Help Needed! Bruce's lumpy back

daciukk

Mar 19, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
IMG_4752.JPGIMG_4752.JPGIMG_4754.JPGIMG_4755.JPGHi Everyone,
Bruce is 7 months old and 3 days ago spontaneously he had 10 to 15 small (dime size or smaller) scabs on his back and red lumps (looking like hikes on his belly). I gave him benadryl orally and the cream and put witch hazel on the scabs. I wasn't sure if maybe he got bit by fleas at the dog park (he is on Nexguard) or if he was allergic to the new treats. I never saw any bugs on him, but i washed him with flea shampoo, treated the house and got rid of the treats. Last night he was looking great, the scabs were still there but there weren't anymore and the hikes were gone.
This morning he has more lumps, same size and scabby looking. He hasn't been bothered by any of this, not itching or anything. His paws do smell a little frito like.
I'm not really sure whats going on.
Any help is really appreciated.
Kate and Bruce

Last edited:

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
My Boeboe gets hives easily, hers also usually just last a day or two, and then they go away. I thought she got them from flea bite but I'm not so sure anymore... it's sometimes really hard to figure out allergic reactions:(

It could be something he ate maybe? When he got Benadryl it helped but when the medicine left his system the hives came back?

Keep an eye on him so he doesn't get trouble breathing<3

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
View attachment 99453View attachment 99453View attachment 99454View attachment 99455Hi Everyone,
Bruce is 7 months old and 3 days ago spontaneously he had 10 to 15 small (dime size or smaller) scabs on his back and red lumps (looking like hikes on his belly). I gave him benadryl orally and the cream and put witch hazel on the scabs. I wasn't sure if maybe he got bit by fleas at the dog park (he is on Nexguard) or if he was allergic to the new treats. I never saw any bugs on him, but i washed him with flea shampoo, treated the house and got rid of the treats. Last night he was looking great, the scabs were still there but there weren't anymore and the hikes were gone.
This morning he has more lumps, same size and scabby looking. He hasn't been bothered by any of this, not itching or anything. His paws do smell a little frito like.
I'm not really sure whats going on.
Any help is really appreciated.
Kate and Bruce

Aw, I am so sorry this is happening. I know it's a pain, but you may wish to take to the vet for a skin scrape just in case. I think he may be too young for allergy testing? Good call removing the treats in case. What does he eat? :)
It reminds me of how our dog responds to environmental allergies (and the rash would appear so sudden then seem to spread) minus the hives but he's on meds now for it. I'd keep up with the Benedryl and dose as often as allowable - check here, as people can help you with that. What kind of flea shampoo did you use? I'd avoid petstore ones and purchase something your vet may recommend instead that you could purchase online if theirs is pricey. There's a lot of recs for shampoo on the forum. Good luck and hope he's cleared up soon.

OP
D

daciukk

Mar 19, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
We ended up going to the vet. He thinks it is likely allergies from food and doesn't think he had fleas. He thinks that the hives got infected. So he is now on steroids and antibiotics.
He eats Acana, which is chicken and he gets beef liver for treats. So for this month he is only going to have chicken protein to see if that is the culprit. I just gave the steroid and he already received some benadryl this morning so I'm hoping the hives start to improve soon!!!
Poor guy!!
Thanks for the suggestions :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We ended up going to the vet. He thinks it is likely allergies from food and doesn't think he had fleas. He thinks that the hives got infected. So he is now on steroids and antibiotics.
He eats Acana, which is chicken and he gets beef liver for treats. So for this month he is only going to have chicken protein to see if that is the culprit. I just gave the steroid and he already received some benadryl this morning so I'm hoping the hives start to improve soon!!!
Poor guy!!
Thanks for the suggestions :)

Since he is on steroids you will not get a true result of any change.... [emoji20]. The steroids suppress the reaction so keep that in mind.

Hope he heals up quick... Keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Is the Acana the grain free line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

daciukk

Mar 19, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Yes it is the grain free line

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Don't try your "chicken experiment" until he has been off the steroids for about a week-. It seems that many bullies have a problem with chicken.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Don't try your "chicken experiment" until he has been off the steroids for about a week-. It seems that many bullies have a problem with chicken.

:up:

Most Reactions