My bully is not eating or drinking and keeps vomiting white foam and phlegm

Kkelly927

Jul 4, 2016
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Hi,

I'm very concerned about my bully. He is less than 2 years old. 2 weeks ago he had vaccines for influenza and his Da2LPP booster plus a trip to the groomer. Within 3 days we noticed he had a bad cold, blowing snot out of his nose and really runny goopy eyes. I took him back to vet asked if it could be vaccine or something he picked up at groomer. She listened to lungs and said he was fine. Probably just bad allergies. I've been giving him Claritin. He has been very lethargic, which I told vet, but she said to cut back on Claritin. Today we woke up to him vomitting white phlegm and foam. He ate a little bit of canned dog food but that's it. He just lays there. Taking him back to same vet tomorrow, but I don't have confidence in her at the moment. Wondering what this could be?

Thanks

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Is Bentley coughing? The symptoms sound like kennel cough and the exposure to other dogs at the groomer with symptoms beginning 3 days later is worrisome. It is possible to acquire kennel cough even if the he's been vaccinated for it. I would make sure the vet does blood, urine and fecal testing. A chest xray might help as well. I'm not a vet and certainly there are many reasons a dog may vomit white foam, but if it's been 2 weeks and he's lethargic he needs a sound diagnosis and treatment. If you don't get that at your vet tomorrow, I would take him to another vet. You might want to have another one who can see him tomorrow ready as a back up. I'm so sorry you're having all this trouble, but don't accept "It's just allergies". Please keep us updated on what happens tomorrow. Praying for Bentley's recovery. Blessings, Susan

Hi,

I'm very concerned about my bully. He is less than 2 years old. 2 weeks ago he had vaccines for influenza and his Da2LPP booster plus a trip to the groomer. Within 3 days we noticed he had a bad cold, blowing snot out of his nose and really runny goopy eyes. I took him back to vet asked if it could be vaccine or something he picked up at groomer. She listened to lungs and said he was fine. Probably just bad allergies. I've been giving him Claritin. He has been very lethargic, which I told vet, but she said to cut back on Claritin. Today we woke up to him vomitting white phlegm and foam. He ate a little bit of canned dog food but that's it. He just lays there. Taking him back to same vet tomorrow, but I don't have confidence in her at the moment. Wondering what this could be?

Thanks

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi,

Thanks

Definitely back to the vet , but is there another one you can go to for a second opinion?

Here is our member recommended list.... maybe one is near you

English Bulldog News Forums - English Bulldog News Recommended English Bulldog Veterinarians

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
aside from the cough and cold symptoms, just to get something into his belly I would suggest the bland diet - cooked white rice and boiled ground beef or chicken. The white/yellow bile will come when my bullies tummies are empty (they eat raw food which digests quicker than kibble). White rice also holds alot of water, so will help hydrate. By all means, make it mushy with additional chicken stock (no salt added) or water. Provided your bully has no chicken allergies. sorry to hear about the troubles.....get some food and liquids into him and I hope he feels better (in addition to the vet visits as others suggested.....respiration is no joke with these guys). keep us posted?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Definitely feed bland diet & definitely a 2nd opinion by a bully experienced Vet.

This Vet isn't taking his symptoms seriously enough & think her dx of allergies
is wrong. Unless he's coughing too, not sure this is kennel cough, sounds like
reaction to vaccine to me & could easily aspirate or go into pneumonia. Also,
his immune system could be weak & vaccine over loaded it.

You mentioned canned food, what are you feeding? If it's Iam's, I'd change to
a better grade food AFTER feeding bland diet until this is treated & he's well.
You can start researching foods in our Forum articles and/or asking members
once Bentley's recovered.

Welcome to EBN, there's a ton of knowledge & experience here :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Is there any possibility that he could of eaten somethinh poisonous? And I agree that a different vet could be a good idea.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hi,

Thanks

Jewel and our Bentley say that we hope your Bentley gets well real soon. We are sending prayers and positive vibes.

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
I definitely agree! A reaction to the vaccines is more likely than kennel cough without the cough. I completely overlooked that one. I do hope the little guy gets the treatment he needs and has a speedy recovery! Hopefully the vet will put as much thought and care into Bentley's case as the folks here at EBN! Praying for Bentley and Mom!

Definitely feed bland diet & definitely a 2nd opinion by a bully experienced Vet.

This Vet isn't taking his symptoms seriously enough & think her dx of allergies
is wrong. Unless he's coughing too, not sure this is kennel cough, sounds like
reaction to vaccine to me & could easily aspirate or go into pneumonia. Also,
his immune system could be weak & vaccine over loaded it.

You mentioned canned food, what are you feeding? If it's Iam's, I'd change to
a better grade food AFTER feeding bland diet until this is treated & he's well.
You can start researching foods in our Forum articles and/or asking members
once Bentley's recovered.

Welcome to EBN, there's a ton of knowledge & experience here :)

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Ms Ellie and I sending healing thoughts your way!!:pray:

Good Luck today, and keep us posted!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=16076]Kkelly927[/MENTION] I am hoping by now that you have been to the vet, and gotten some answers. Many vets seem to just brush things off too easily-especially if they are not Bullie-wise. I would suggest finding another vet. If you can not, you must learn to ask more questions and insist on a more through exam. Did you/she take his temp.? I had an Arabian mare for 34 years. I learned that she was allergic to the flu-which was included in most equine shots. She had a severe reaction to the flu shot. It sounds like your Bentley could have the flu. I hope you find the answer, and a better veterinarian,who is more concerned.Please let us know how Bentley is!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=16076]Kkelly927[/MENTION] I am hoping by now that you have been to the vet, and gotten some answers. Many vets seem to just brush things off too easily-especially if they are not Bullie-wise. I would suggest finding another vet. If you can not, you must learn to ask more questions and insist on a more through exam. Did you/she take his temp.? I had an Arabian mare for 34 years. I learned that she was allergic to the flu-which was included in most equine shots. She had a severe reaction to the flu shot. It sounds like your Bentley could have the flu. I hope you find the answer, and a better veterinarian,who is more concerned.Please let us know how Bentley is!

Yes, Lynn...thinking the same thing too and know from experience that most Vets will not admit
to correlations from vaccines to bad reactions & illness resulting from shots, not sure WHY? If a
cause can't be identified, they are healthy before vaccine then sick right after...DUH.

I was always sick when dx'ed as Type II Diabetes when put on oral meds, severe reactions to some
just sick feeling on most. Asked WHY a million times & asked if I could be allergic to something in
those meds, just treated as a nut! Endured this almost 3 years, none really helped lower blood sugars,
in bed, not able to work & gained from 130 lbs to 180 ibs while eating clean diet. Finally, I just went off
them, regained health pretty quickly & went back to work, an active job. Began researching and found
those orals have a Sulfa base (most of them) and I'm deadly allergic (which was known to Dr's) but
guess they DIDN'T know this fact nor cared to find out as I had asked, specifically, if Sulfa was in them.
I was POISONED for 3 years & none of them put my symptoms together & dx'ed allergic reactions. Only
alive by God's protection & grace.

Can y'all tell, I'm STILL furious?!! Not to mention...their dx was wrong, I didn't have Type II (had no
markers of it...young, fit, active) but had Autoimmune Diabetes (Type III) & rare. Moreover...oral meds
ARE NOT recommended for T-3, ever...GRRRRR... One of the Dr's was an Endocrinologist...

You must ask questions & not believe they know everything or even care about you or your pets, sad truth.

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Absolutely! It's so hard to find a "Bully Vet" much less one that is willing to admit that the dog may have had a reaction to the vaccines. We need to learn that's it's ok to say "I don't agree with your diagnosis" and insist on further tests. Hopefully the vet took his temp... bottom line... she needs to find a competent Bully Vet!

!
@Kkelly927 I am hoping by now that you have been to the vet, and gotten some answers. Many vets seem to just brush things off too easily-especially if they are not Bullie-wise. I would suggest finding another vet. If you can not, you must learn to ask more questions and insist on a more through exam. Did you/she take his temp.? I had an Arabian mare for 34 years. I learned that she was allergic to the flu-which was included in most equine shots. She had a severe reaction to the flu shot. It sounds like your Bentley could have the flu. I hope you find the answer, and a better veterinarian,who is more concerned.Please let us know how Bentley is!

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Excellent points. Physicians or veterinarians; they're human and mistakes will be made. We get that. That said, being willing to admit error and pursue another avenue of treatment should be routine. We should not have to beg and plead and doctor shop to get the care that is necessary. (The following is a side rant, I apologize in advance) I've been in the medical field for 35 years and have seen daily exactly what Carol described. People being patronized or worse, being written off as "nuts" or "non-compliant" because the prescribed treatment was ineffective. Many people who can't or won't stand up to doctors and say "I'm doing what you prescribed and it's not working". Our dogs can't do that. It's up to us to insist/fight for them. Exactly as a parent would for a child. Carol is a fighter, she was not willing to accept her misdiagnosis and thank God got the diagnosis and treatment she needed. Most people don't. Many die in silence and pain from illnesses that are readily cured or treatable. The take home message is... Open your mouth, go to another doctor, be your own advocate. It might save your life or the life of your pet.

Yes, Lynn...thinking the same thing too and know from experience that most Vets will not admit
to correlations from vaccines to bad reactions & illness resulting from shots, not sure WHY? If a
cause can't be identified, they are healthy before vaccine then sick right after...DUH.

I was always sick when dx'ed as Type II Diabetes when put on oral meds, severe reactions to some
just sick feeling on most. Asked WHY a million times & asked if I could be allergic to something in
those meds, just treated as a nut! Endured this almost 3 years, none really helped lower blood sugars,
in bed, not able to work & gained from 130 lbs to 180 ibs while eating clean diet. Finally, I just went off
them, regained health pretty quickly & went back to work, an active job. Began researching and found
those orals have a Sulfa base (most of them) and I'm deadly allergic (which was known to Dr's) but
guess they DIDN'T know this fact nor cared to find out as I had asked, specifically, if Sulfa was in them.
I was POISONED for 3 years & none of them put my symptoms together & dx'ed allergic reactions. Only
alive by God's protection & grace.

Can y'all tell, I'm STILL furious?!! Not to mention...their dx was wrong, I didn't have Type II (had no
markers of it...young, fit, active) but had Autoimmune Diabetes (Type III) & rare. Moreover...oral meds
ARE NOT recommended for T-3, ever...GRRRRR... One of the Dr's was an Endocrinologist...

You must ask questions & not believe they know everything or even care about you or your pets, sad truth.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.