Thread: Pet Insurance

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruneaux
    Likes (Received)

Default Pet Insurance

Does anyone carry insurance on your fur baby? If so which company and what are the pros and cons?

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Pet Insurance

We do. It is hit or miss and if you don't get it right when you get your puppy then don't bother as everything in their records will be considered pre-existing. Same holds true if you rescue. So far for us it has been wonderful as mine just had ACL surgery 2 weeks ago and Trupanion has already reimbursed us our 90% of the bill back.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

3. Likes TyTysmom, Izzy's Mom, MacAttack liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

We carry VPI through Nationwide. Trupanion is another popular one. For us, its paid out way more than the premium I've paid. One thing to remember is they carry restrictions for anything that is pre-existing. So its best to try and get it while they are young, and have no medical history. The other thing too - is that pet insurance isnt like human insurance where you pay a copay and they bill the carrier. You will still pay up front for all services, then will have to send in receipts with claim form to be reimbursed. So we have a credit card specifically for Tyson that we use, once we get the reimbursement, I pay off the card. You can choose the level of coverages, and deductibles that you want. We choose a major medical plan, for emergencies and big things. For his routine vaccines & such I just pay that out of pocket.

So far we've been through enlarged prostate, obstructions, arthritis, 2 surgeries, they have paid out nearly 100% minus our deductible.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

5. Likes CCandMurray, MacAttack liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

Same as @TyTysmom VPI through Nationwide. I read a ton of posts here when Joey was little so that's who I went with. Actually have not had to use it.....yet....hopefully NEVER
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

7. Likes TyTysmom, CCandMurray, MacAttack liked this post
    Bulldog Walker Become a 4 Paw Member asherose's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ashley
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sargeant & Dutchie the Boston Terrier
    Likes (Received)

We have it with Trupanion. We only adopted Sgt. a few months ago and luckily we've never used it. I don't have insurance on my Boston Terrier and last year when he needed surgery it ended up costing us over $2,500. Sgt's previous owners got him insurance when he was a puppy so we were very lucky we were able to transfer the policy into our names. We discussed cancelling the policy when we first got him, but knowing what I know now about his breed I'm really glad we decided to keep it. He's only used his insurance once for a surgery (with previous owners when he was about 1) and I hope he never has to use it again...but I do find some comfort knowing we have it if need be.

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

The company we chose for Castor paid for the major part of his soft palate / nares surgery; for us this was pure luck as we had no idea that policies differed between different companies when we chose insurance. I've heard since that not all companies here cover for that surgery for EBs. I'm in Sweden, and our experience is perhaps not applicable the where you are, but still I suggest you contact different companies and ask for their policy regarding the major risks for EBs, such as soft palate reduction, eye surgery and...perhaps something else?

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

10. Likes MacAttack liked this post
    Real Name
    Angie
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hank
    Likes (Received)

We have both our pups on Nationwide Whole Pet with Wellness plans. They cover 90% of almost everything after a $250 deductible per year per pet. So far so good. W haven't needed it for anything major but it has helped with routine stuff. We got the policy before we ever took Hank to the vet after we got him and about two months into our ownership of Daisy. Daisy had vaginitis and a head trauma injury before insurance and now both are on the pre existing list for her but everything else in her lifetime should be covered.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

12. Likes MacAttack liked this post
    Dog Park Attendant
    Real Name
    Madie (Maydee)
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

I have coverage with healthy paws, and have been more than happy with the coverage. Last year they paid out over $3000 back to me. Every single claim I submitted, I got money back.

The app is SO easy to use, literally all you do to file a claim is take a picture of your itemized receipt from you vet appointment.

I sound like a shill for healthy paws but i swear I'm not lol.

But echoing what others have said, pet health insurance is truly only worth it if you get it right when you get your pup, and he/she has no 'pre-existing conditions'.

I also think the peace of mind the insurance provides is worth the 38/month I spend. several months ago frank was hospitalized for over 3 days and racked up a $2000 bill. healthy paws
    paid out almost $1900 of that bill. That incident alone was enough to make me a lifetime customer of healthy paws or at least a lifer on pet insurance.

I do get a cheaper policy than a purebred EB would have though, as frank is a mixed breed.

14. Likes Jellyfish, MacAttack, cefe13 liked this post
    Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

Trupanion here... submitted 4 claims on ACL surgeries for Izzy. They paid us back fast (90%) - my premium is a little high now about $63 per month with a low deductible.

My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

16. Likes MacAttack liked this post
    Real Name
    Shannon
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Juno, Lola (2012 - 2016)
    Likes (Received)

I had Trupanion with Lola. I love them. They were quick and friendly. I am going to sign Juno up with them soon.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Remove Ads