep her comfy in old age, including tramadol, Rimadyl, glucosamine and injections. I would pursue those avenues and be sure to find a vet that is supportive of your decision!

(I understand this as I had a bully who was 7 who "needed" surgery for a corneal abrasion that would not heal...not a chance I was going to lose my doggy that way! We got some great advice from an understanding vet and we used drops to keep him comfy.)

RubyRae24

Oct 26, 2017
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Has Taz had his surgery yet?? How did it go?? My bully's first surgery is on 11/8 and I'm freaking out!!

stacey333

Aug 10, 2015
florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
tripper and bailey
Hello, I just brought my girl who is about 4 1/2 to her vet thinking aww she pulled something when my male was messing with her but found out she most likely tore her acl..i have to take her to a surgeon for a consult in two weeks. I feel so bad and worried about her getting surgery again . She had to have surgery on her eyelid not long after we got her..she did well but that alone was a pretty penny I dont even want to think of the cost of surgery. For now we plan on helping her loose weight which is hard now... no walks... and keep her in our room where it is carpeted and she cant slip and away from our male so he wont rough house with her. She is on a anti inflammatory from her vet...any advise on surgery or making her more comfortable or how it worked out with people who got the surgery....thanks for any thoughts
(I want to just sit on the floor with her and a container of Ben and Jerry for me and a doggie cup for her but she is on a diet:p)

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Hello, I just brought my girl who is about 4 1/2 to her vet thinking aww she pulled something when my male was messing with her but found out she most likely tore her acl..i have to take her to a surgeon for a consult in two weeks. I feel so bad and worried about her getting surgery again . She had to have surgery on her eyelid not long after we got her..she did well but that alone was a pretty penny I dont even want to think of the cost of surgery. For now we plan on helping her loose weight which is hard now... no walks... and keep her in our room where it is carpeted and she cant slip and away from our male so he wont rough house with her. She is on a anti inflammatory from her vet...any advise on surgery or making her more comfortable or how it worked out with people who got the surgery....thanks for any thoughts
(I want to just sit on the floor with her and a container of Ben and Jerry for me and a doggie cup for her but she is on a diet:p)

I dont have any experience with this but hopefully with rest she will heal and it wont involve surgery. These guys can be so rough and tumble in yet susceptible to these things all the same. Hope its something simple .. You may start a separate post if you dont get what ya need in this one :)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

We actually did turn a bedroom into a huge doggie bed and one of us slept with our boy each night. We placed a Baby gate at the door and he did everything in that room but potty.. we carried him in/out. keeping them calm is the hardest thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.