AWD GS

Apr 29, 2015
Philly
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
So to get to the short of the story, found a tick on Stella Tuesday night on the back of her neck and removed the tick using tweezers (full body came out, nothing left behind). Not sure how long the tick was on there for but if I had to guess I would say 36 hours max. Fast forward to yesterday, she didnt really seem herself with sleeping and being lazy all morning (unlike her in the morning) so on the way home from work I stopped and got her K9 Advantix II to help take care of any future tick issues and applied it to her around 5:30pm. Went out to dinner and returned home around 9pm and again she just didnt seem herself. So I took her to bed with me and usually if shes not comfortable in a spot she'll get up and find her own spot on the bed and go to sleep. I noticed she wasnt moving too much so I rolled her over to me and put her against my chest and she just laid there. I could hear her breathing was a little short and rapid and I also noticed she was shaking (similar to if your cold and get the chills). After about 30 mins of just monitoring her it didnt seem to pass so I took her to a 24 hour vet just to get her looked at. Explained everything to the vet and when she came back in she mentioned that she does have a slight fever and that she believes it was an allergic reaction to the Advantix II (allergic to the Permethrin in the Advantix) which when she mentioned that started to make sense because the breathing and shaking never was present before the Advantix. She said it could be Lymes from the tick however it takes time to develop and that it could show up as a negative result because it might be too early. She gave her some meds and we took her home around 1:30am and she slept through the night with some muscle relaxers. This morning gave her another muscle relaxer and tried to feed her however she wouldnt touch the food which is very unusually for her. I'm going to wait it out till a little later tonight to see if she starts to at least eat a little however do you think this should be something to be concerned about and require another immediate vet visit? I havent dealt with ticks before so i'm fairly new to this. Do any other owners have bullies that may be allergic to permethrin or heard of bullies being allergic to that? Any input would be greatly appreciate from both myself and Stella.

Thanks!

OP
AWD GS

AWD GS

Apr 29, 2015
Philly
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Did they draw blood and test for other diseases? The initial symptoms sound like Anaplasmosis.
Tick diseases and symptoms

thank you for the link and information! they did not draw any blood; the vet seemed pretty positive that the permethrin was the cause of the issue. My gf did text me around lunch time to let me know that Stella did eat however she had to bring her bowl of food over to her but she did eat. Hoping this may just be the reaction/fever still. If shes not eating again tonight or tomorrow morning I think another visit to the vet may be in order

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Did they draw blood and test for other diseases? The initial symptoms sound like Anaplasmosis.
Tick diseases and symptoms

:goodpost: I agree about the blood test... since her symptoms started before you applied the Advantix II I would think it was more related to the tick bite. I will tag some members to see if anyone has dealt w/tick issues before...

OP
AWD GS

AWD GS

Apr 29, 2015
Philly
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
:goodpost: I agree about the blood test... since her symptoms started before you applied the Advantix II I would think it was more related to the tick bite. I will tag some members to see if anyone has dealt w/tick issues before...

well the breathing and shaking issues didnt start till after i used the Advantix and see was eating all day yesterday. The only odd thing that could be attributed to a symptom prior to the use of Advantix is her just resting and relaxing which I could see from being sick although i'm not vet so I very well could be wrong too. Yes if you know any members that may be able to help, feel free to tag them.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
Could the meds be affecting her appetite? Does she seem any better now?

OP
AWD GS

AWD GS

Apr 29, 2015
Philly
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Could the meds be affecting her appetite? Does she seem any better now?

she does seem a bit better now. shes walking around and walks over to her bowl to eat. noticed last night when she was laying on the couch, her breathing is still a little quick but not as bad or as loud as a few days ago and shes not shaking as much.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have noticed my dogs appetites seem off this summer, especially on really hot days...

How is she feeling this morning?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How old is Stella? How is she doing today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So to get to the short of the story, found a tick on Stella Tuesday night on the back of her neck and removed the tick using tweezers (full body came out, nothing left behind). Not sure how long the tick was on there for but if I had to guess I would say 36 hours max. Fast forward to yesterday, she didnt really seem herself with sleeping and being lazy all morning (unlike her in the morning) so on the way home from work I stopped and got her K9 Advantix II to help take care of any future tick issues and applied it to her around 5:30pm. Went out to dinner and returned home around 9pm and again she just didnt seem herself. So I took her to bed with me and usually if shes not comfortable in a spot she'll get up and find her own spot on the bed and go to sleep. I noticed she wasnt moving too much so I rolled her over to me and put her against my chest and she just laid there. I could hear her breathing was a little short and rapid and I also noticed she was shaking (similar to if your cold and get the chills). After about 30 mins of just monitoring her it didnt seem to pass so I took her to a 24 hour vet just to get her looked at. Explained everything to the vet and when she came back in she mentioned that she does have a slight fever and that she believes it was an allergic reaction to the Advantix II (allergic to the Permethrin in the Advantix) which when she mentioned that started to make sense because the breathing and shaking never was present before the Advantix. She said it could be Lymes from the tick however it takes time to develop and that it could show up as a negative result because it might be too early. She gave her some meds and we took her home around 1:30am and she slept through the night with some muscle relaxers. This morning gave her another muscle relaxer and tried to feed her however she wouldnt touch the food which is very unusually for her. I'm going to wait it out till a little later tonight to see if she starts to at least eat a little however do you think this should be something to be concerned about and require another immediate vet visit? I havent dealt with ticks before so i'm fairly new to this. Do any other owners have bullies that may be allergic to permethrin or heard of bullies being allergic to that? Any input would be greatly appreciate from both myself and Stella.

Thanks!

Fever signifies and infection.... What did they prescribe for her? I agree, sounds like she's ill from the tick bite.....

An allergic reaction to the Advantix I think would present more like vomiting, diarrhea, rash, bumps, sores..... chills and not eating is a sure sign of infection. Want to be sure they gave you antibiotics.

OP
AWD GS

AWD GS

Apr 29, 2015
Philly
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
thanks for the reply everyone. I took Stella back to the vet Saturday morning since she was still shaking and didnt seem right. The vet that looked at her this time did a more through check of her and said it appears she hurt her back hence the shaking. Said it could have been from getting on and off the couch or going up and down the steps. Not sure how much of that is true since this is the first time this has ever been brought up but there is a first for everything. They gave her some more pain meds and an anti inflammatory which seem to help. Shes not shaking or anything anymore and seems to be back to her old self. I had blood work done to be sure what could have caused this and I should have the results back today. With the chain of events that took place in the few days (from the tick, to the breathing to the advantix) it could of been a number of things but thankfully she is doing much better after she started to take the anti inflammatory meds.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.