Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My bully is not eating or drinking and keeps vomiting white foam and phlegm

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My bully is not eating or drinking and keeps vomiting white foam and phlegm

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    @Kkelly927 I am hoping by now that you have been to the vet, and gotten some answers. Many vets seem to just brush things off too easily-especially if they are not Bullie-wise. I would suggest finding another vet. If you can not, you must learn to ask more questions and insist on a more through exam. Did you/she take his temp.? I had an Arabian mare for 34 years. I learned that she was allergic to the flu-which was included in most equine shots. She had a severe reaction to the flu shot. It sounds like your Bentley could have the flu. I hope you find the answer, and a better veterinarian,who is more concerned.Please let us know how Bentley is!
    Yes, Lynn...thinking the same thing too and know from experience that most Vets will not admit
    to correlations from vaccines to bad reactions & illness resulting from shots, not sure WHY? If a
    cause can't be identified, they are healthy before vaccine then sick right after...DUH.

I was always sick when dx'ed as Type II Diabetes when put on oral meds, severe reactions to some
    just sick feeling on most. Asked WHY a million times & asked if I could be allergic to something in
    those meds, just treated as a nut! Endured this almost 3 years, none really helped lower blood sugars,
    in bed, not able to work & gained from 130 lbs to 180 ibs while eating clean diet. Finally, I just went off
    them, regained health pretty quickly & went back to work, an active job. Began researching and found
    those orals have a Sulfa base (most of them) and I'm deadly allergic (which was known to Dr's) but
    guess they DIDN'T know this fact nor cared to find out as I had asked, specifically, if Sulfa was in them.
    I was POISONED for 3 years & none of them put my symptoms together & dx'ed allergic reactions. Only
    alive by God's protection & grace.

Can y'all tell, I'm STILL furious?!! Not to mention...their dx was wrong, I didn't have Type II (had no
    markers of it...young, fit, active) but had Autoimmune Diabetes (Type III) & rare. Moreover...oral meds
    ARE NOT recommended for T-3, ever...GRRRRR... One of the Dr's was an Endocrinologist...

You must ask questions & not believe they know everything or even care about you or your pets, sad truth.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

My name is Jersey! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Susan
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jersey
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My bully is not eating or drinking and keeps vomiting white foam and phlegm

Absolutely! It's so hard to find a "Bully Vet" much less one that is willing to admit that the dog may have had a reaction to the vaccines. We need to learn that's it's ok to say "I don't agree with your diagnosis" and insist on further tests. Hopefully the vet took his temp... bottom line... she needs to find a competent Bully Vet!

!
    Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    @Kkelly927 I am hoping by now that you have been to the vet, and gotten some answers. Many vets seem to just brush things off too easily-especially if they are not Bullie-wise. I would suggest finding another vet. If you can not, you must learn to ask more questions and insist on a more through exam. Did you/she take his temp.? I had an Arabian mare for 34 years. I learned that she was allergic to the flu-which was included in most equine shots. She had a severe reaction to the flu shot. It sounds like your Bentley could have the flu. I hope you find the answer, and a better veterinarian,who is more concerned.Please let us know how Bentley is!

3. Likes Manydogs, Texas Carol, MacAttack liked this post
    My name is Jersey! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Susan
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jersey
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Excellent points. Physicians or veterinarians; they're human and mistakes will be made. We get that. That said, being willing to admit error and pursue another avenue of treatment should be routine. We should not have to beg and plead and doctor shop to get the care that is necessary. (The following is a side rant, I apologize in advance) I've been in the medical field for 35 years and have seen daily exactly what Carol described. People being patronized or worse, being written off as "nuts" or "non-compliant" because the prescribed treatment was ineffective. Many people who can't or won't stand up to doctors and say "I'm doing what you prescribed and it's not working". Our dogs can't do that. It's up to us to insist/fight for them. Exactly as a parent would for a child. Carol is a fighter, she was not willing to accept her misdiagnosis and thank God got the diagnosis and treatment she needed. Most people don't. Many die in silence and pain from illnesses that are readily cured or treatable. The take home message is... Open your mouth, go to another doctor, be your own advocate. It might save your life or the life of your pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post
    Yes, Lynn...thinking the same thing too and know from experience that most Vets will not admit
    to correlations from vaccines to bad reactions & illness resulting from shots, not sure WHY? If a
    cause can't be identified, they are healthy before vaccine then sick right after...DUH.

I was always sick when dx'ed as Type II Diabetes when put on oral meds, severe reactions to some
    just sick feeling on most. Asked WHY a million times & asked if I could be allergic to something in
    those meds, just treated as a nut! Endured this almost 3 years, none really helped lower blood sugars,
    in bed, not able to work & gained from 130 lbs to 180 ibs while eating clean diet. Finally, I just went off
    them, regained health pretty quickly & went back to work, an active job. Began researching and found
    those orals have a Sulfa base (most of them) and I'm deadly allergic (which was known to Dr's) but
    guess they DIDN'T know this fact nor cared to find out as I had asked, specifically, if Sulfa was in them.
    I was POISONED for 3 years & none of them put my symptoms together & dx'ed allergic reactions. Only
    alive by God's protection & grace.

Can y'all tell, I'm STILL furious?!! Not to mention...their dx was wrong, I didn't have Type II (had no
    markers of it...young, fit, active) but had Autoimmune Diabetes (Type III) & rare. Moreover...oral meds
    ARE NOT recommended for T-3, ever...GRRRRR... One of the Dr's was an Endocrinologist...

You must ask questions & not believe they know everything or even care about you or your pets, sad truth.

5. Likes Texas Carol, 2BullyMama, MacAttack, ddnene liked this post
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey View Post
    Excellent points. Physicians or veterinarians; they're human and mistakes will be made. We get that. That said, being willing to admit error and pursue another avenue of treatment should be routine. We should not have to beg and plead and doctor shop to get the care that is necessary. (The following is a side rant, I apologize in advance) I've been in the medical field for 35 years and have seen daily exactly what Carol described. People being patronized or worse, being written off as "nuts" or "non-compliant" because the prescribed treatment was ineffective. Many people who can't or won't stand up to doctors and say "I'm doing what you prescribed and it's not working". Our dogs can't do that. It's up to us to insist/fight for them. Exactly as a parent would for a child. Carol is a fighter, she was not willing to accept her misdiagnosis and thank God got the diagnosis and treatment she needed. Most people don't. Many die in silence and pain from illnesses that are readily cured or treatable. The take home message is... Open your mouth, go to another doctor, be your own advocate. It might save your life or the life of your pet.

Thank you, Susan.

It took almost 3 years to go thru all the many orals and/or combinations of them.
    They would want me on each one a minimum of 6 mo's before trying a different
    one. The fact that NONE of them worked to bring my BS down should have clued
    them something was very wrong. I had never really been sick prior to this or under
    any Dr's care so trusted they knew what they were doing...I was wrong.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

7. Likes Jersey liked this post
    Real Name
    Teresa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bear, Mac (2/12 - 5/16) & Louis (french)
    Likes (Received)

Anxious to hear how things are going now with Bentley...
    The fact that he is not eating and is lethargic is concerning.

9. Likes Texas Carol, Jersey, 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads