Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Thread: Bruce is getting scabs on his back!

Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruce
    Likes (Received)

Default Bruce is getting scabs on his back!

Hello everyone!
    We moved from NH to VA and about two weeks after arriving we started to notice scabs on Bruce's back. He is playing like normal, has a good appetite and is drinking. He doesn't seem to be scratching any more than normal and doesn't even seem to mind the few times that I have picked on of the scabs off (I didn't know what it was). When the scabs are removed a patch of hair comes off with it so we don't remove them anymore. He's eating TOTW Salmon which he has been eating since birth. If you have any more questions let me know.

Any help would be appreciated,
    Jim

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bruce is getting scabs on his back!

If the scab comes off with fur snd no blood... It is most likely a staph infection--- weaken immune system, he will need antibiotics and underlying cause is most likely an allergy... Might be environmental

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

3. Likes cefe13, Manydogs liked this post
    Pet Sitter
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    If the scab comes off with fur snd no blood... It is most likely a staph infection--- weaken immune system, he will need antibiotics and underlying cause is most likely an allergy... Might be environmental

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @brucebruce

Yes, this!
    Please get to the vet.
    Bathing with a good shampoo will help too. I keep recommending Dermabens to people as it gets in the hair shaft and clears the follicle of all the gunk. (it contains benzoyl peroxide)
    There may be different plants/trees/grass in VA he is allergic to than in NH.

5. Likes 2BullyMama, cefe13, Manydogs liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Molly "Harley" Quinn Mayhem
    Likes (Received)

You might try PhytoVet CK Shampoo. We are treating a case of Demodectic mange. One wash is already doing wonders for Harley and her skin issues. We wash her twice a week with it. However, I still urge you to see the vet. If there is an underlying infection (which happens quite frequently with bullies) the vet will need to give you the right antibiotics in addition to any shampoos. The move may have stressed him a little causing his immune system to weaken.

Good luck

7. Likes Manydogs, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

On and off, Castor has something like that on the top of his head - looks like his fur is a bit moth-eaten. He's been diagnosed earlier with staph infection but the vet advised against antibiotics. He recommended we use a chlorhexidine shampoo instead. W

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

Pet Sitter
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jfulen View Post
    You might try PhytoVet CK Shampoo. We are treating a case of Demodectic mange. One wash is already doing wonders for Harley and her skin issues. We wash her twice a week with it. However, I still urge you to see the vet. If there is an underlying infection (which happens quite frequently with bullies) the vet will need to give you the right antibiotics in addition to any shampoos. The move may have stressed him a little causing his immune system to weaken.

Good luck
    This one sounds great too! I may even try a bottle. One of the few I haven't tried!

10. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Pet Sitter
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cefe13 View Post
    On and off, Castor has something like that on the top of his head - looks like his fur is a bit moth-eaten. He's been diagnosed earlier with staph infection but the vet advised against antibiotics. He recommended we use a chlorhexidine shampoo instead. W
    Baths with good shampoo really do help! Our bully is just sensitive to chlorhexidine products but they are supposed to be excellent!

(I have tried Pyoben, Trizclor, Malasab, Zymoxx, and others from Virbac, but Dermabenss by Dechra has helped us most.)

12. Likes cefe13, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Potty Trainer
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    KINGSTON
    Likes (Received)

@brucebruce My pup had this and it was indeed a staph infection. He was given an anti-biotic, which he is currently on. I also rub coconut oil on him daily, concentrating more on the patches. It hasn't spread, since he's been on the anti-biotics. Hope this help.

14. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post

Remove Ads