Help Needed! Red Scab on Neck from Flea Meds causing Pyoderma also?

Tanklin

Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin
My Franklin was diagnosed with Puppy Pyoderma on June 20th, prescribed antibiotic and shampoo. I was questioning giving him his needed dose of flea meds today, when I checked the area and realized he has a pretty big scab right where we apply the meds! I'm wondering if this is what caused the Pyoderma! The flea medicine is Pet Armor, i thoight that was a good brand! His hair has been thinning and flaking and pimples, that's we initially took him to the vet. Anyone with any experiance on this? Input is appreciated! 20160702_171746.jpg

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm sorry I don't have any experience with that brand of flea medication, but it sounds like it could be a reaction to the medication. We use Revolution for Flea, tick, heart worm and mange prevention, with no reactions. I hope it clears up and he feels better soon. You can try giving him a Benedryl, and applying some polysporin or a cortisone cream on the scab, or maybe Coconut Oil will help.

OP
T

Tanklin

Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin
I started him on the coconut oil regimen about a week ago, going to keep it going daily, I also rubbed some on the scab when I found it. Thank You!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It could be caused by it ... Does he have any others?

My first bulldog did get flaky skin when we put on the flea/tick meds, but not any sores or scabs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

Tanklin

Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin
It could be caused by it ... Does he have any others?

My first bulldog did get flaky skin when we put on the flea/tick meds, but not any sores or scabs

Nope, that's the only scab that I see, I checked all over his body after I found it. Does anyone use the pill form of flea meds? I'm looking into Nexgard, going to see what the vet says but I hear from a frI end EB owner they may cause more harm than good.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
There are a lot of flea meds that will effect bullies like that, and even worse. I would try a natural flea preventative and see if that works better. Plus if you give him Sentinal for heart worms, that works for fleas too. It doesn't kill the flea, but makes them sterile.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Nope, that's the only scab that I see, I checked all over his body after I found it. Does anyone use the pill form of flea meds? I'm looking into Nexgard, going to see what the vet says but I hear from a frI end EB owner they may cause more harm than good.

I use Sentinel for heartworm/fleas.... If ticks aren't a concern... Look into Sentinel. We have a lit if ticks in the area so we use Vectra 3D topical

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online