We are diagnosed to have parvovirus! Please share your experience!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Continued prayers for total recovery (yes, it does happen)
and sending much love & caring hugs from Texas <3

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Oh my goodness. How scary this must be for you, but it sounds like you've found treatment in time! Best of luck to you and Tank. This was a very informative read, apparently i knew next to nothing about parvo.

I hope he's continuing to improve. [emoji813]

OP
Lalaloopsie

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
DEar friends, thank you SO MUCH for all your positive words and support, love and prayers! It is extremely important for us! Also huge thank you for sharing positive outcomes and priceless advice about ice cubes! Tank is struggling, today is third day and doctor says today and tomorrow are crucial days, when his body has to overcome the disease. Yesterday he felt a bit better after treatment, but overnight he became again weak and developed fever. Today he is very weak, but luckily he vomits only once a day and his diarrhea is not too bad, not bloody and even not watery. Doctor seems to be knowledgeable, but it is difficult to understand some medicine they use here in China. Some of them I cannot recognize at all. But Tank definitely gets antiemetic, antibiotic, heart support and immune serum. Price for 1 day treatment is around 120 Usd, I don't know if it is the same like in th USA, or cheaper. But money is not important, we just want this little boy to recover. We got all nesessary shots for his 5 month age, but still got this awful parvo! I have doubts about quality of vaccines (you know, Chinese quality is famous - sometimes you get good and sometimes you get bad, it is a lottery) and going to bring some vaccines from Netherlands in a thermos with ice.
Frankly speaking, I was very nervous from the beginning about getting a dog here in China, as it is so difficult, starting from buying a decent puppy and further on - vaccination, medical problems, even getting proper food - everything is a big challenge. As a doctor, first thing I told my husband - how are we going to get proper medical help here? We stay in a city which is small by chinese scale (5mln) and medicine is not as good as in Shanghai or Beijing. People here just started to have pets less than 10 years ago, before not many could afford them, so it is not so developed in comparison with USA and Europe. Especially regarding such a special breed like EB. But we just couldn't resist temptation.
Thank you so much agan and God bless everybully here!
Hoping for the best and praying for Tank's recovery.

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Thank you for the update, it sounds hopeful! Continued prayers for Tank and family, that little boy is blessed to have such caring parents! Much love, Susan and Jersey

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Don't give up yet, sounds like he's hanging in there... I'm curious if vaccines are required in China. I know when we lived in Germany they were extremely strict about pets over there, and especially in England. We had cats at the time, and we were able to take them to the US Army base for their vet care.

OP
Lalaloopsie

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Dear friends, seems like this little guy is doing better - he didn't puke or poop since yesterday, and he is quite active. He is also super hungry and is begging for food, and it breaks our hearts! Because we cannot give him anything yet! Today doctor even gave him a tablespoon of canned food after IV and he seems to digest it - it is already 3 hours since he ate it and no problem! But we have to wait till tomorrow to give him some more. He is now also very interested in destroying a catheter which is in his paw, so we have to watch him thoroughly.
Cannot express in words how grateful I am to all of you for your love and prayers and great advice! You gave us a huge feeling of support and comfort in this difficult situation. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU and God bless everyone and your beloved bullies!

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
My only experience was in the early 90's, but it was not good. At that time less than 5% of dogs diagnosed lived. Perhaps vet science has changed. Basically your dog is sluffing their intestinal lining (as it was described to me). If they do survive, their intestine will be primarily scar tissue and they will have to be on a very special diet the rest of their lives. The link below gives current info:

Parvovirus Infection | Canine Parvovirus | Dog Parvo | petMD

What I know from experience is pray to God in and ask for LOADS of help. These links lead to prayers of St. Francis the protector of animals:

MyCatholicSource.com - St. Francis of Assisi Section: Prayers for Animals / Pets

Prayers of St. Francis of Assisi for Sick Pets and other Catholic Prayers at Heavenly Divine Custom Rosaries

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Dear friends, seems like this little guy is doing better - he didn't puke or poop since yesterday, and he is quite active. He is also super hungry and is begging for food, and it breaks our hearts! Because we cannot give him anything yet! Today doctor even gave him a tablespoon of canned food after IV and he seems to digest it - it is already 3 hours since he ate it and no problem! But we have to wait till tomorrow to give him some more. He is now also very interested in destroying a catheter which is in his paw, so we have to watch him thoroughly.
Cannot express in words how grateful I am to all of you for your love and prayers and great advice! You gave us a huge feeling of support and comfort in this difficult situation. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU and God bless everyone and your beloved bullies!

Sorry I'm so late to this... The troops have you covered.... Adding my prayers to you all !

Great to see he is recovering and praying he continues. ((Hugs)))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
AWESOME news, sounds like he is feeling much better... keep us posted!!!

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey

I'm SOOOO happy the hear this great news!!!!! :sunny::sunny::sunny:

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie

This is SUCH wonderful news!! - Ellie and I have been keeping you and Tank in our thoughts!!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Tears of joy reading your update, he sounds like he's turned the corner!

In my experience, the ones that didn't make it never improved once
they showed symptoms but only worsened dramatically until death.

Sending love & prayers until he's home where he belongs & getting Mom's
home cooked meals & being spoiled rotten as well deserved! Hugs to all :)

OP
Lalaloopsie

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Some more news from Tank:) Yesterday we had an unpleasant moment, as just before i was going to give poor boy second dose of canned food doctor gave us at clinic, he started to develop hives all over his body. I gave hin antiallergic tablet and took him to hospital immediately and he was given steroid shots. We also got some other food to try, but unfortunately, this morning when we tried it, hives started to appear again. Seems like canned food available here is not suitable for us. It is also true, that all his gastrointestinal lining is gone, so food goes almost straight into blood through damaged GI walls. So it will be difficult now to find the food that will suit him. Today we didn't need IV, just got some shots. Now we tried Royal Canin gastrointestinal doctor gave us, seems to be ok. Unfortunately, RC is the only medical food available here. But it seems to be ok for Tank's tummy at the moment. We are super happy and probably, can exhale a bit! But it is still a long way to go to restore his health and gain back his trust, as during last week his world went completely nuts - not only he felt sick and weak, also people who were always nice to him instead of support started to take him to weird place where he was used as a pin cushion, and nobody protected hm, on the contrary - helped to hold him! Even more, his mother didn't feed him for TWO DAYS!
Thank you so much for all support, without you I would definitely go completely crazy! And thank you so much for your prayers, because it is one very big problem in China - there is no church here to visit. There are some Korean churches here, but they are a bit different, and everything is in Korean:(. So, we are feeling quite lonely here and knowing that someone mentions you in their prayers in difficult moments helps a lot! Thank you so so much and God bless everyone and your bullies!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.