Pet Insurance

Thirdbully

Jul 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruneaux
Does anyone carry insurance on your fur baby? If so which company and what are the pros and cons?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We do. It is hit or miss and if you don't get it right when you get your puppy then don't bother as everything in their records will be considered pre-existing. Same holds true if you rescue. So far for us it has been wonderful as mine just had ACL surgery 2 weeks ago and Trupanion has already reimbursed us our 90% of the bill back.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
We carry VPI through Nationwide. Trupanion is another popular one. For us, its paid out way more than the premium I've paid. One thing to remember is they carry restrictions for anything that is pre-existing. So its best to try and get it while they are young, and have no medical history. The other thing too - is that pet insurance isnt like human insurance where you pay a copay and they bill the carrier. You will still pay up front for all services, then will have to send in receipts with claim form to be reimbursed. So we have a credit card specifically for Tyson that we use, once we get the reimbursement, I pay off the card. You can choose the level of coverages, and deductibles that you want. We choose a major medical plan, for emergencies and big things. For his routine vaccines & such I just pay that out of pocket.

So far we've been through enlarged prostate, obstructions, arthritis, 2 surgeries, they have paid out nearly 100% minus our deductible.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Same as [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] VPI through Nationwide. I read a ton of posts here when Joey was little so that's who I went with. Actually have not had to use it.....yet....hopefully NEVER :)

asherose

May 17, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sargeant & Dutchie the Boston Terrier
We have it with Trupanion. We only adopted Sgt. a few months ago and luckily we've never used it. I don't have insurance on my Boston Terrier and last year when he needed surgery it ended up costing us over $2,500. Sgt's previous owners got him insurance when he was a puppy so we were very lucky we were able to transfer the policy into our names. We discussed cancelling the policy when we first got him, but knowing what I know now about his breed I'm really glad we decided to keep it. He's only used his insurance once for a surgery (with previous owners when he was about 1) and I hope he never has to use it again...but I do find some comfort knowing we have it if need be.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
The company we chose for Castor paid for the major part of his soft palate / nares surgery; for us this was pure luck as we had no idea that policies differed between different companies when we chose insurance. I've heard since that not all companies here cover for that surgery for EBs. I'm in Sweden, and our experience is perhaps not applicable the where you are, but still I suggest you contact different companies and ask for their policy regarding the major risks for EBs, such as soft palate reduction, eye surgery and...perhaps something else?

Jellyfish

Mar 24, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
We have both our pups on Nationwide Whole Pet with Wellness plans. They cover 90% of almost everything after a $250 deductible per year per pet. So far so good. W haven't needed it for anything major but it has helped with routine stuff. We got the policy before we ever took Hank to the vet after we got him and about two months into our ownership of Daisy. Daisy had vaginitis and a head trauma injury before insurance and now both are on the pre existing list for her but everything else in her lifetime should be covered.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I have coverage with healthy paws, and have been more than happy with the coverage. Last year they paid out over $3000 back to me. Every single claim I submitted, I got money back.

The app is SO easy to use, literally all you do to file a claim is take a picture of your itemized receipt from you vet appointment.

I sound like a shill for healthy paws but i swear I'm not lol.

But echoing what others have said, pet health insurance is truly only worth it if you get it right when you get your pup, and he/she has no 'pre-existing conditions'.

I also think the peace of mind the insurance provides is worth the 38/month I spend. several months ago frank was hospitalized for over 3 days and racked up a $2000 bill. healthy paws
paid out almost $1900 of that bill. That incident alone was enough to make me a lifetime customer of healthy paws or at least a lifer on pet insurance.

I do get a cheaper policy than a purebred EB would have though, as frank is a mixed breed.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Trupanion here... submitted 4 claims on ACL surgeries for Izzy. They paid us back fast (90%) - my premium is a little high now about $63 per month with a low deductible.

sdefilippo

Jul 4, 2016
Upstate, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Juno, Lola (2012 - 2016)
I had Trupanion with Lola. I love them. They were quick and friendly. I am going to sign Juno up with them soon.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.