We are diagnosed to have parvovirus! Please share your experience!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Yesterday in 1 minute our happy life was gone - at 8 pm Tank ate his dinner, we went for a walk and he was active and happy, made 2 good non-liquid poops, and we returned home. 9.30 he started vomiting, first with food, later with clear waterish substance, and finally with just foam. He drank a bit, and did strange thing - stand with his face in the water, but not slurping. Puking stopped around midnight. No real diarrhea. In the morning we went to vet and he diagnosed with test canine parvovirus CPV infection. He immediately started IV with different meds, shots etc. we were on IV for 5 hours. Total amount of liquids was 400 ml. After that Tank made a big wee and had an explosive diarrhea, 1 time. It was very liquid. But after that, it is now 6 hours after treatment finished, we have no vomiting, no diarrhea. Actually, vomiting we didn't have already for 20 hours, since yesterday.
As you probably know, CPV is difficult to treat, treatment just supports vital functions and rest is up to his body to do, and basically we have to wait 3 days, if he will get better after 3-4 days, he will most probably survive, if not - then, he won't make it.
So, my questions to you, my friends are as follows -
1) may be someone knows, if I can consider absence of vomiting for 20 hours and only one episode of diarrhea in 23 hours since sickness started, to be a good sign?
2) doctor told me not to give him nor food neither water to drink. I am worried, if he can stay for almost 17 hours (our IV finished at 3pm, and we go for treatment at 8am tomorrow) without water? I know that i cannot give him a bowl of water, if he drinks a lot, he will probably vomit and lose even more liquid. But what if I put a spoon or two in his mouth once in an hour, just to keep him a bit more hydrated? I also can put 20-30 ml of water throuh his anus, water is absorbed quite well in rectum. It is common way of hydration of very young babies with vomiting, and also good for dogs.
Please share your experience if you have one, as I am hysterical and all my family either. We cannot imagine losing this precious baby.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Rushing prayers to you, Natallia & your family, for faith, strength & hope
in Tank's full recovery from this infection. As well, praying for your precious
boy for quick turnaround & no further issues ever from this.

Cami & I send our best love from Texas to all <3

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
1. Simple answer is YES... this is a good sign. Much better than if your pup was still vomiting. However, it could also be a sign that the stomach is completely empty. I assume no dry heaving too.
2. You might consider ice chips. Be watchful and monitor urine passing. If he does not urinate for more than 24 hours that's serious and needs to be addressed right away...with more IV fluids.

How old is your bulldog?

Dogs going in for surgery often do not eat or drink after midnight and skip breakfast the next morning and then will not have anything for several hours prior to the surgical procedure...so 17 hours of no food or drink just after IV fluids end should not be alarming. Be advised, that if anything does not seem right, call your VET...not just for your bully but also for your sanity.

Parvo is nasty stuff and bad cases usually affect younger pups with weak immune systems. After 5-6 months the immune system starts to strengthen and the dog has a much better chance for survival. It seems that you are doing everything you can at this time and hopefully your baby will pull through.

Discard all toys and bedding and clean surrounding areas(and kennel) with diluted bleach...TWICE! Do not introduce new bedding until your pup is deemed free of infection. Just let them sleep on bare kennel surface and wipe it down every day with diluted bleach. No interaction with ANY other dogs for your dog AND any person that comes in contact with your dog. This disease is passed on through feces /diarrhea and is extremely contagious. It can be passed on to a neighbors dog by a person walking into their home with contaminated shoes. It's that easy.

I wish you all the luck in the world!

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
I don't have any advice except praying for him! A friend of mine rescued a lab mix puppy that went through this and he survived and is thriving. It's touch and go for the next few days but sounds like he will pull out of it.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=15780]Lalaloopsie[/MENTION] I am so sorry to hear this! Many years ago,when Parvo was quite rampant here,I worked for a veterinarian. People who brought their dogs in soon enough,and were diligent,were lucky,as their dogs survived. Parvo seemed to affect Dobermans,Labs and Rottweilers the worst,and few made it.It is a good sign that he is not vomiting,or trying to vomit.As mentioned you can give him ice cubes/chips to lick.
**Although there are no drugs available that can kill the virus yet, treatment is generally straightforward and consists of aggressive supportive care to control the symptoms and boost your dog’s immune system to help him win the battle against this dangerous disease. Dogs infected with parvovirus need intensive treatment in a veterinary hospital, where they receive antibiotics, drugs to control the vomiting, intravenous fluids and other supportive therapies. Should your dog undergo this treatment, be prepared for considerable expense-the average hospital stay is about 5-7 days.
I am sure your vet has given you antibiotics to administer-even IV if needed,as you are a physician. We will be praying for your baby. Did he not have his puppy shots? I don't know his age............:pray::pray:

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Oh no, I'm so sorry. Our Basset puppy had Parvo, she never vomited but she did have diarrhea. It never went as far as her needing IV fluids and she improved very quickly after initial treatment. I think it's a very good sign that he's not vomiting...

Parvo is horrible:( our Basset got it cos the "breeder" didn't want to vaccinate the puppies that nobody had paid a deposit for... Alice, our Basset, came to us as a rescue cos she had nowhere else to go, we did vaccinate her the day we got her but it was to late, the virus had already gotten to her. But she's doing great now, no issues.

Thinking of you and little Tank<3 Hope he's getting better quickly!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=15780]Lalaloopsie[/MENTION] easier said than done but try to stay calm so you stay focus for Tank. You have no choice for now but do as the vet says. Hopefully Tank has a strong immune system and will fight like a little trooper. Positive thoughts coming you way :pray:

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Sending positive healing thoughts and prayers for you and Tank

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Praying for Precious Tank to make a full recovery. Tank we Love you Sweetie Pie, get Strong and Healthy Baby. Sending Loads of Love and Prayers to You Tank. Love, Susan and Elmo

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
I'm so sorry to hear this. Sending prayers and healing thoughts for Tank and for your family. Much love, Susan and Jersey

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
[MENTION=15780]Lalaloopsie[/MENTION] How is Tank doing? I hope he is much better today. Still sending the vibes and prayers.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
1. Simple answer is YES... this is a good sign. Much better than if your pup was still vomiting. However, it could also be a sign that the stomach is completely empty. I assume no dry heaving too.
2. You might consider ice chips. Be watchful and monitor urine passing. If he does not urinate for more than 24 hours that's serious and needs to be addressed right away...with more IV fluids.

How old is your bulldog?

Dogs going in for surgery often do not eat or drink after midnight and skip breakfast the next morning and then will not have anything for several hours prior to the surgical procedure...so 17 hours of no food or drink just after IV fluids end should not be alarming. Be advised, that if anything does not seem right, call your VET...not just for your bully but also for your sanity.

Parvo is nasty stuff and bad cases usually affect younger pups with weak immune systems. After 5-6 months the immune system starts to strengthen and the dog has a much better chance for survival. It seems that you are doing everything you can at this time and hopefully your baby will pull through.

Discard all toys and bedding and clean surrounding areas(and kennel) with diluted bleach...TWICE! Do not introduce new bedding until your pup is deemed free of infection. Just let them sleep on bare kennel surface and wipe it down every day with diluted bleach. No interaction with ANY other dogs for your dog AND any person that comes in contact with your dog. This disease is passed on through feces /diarrhea and is extremely contagious. It can be passed on to a neighbors dog by a person walking into their home with contaminated shoes. It's that easy.

I wish you all the luck in the world!

:goodpost: Fantastic advice!!! We had a puppy w/parvo, and he did survive... if they catch it early enough chances are he will be fine. It DOES take time to get thru their system, so be patient... plenty of rest is important too. Please keep us updated!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online