Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Tick Question/Advice

  1. #1
    Pooper scooper AWD GS's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mike
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    35
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Stella
    Likes (Received)
    23

    Default Tick Question/Advice

    So to get to the short of the story, found a tick on Stella Tuesday night on the back of her neck and removed the tick using tweezers (full body came out, nothing left behind). Not sure how long the tick was on there for but if I had to guess I would say 36 hours max. Fast forward to yesterday, she didnt really seem herself with sleeping and being lazy all morning (unlike her in the morning) so on the way home from work I stopped and got her K9 Advantix II to help take care of any future tick issues and applied it to her around 5:30pm. Went out to dinner and returned home around 9pm and again she just didnt seem herself. So I took her to bed with me and usually if shes not comfortable in a spot she'll get up and find her own spot on the bed and go to sleep. I noticed she wasnt moving too much so I rolled her over to me and put her against my chest and she just laid there. I could hear her breathing was a little short and rapid and I also noticed she was shaking (similar to if your cold and get the chills). After about 30 mins of just monitoring her it didnt seem to pass so I took her to a 24 hour vet just to get her looked at. Explained everything to the vet and when she came back in she mentioned that she does have a slight fever and that she believes it was an allergic reaction to the Advantix II (allergic to the Permethrin in the Advantix) which when she mentioned that started to make sense because the breathing and shaking never was present before the Advantix. She said it could be Lymes from the tick however it takes time to develop and that it could show up as a negative result because it might be too early. She gave her some meds and we took her home around 1:30am and she slept through the night with some muscle relaxers. This morning gave her another muscle relaxer and tried to feed her however she wouldnt touch the food which is very unusually for her. I'm going to wait it out till a little later tonight to see if she starts to at least eat a little however do you think this should be something to be concerned about and require another immediate vet visit? I havent dealt with ticks before so i'm fairly new to this. Do any other owners have bullies that may be allergic to permethrin or heard of bullies being allergic to that? Any input would be greatly appreciate from both myself and Stella.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Bulldog Walker Frith's Avatar
    Real Name
    Anna
    Country
    USA
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    291
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frith
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    354

    Default Re: Tick Question/Advice

    Did they draw blood and test for other diseases? The initial symptoms sound like Anaplasmosis.
    Tick diseases and symptoms
    Fritthy

  3. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  4. #3
    Pooper scooper AWD GS's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mike
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    35
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Stella
    Likes (Received)
    23

    Default Re: Tick Question/Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Frith View Post
    Did they draw blood and test for other diseases? The initial symptoms sound like Anaplasmosis.
    Tick diseases and symptoms
    thank you for the link and information! they did not draw any blood; the vet seemed pretty positive that the permethrin was the cause of the issue. My gf did text me around lunch time to let me know that Stella did eat however she had to bring her bowl of food over to her but she did eat. Hoping this may just be the reaction/fever still. If shes not eating again tonight or tomorrow morning I think another visit to the vet may be in order

  5. #4
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    12,735
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    5596

    Default Re: Tick Question/Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Frith View Post
    Did they draw blood and test for other diseases? The initial symptoms sound like Anaplasmosis.
    Tick diseases and symptoms
    I agree about the blood test... since her symptoms started before you applied the Advantix II I would think it was more related to the tick bite. I will tag some members to see if anyone has dealt w/tick issues before...

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

  6. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  7. #5
    Pooper scooper AWD GS's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mike
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    35
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Stella
    Likes (Received)
    23

    Default Re: Tick Question/Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    I agree about the blood test... since her symptoms started before you applied the Advantix II I would think it was more related to the tick bite. I will tag some members to see if anyone has dealt w/tick issues before...
    well the breathing and shaking issues didnt start till after i used the Advantix and see was eating all day yesterday. The only odd thing that could be attributed to a symptom prior to the use of Advantix is her just resting and relaxing which I could see from being sick although i'm not vet so I very well could be wrong too. Yes if you know any members that may be able to help, feel free to tag them.

  8. Likes ddnene liked this post
  9. #6
    Pet Sitter
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    334
    Bulldog(s) Names
    waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
    Likes (Received)
    45

    Default Re: Tick Question/Advice

    Could the meds be affecting her appetite? Does she seem any better now?

  10. #7
    Pooper scooper AWD GS's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mike
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    35
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Stella
    Likes (Received)
    23

    Default Re: Tick Question/Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by bulliemommi View Post
    Could the meds be affecting her appetite? Does she seem any better now?
    she does seem a bit better now. shes walking around and walks over to her bowl to eat. noticed last night when she was laying on the couch, her breathing is still a little quick but not as bad or as loud as a few days ago and shes not shaking as much.

  11. #8
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    12,735
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    5596

    Default Re: Tick Question/Advice

    I have noticed my dogs appetites seem off this summer, especially on really hot days...

    How is she feeling this morning?

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

  12. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  13. #9
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,196
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11538

    Default Re: Tick Question/Advice

    How old is Stella? How is she doing today?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  14. #10
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bullmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    25,362
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2312
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Tick Question/Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by AWD GS View Post
    So to get to the short of the story, found a tick on Stella Tuesday night on the back of her neck and removed the tick using tweezers (full body came out, nothing left behind). Not sure how long the tick was on there for but if I had to guess I would say 36 hours max. Fast forward to yesterday, she didnt really seem herself with sleeping and being lazy all morning (unlike her in the morning) so on the way home from work I stopped and got her K9 Advantix II to help take care of any future tick issues and applied it to her around 5:30pm. Went out to dinner and returned home around 9pm and again she just didnt seem herself. So I took her to bed with me and usually if shes not comfortable in a spot she'll get up and find her own spot on the bed and go to sleep. I noticed she wasnt moving too much so I rolled her over to me and put her against my chest and she just laid there. I could hear her breathing was a little short and rapid and I also noticed she was shaking (similar to if your cold and get the chills). After about 30 mins of just monitoring her it didnt seem to pass so I took her to a 24 hour vet just to get her looked at. Explained everything to the vet and when she came back in she mentioned that she does have a slight fever and that she believes it was an allergic reaction to the Advantix II (allergic to the Permethrin in the Advantix) which when she mentioned that started to make sense because the breathing and shaking never was present before the Advantix. She said it could be Lymes from the tick however it takes time to develop and that it could show up as a negative result because it might be too early. She gave her some meds and we took her home around 1:30am and she slept through the night with some muscle relaxers. This morning gave her another muscle relaxer and tried to feed her however she wouldnt touch the food which is very unusually for her. I'm going to wait it out till a little later tonight to see if she starts to at least eat a little however do you think this should be something to be concerned about and require another immediate vet visit? I havent dealt with ticks before so i'm fairly new to this. Do any other owners have bullies that may be allergic to permethrin or heard of bullies being allergic to that? Any input would be greatly appreciate from both myself and Stella.

    Thanks!
    Fever signifies and infection.... What did they prescribe for her? I agree, sounds like she's ill from the tick bite.....

    An allergic reaction to the Advantix I think would present more like vomiting, diarrhea, rash, bumps, sores..... chills and not eating is a sure sign of infection. Want to be sure they gave you antibiotics.

    Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

  15. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  16. #11
    Pooper scooper AWD GS's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mike
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    35
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Stella
    Likes (Received)
    23

    Default Re: Tick Question/Advice

    thanks for the reply everyone. I took Stella back to the vet Saturday morning since she was still shaking and didnt seem right. The vet that looked at her this time did a more through check of her and said it appears she hurt her back hence the shaking. Said it could have been from getting on and off the couch or going up and down the steps. Not sure how much of that is true since this is the first time this has ever been brought up but there is a first for everything. They gave her some more pain meds and an anti inflammatory which seem to help. Shes not shaking or anything anymore and seems to be back to her old self. I had blood work done to be sure what could have caused this and I should have the results back today. With the chain of events that took place in the few days (from the tick, to the breathing to the advantix) it could of been a number of things but thankfully she is doing much better after she started to take the anti inflammatory meds.

  17. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •