Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My bully is not eating or drinking and keeps vomiting white foam and phlegm

Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Default My bully is not eating or drinking and keeps vomiting white foam and phlegm

Hi,

I'm very concerned about my bully. He is less than 2 years old. 2 weeks ago he had vaccines for influenza and his Da2LPP booster plus a trip to the groomer. Within 3 days we noticed he had a bad cold, blowing snot out of his nose and really runny goopy eyes. I took him back to vet asked if it could be vaccine or something he picked up at groomer. She listened to lungs and said he was fine. Probably just bad allergies. I've been giving him Claritin. He has been very lethargic, which I told vet, but she said to cut back on Claritin. Today we woke up to him vomitting white phlegm and foam. He ate a little bit of canned dog food but that's it. He just lays there. Taking him back to same vet tomorrow, but I don't have confidence in her at the moment. Wondering what this could be?

Thanks

My name is Jersey! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Susan
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jersey
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My bully is not eating or drinking and keeps vomiting white foam and phlegm

Is Bentley coughing? The symptoms sound like kennel cough and the exposure to other dogs at the groomer with symptoms beginning 3 days later is worrisome. It is possible to acquire kennel cough even if the he's been vaccinated for it. I would make sure the vet does blood, urine and fecal testing. A chest xray might help as well. I'm not a vet and certainly there are many reasons a dog may vomit white foam, but if it's been 2 weeks and he's lethargic he needs a sound diagnosis and treatment. If you don't get that at your vet tomorrow, I would take him to another vet. You might want to have another one who can see him tomorrow ready as a back up. I'm so sorry you're having all this trouble, but don't accept "It's just allergies". Please keep us updated on what happens tomorrow. Praying for Bentley's recovery. Blessings, Susan

Quote Originally Posted by Kkelly927 View Post
    Hi,

I'm very concerned about my bully. He is less than 2 years old. 2 weeks ago he had vaccines for influenza and his Da2LPP booster plus a trip to the groomer. Within 3 days we noticed he had a bad cold, blowing snot out of his nose and really runny goopy eyes. I took him back to vet asked if it could be vaccine or something he picked up at groomer. She listened to lungs and said he was fine. Probably just bad allergies. I've been giving him Claritin. He has been very lethargic, which I told vet, but she said to cut back on Claritin. Today we woke up to him vomitting white phlegm and foam. He ate a little bit of canned dog food but that's it. He just lays there. Taking him back to same vet tomorrow, but I don't have confidence in her at the moment. Wondering what this could be?

Thanks

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My bully is not eating or drinking and keeps vomiting white foam and phlegm

Hi,

Thanks

Definitely back to the vet , but is there another one you can go to for a second opinion?

Here is our member recommended list.... maybe one is near you

English Bulldog News Forums - English Bulldog News Recommended English Bulldog Veterinarians
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

4. Likes Jersey, MFrey2012, CCandMurray, rjisaterp liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training MFrey2012's Avatar
    Real Name
    Melissa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ellie
    Likes (Received)

Sue wonderful advice - That was exactly what I was thinking!!

Thanks and much Love,

Melissa - Ellie's Mom

6. Likes Jersey, Texas Carol, rjisaterp liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola & Foxie
    Likes (Received)

aside from the cough and cold symptoms, just to get something into his belly I would suggest the bland diet - cooked white rice and boiled ground beef or chicken. The white/yellow bile will come when my bullies tummies are empty (they eat raw food which digests quicker than kibble). White rice also holds alot of water, so will help hydrate. By all means, make it mushy with additional chicken stock (no salt added) or water. Provided your bully has no chicken allergies. sorry to hear about the troubles.....get some food and liquids into him and I hope he feels better (in addition to the vet visits as others suggested.....respiration is no joke with these guys). keep us posted?

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Definitely feed bland diet & definitely a 2nd opinion by a bully experienced Vet.

This Vet isn't taking his symptoms seriously enough & think her dx of allergies
    is wrong. Unless he's coughing too, not sure this is kennel cough, sounds like
    reaction to vaccine to me & could easily aspirate or go into pneumonia. Also,
    his immune system could be weak & vaccine over loaded it.

You mentioned canned food, what are you feeding? If it's Iam's, I'd change to
    a better grade food AFTER feeding bland diet until this is treated & he's well.
    You can start researching foods in our Forum articles and/or asking members
    once Bentley's recovered.

Welcome to EBN, there's a ton of knowledge & experience here

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

9. Likes 2BullyMama, Jersey, rjisaterp liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Is there any possibility that he could of eaten somethinh poisonous? And I agree that a different vet could be a good idea.

11. Likes rjisaterp, Jersey liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Hi,

Thanks
    Jewel and our Bentley say that we hope your Bentley gets well real soon. We are sending prayers and positive vibes.

13. Likes Jersey liked this post
    Real Name
    Susan
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jersey
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I definitely agree! A reaction to the vaccines is more likely than kennel cough without the cough. I completely overlooked that one. I do hope the little guy gets the treatment he needs and has a speedy recovery! Hopefully the vet will put as much thought and care into Bentley's case as the folks here at EBN! Praying for Bentley and Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post
    Definitely feed bland diet & definitely a 2nd opinion by a bully experienced Vet.

This Vet isn't taking his symptoms seriously enough & think her dx of allergies
    is wrong. Unless he's coughing too, not sure this is kennel cough, sounds like
    reaction to vaccine to me & could easily aspirate or go into pneumonia. Also,
    his immune system could be weak & vaccine over loaded it.

You mentioned canned food, what are you feeding? If it's Iam's, I'd change to
    a better grade food AFTER feeding bland diet until this is treated & he's well.
    You can start researching foods in our Forum articles and/or asking members
    once Bentley's recovered.

Welcome to EBN, there's a ton of knowledge & experience here

15. Likes MFrey2012, rjisaterp liked this post
    Real Name
    Susan
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jersey
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Excellent point!

Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    Is there any possibility that he could of eaten somethinh poisonous? And I agree that a different vet could be a good idea.

17. Likes rjisaterp liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training MFrey2012's Avatar
    Real Name
    Melissa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ellie
    Likes (Received)

Ms Ellie and I sending healing thoughts your way!!

Good Luck today, and keep us posted!!

Thanks and much Love,

Melissa - Ellie's Mom

19. Likes Jersey, rjisaterp liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

@Kkelly927 I am hoping by now that you have been to the vet, and gotten some answers. Many vets seem to just brush things off too easily-especially if they are not Bullie-wise. I would suggest finding another vet. If you can not, you must learn to ask more questions and insist on a more through exam. Did you/she take his temp.? I had an Arabian mare for 34 years. I learned that she was allergic to the flu-which was included in most equine shots. She had a severe reaction to the flu shot. It sounds like your Bentley could have the flu. I hope you find the answer, and a better veterinarian,who is more concerned.Please let us know how Bentley is!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads