Help Needed! Bruce is getting scabs on his back!

Vabulldog

Nov 11, 2015
Richmond, Va.
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Hello everyone!
We moved from NH to VA and about two weeks after arriving we started to notice scabs on Bruce's back. He is playing like normal, has a good appetite and is drinking. He doesn't seem to be scratching any more than normal and doesn't even seem to mind the few times that I have picked on of the scabs off (I didn't know what it was). When the scabs are removed a patch of hair comes off with it so we don't remove them anymore. He's eating TOTW Salmon which he has been eating since birth. If you have any more questions let me know.

Any help would be appreciated,
Jim

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If the scab comes off with fur snd no blood... It is most likely a staph infection--- weaken immune system, he will need antibiotics and underlying cause is most likely an allergy... Might be environmental

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
If the scab comes off with fur snd no blood... It is most likely a staph infection--- weaken immune system, he will need antibiotics and underlying cause is most likely an allergy... Might be environmental

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@brucebruce

Yes, this!
Please get to the vet.
Bathing with a good shampoo will help too. I keep recommending Dermabens to people as it gets in the hair shaft and clears the follicle of all the gunk. (it contains benzoyl peroxide)
There may be different plants/trees/grass in VA he is allergic to than in NH. :(

jfulen

Dec 19, 2015
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly "Harley" Quinn Mayhem
You might try PhytoVet CK Shampoo. We are treating a case of Demodectic mange. One wash is already doing wonders for Harley and her skin issues. We wash her twice a week with it. However, I still urge you to see the vet. If there is an underlying infection (which happens quite frequently with bullies) the vet will need to give you the right antibiotics in addition to any shampoos. The move may have stressed him a little causing his immune system to weaken.

Good luck :)

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
On and off, Castor has something like that on the top of his head - looks like his fur is a bit moth-eaten. He's been diagnosed earlier with staph infection but the vet advised against antibiotics. He recommended we use a chlorhexidine shampoo instead. W

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You might try PhytoVet CK Shampoo. We are treating a case of Demodectic mange. One wash is already doing wonders for Harley and her skin issues. We wash her twice a week with it. However, I still urge you to see the vet. If there is an underlying infection (which happens quite frequently with bullies) the vet will need to give you the right antibiotics in addition to any shampoos. The move may have stressed him a little causing his immune system to weaken.

Good luck :)
This one sounds great too! I may even try a bottle. :) One of the few I haven't tried!

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
On and off, Castor has something like that on the top of his head - looks like his fur is a bit moth-eaten. He's been diagnosed earlier with staph infection but the vet advised against antibiotics. He recommended we use a chlorhexidine shampoo instead. W
Baths with good shampoo really do help! Our bully is just sensitive to chlorhexidine products :( but they are supposed to be excellent!

(I have tried Pyoben, Trizclor, Malasab, Zymoxx, and others from Virbac, but Dermabenss by Dechra has helped us most.)

chitownbully

Nov 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
KINGSTON / PRINCE
[MENTION=15054]brucebruce[/MENTION] My pup had this and it was indeed a staph infection. He was given an anti-biotic, which he is currently on. I also rub coconut oil on him daily, concentrating more on the patches. It hasn't spread, since he's been on the anti-biotics. Hope this help.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online