Christie

Jun 29, 2016
Louisiana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dixie
I have an English Bulldog, Dixie, who is 4 years old. I have had her since she was 12 weeks old. Over the past two weeks, Dixie has developed very irritated skin. She has had a hot spot or two in the past, but this is most of her body. She has rubbed a raw spot about 5"x5" on her lower back, there are several raw spots on her shoulders, and her belly is so red! :( I've taken her to the vet and was given topical steroids and antibiotics, but she has had both of these treatments in the past, and they do not stop the problem, and it's never been this bad. Today, I noticed a new spot on her side about the size of a half dollar. My family and I live in Louisiana, and we had a very mild winter last year, so we have lots of mosquitos and fleas this summer on top of the heat and humidity. We have treated our yard for pests, and Dixie does not have fleas. Due to the hot spots and the meds I have been putting on her, I am giving her a bath about every other day with either Johnson's baby or blue Dawn, as this is what the vet recommended. I'm not sure if these are drying her skin out more, but she does have to have a bath due to the medications and scabs. I've been trying to keep her in the house as much as possible, but she loves being outside. We have a bell on the door, and she rings it constantly to go out in the backyard. I have been going out with her to prevent her from rubbing on stuff. I would love recommendations to help poor Dixie. I know she has to be miserable... :(

Edited to add that I have not changed anything about her care... she still eats the same food she has been on for years, and I give her coconut oil for her skin, although it does not seem to help.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Aww, sorry to hear Dixie is having skin problems, it's so common:(

Do you have any idea of what causes it? Is it seasonal? I would probably use something else to shampoo her with... something that's suitable for her situation and that's made for dogs. I'm in South Africa so I don't know what brands you guys have over there but I've heard of a special oatmeal shampoo that's supposed to be great. And a last rinse with water containing some Apple Cider Vinegar is great for the skin too.

Do you have a picture?
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] (my go to, skin issue guru;))

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm thinking too much bathing is striping her natural oils... Baby shampoo can be harsh and dawn is great for killing fleas but not as a norm....

Have you tried rubbing the coconut oil directly on the skin?

What food are you feeding.. Brand/protein? Even though she has been on it for years they can develop issues.

A picture would be great if you can post one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
The shampoo could be an issue, but honestly I'm curious if the vet did a skin scrape... demodex mange appears in circles, and it spreads. Can you post some pics?

OP
C

Christie

Jun 29, 2016
Louisiana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dixie
Here is a pic from yesterday... I will have to take some more in a bit...

20160629_105007.jpg

OP
C

Christie

Jun 29, 2016
Louisiana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dixie
Here is a pic from yesterday... I will have to take some more in a bit...

View attachment 99567

She is scratching/rubbing on things to the point of bleeding... she did this while I was in the shower.

OP
C

Christie

Jun 29, 2016
Louisiana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dixie
A few more...

Attachments

• 20160630_102003.jpg
    20160630_102003.jpg
    642.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 20160630_101913.jpg
    20160630_101913.jpg
    665.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 20160630_101907.jpg
    20160630_101907.jpg
    652.9 KB · Views: 161

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
@2BullyMama

This looks like staph to me? (2nd pic)
Seems like secondary infection due to allergies to me.
I agree, please use a different shampoo, I highly recommend Dechra Dermabens for this issue.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
A few more...

Poor girl :(

I'm thinking there is definitely an allergy issue... Could be environmental but it is weakening the immune system and causing the skin issues. Has the vet ruled out mange and staph infection?

I agree some looks like staph issues, but others look like hotspots. I would stop the daily bathing and shave the areas that are hotspots to help get those cleared up. I would then look for a new vet for a second opinion....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree with @2BullyMama, and I'd also give another vet a shot and possibly get some allergy testing done if you can afford it. I was in this cycle for years (at vet every 2-4 months with a staph infection from allergies, covered with what looked like your 2nd pic and put on 2 weeks of antibiotics - however our poor boy didn't get this bad), until I finally got him on Atopica. Baths every 2-3 weeks also help him a lot too. Please consider the shampoo I recommended upthread, you can order online, wash with it once, then again leaving on 10 mins. I get a lot of compliments from the vet and the techs on our boy's coat.

The HotSpot may need a spray for it? Did you vet mention one?

PS What food does she eat?

jfulen

Dec 19, 2015
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly "Harley" Quinn Mayhem
Dermabens is a great shampoo but in Harley's case it didn't cover enough skin issue situations. If there is something more going on with Dixie's skin you might want to look at PhytoVet CK Antiseptic shampoo. In addition to anti-bacterial, it is also antiseptic, antifungal, and antimicrobial. I would think Dawn is too harsh for Dixie's skin.

I hope Dixie feels better soon!

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dermabens is a great shampoo but in Harley's case it didn't cover enough skin issue situations. If there is something more going on with Dixie's skin you might want to look at PhytoVet CK Antiseptic shampoo. In addition to anti-bacterial, it is also antiseptic, antifungal, and antimicrobial. I would think Dawn is too harsh for Dixie's skin.

I hope Dixie feels better soon!
I have tried Pyoben, Trizclor, Malasab, Zymoxx, and others from Virbac, but Dermabenss by Dechra has helped us most but this one sounds really good too, I may try it next!
How is Dixie today? [MENTION=16056]Christie[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
OP
C

Christie

Jun 29, 2016
Louisiana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dixie
Yes, Dixie is doing better. I've been keeping her inside as much as possible, even though she hates it, and taking her out in the front yard to potty as needed. I'm thinking it's skin allergies, and the heat/humidity was not helping. There are no new spots since I began keeping her in.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online