Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Nasal Congestion. How do you handle this ?

  1. #1
    Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member Maximus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Toms River, New Jersey
    Posts
    492
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)
    78

    Default Nasal Congestion. How do you handle this ?

    Maximus is congested nasally. How do you handle this ? I'm sure there are no Nasal decongestants for dogs.
    He appears to be congested all the time, and blows out his nose all over the house, and his nose is constantly running. I don't know what to do for him . Does anyone else have this problem ?

  2. #2
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Manydogs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    10,655
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)
    6690

    Default Re: Nasal Congestion. How do you handle this ?

    i know @Maximus seems to have a lot of allergies? Is his nasal discharge clear? If it is not clear-he needs to see the veterinarian. If it is clear, he can have benedryl, or I think Claritin is safe for the dogs,also. Does he already take allergy meds? If so, he may need something different. I have only used Benedryl.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

  3. Likes 2BullyMama, CCandMurray liked this post
  4. #3
    Feed Store Operator Lalaloopsie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Natallia
    Country
    Belarus
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    714
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)
    1170

    Default Re: Nasal Congestion. How do you handle this ?

    I used human decongestant for my boy when he was very small, we got him very sick from Chinese kennel. I used nasal drops for children, INN for active substance was xylometasoline hydrochloride.

  5. #4
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    5,086
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)
    6305

    Default Re: Nasal Congestion. How do you handle this ?

    When I got Nyala, she caught a cold and vet put her on antibiotics. Eeeeeehhhh im one of the odd balls will try natural first unless was life or death. She had green guk coming out of her nose all day long, her eye this green slim, coughing and all. I put my diffuser which I have 24/7 going in the house but at night over her kennel. Not directly on her but it was going in the cage. I added peppermint oil, lemon oil and eucalyptus oil. Took 2 days and got her off the antibiotics as she didn't need it. I also have breathing issues and controlling it myself for over 15year. Dont take pumps and im fine peppermint essential oils in one oil that will clear all the breathing/lungs, wind pipes and clear your brains yup that too lol. Some members did the recipe for their dogs and loved the results. They did say the breath alot easier. You do what you want but I will chose oils before pills unless was life threatening. Oils has been around for 5000 yrs. But heh, that's me.

  6. Likes 2BullyMama, CCandMurray liked this post
  7. #5
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    12,738
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    5600

    Default Re: Nasal Congestion. How do you handle this ?

    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    When I got Nyala, she caught a cold and vet put her on antibiotics. Eeeeeehhhh im one of the odd balls will try natural first unless was life or death. She had green guk coming out of her nose all day long, her eye this green slim, coughing and all. I put my diffuser which I have 24/7 going in the house but at night over her kennel. Not directly on her but it was going in the cage. I added peppermint oil, lemon oil and eucalyptus oil. Took 2 days and got her off the antibiotics as she didn't need it. I also have breathing issues and controlling it myself for over 15year. Dont take pumps and im fine peppermint essential oils in one oil that will clear all the breathing/lungs, wind pipes and clear your brains yup that too lol. Some members did the recipe for their dogs and loved the results. They did say the breath alot easier. You do what you want but I will chose oils before pills unless was life threatening. Oils has been around for 5000 yrs. But heh, that's me.
    I'm interested in using essential oils, I have a couple but I have only used them in a diffuser. I would rather use them then take another pill anyway…

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

  8. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
  9. #6
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    12,738
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    5600

    Default Re: Nasal Congestion. How do you handle this ?

    Walter will get a runny nose every once in awhile, I give him benadryl and it seems to clear up fine. I agree w/Lynn, if it's clear it's allergies if it's green then you need to see the vet. I would say your best bet would be to find out what he is reacting to… is it seasonal allergies, or a food issues? Once you figure out the cause you can work on treating it, you may want to have him tested for allergies since this has been an issue for awhile...

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

  10. Likes 2BullyMama, CCandMurray liked this post
  11. #7
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    5,086
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)
    6305

    Default Re: Nasal Congestion. How do you handle this ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    I'm interested in using essential oils, I have a couple but I have only used them in a diffuser. I would rather use them then take another pill anyway…
    Check out the link below

    http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...tial-oils.html

  12. Likes ddnene, CCandMurray liked this post
  13. #8
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,218
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11549

    Default Re: Nasal Congestion. How do you handle this ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    i know @Maximus seems to have a lot of allergies? Is his nasal discharge clear? If it is not clear-he needs to see the veterinarian. If it is clear, he can have benedryl, or I think Claritin is safe for the dogs,also. Does he already take allergy meds? If so, he may need something different. I have only used Benedryl.
    if it is clear discharge... benedryl (1 mg per pound) or Claritin (1 pill per day)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  14. #9
    Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member Maximus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Toms River, New Jersey
    Posts
    492
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)
    78

    Default Re: Nasal Congestion. How do you handle this ?

    Maximus always has a runny nose and is always nasally congested. I have not given him Benadryl in quite awhile, because he is on Allergy Medication (APOQUEL) but I may have to keep on a regiment of Benadryl for awhile to see if it clears up. Sometimes the nasal discharge is clear and other times it is cream-colored. I'll keep you all posted on this. Thanks for the input and recommendations.

  15. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  16. #10
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member CCandMurray's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carolyn
    Country
    U.S.
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,624
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murray
    Likes (Received)
    1544

    Default Re: Nasal Congestion. How do you handle this ?

    I think a hot steam from the shower would help too, or you could try Zyrtec

  17. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  18. #11
    Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member Maximus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Toms River, New Jersey
    Posts
    492
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)
    78

    Default Re: Nasal Congestion. How do you handle this ?

    I started Maximus on Benadryl twice per day and it's working. So I'm happy. I should have thought of this much earlier ....

  19. Likes CCandMurray, 2BullyMama liked this post
  20. #12
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member CCandMurray's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carolyn
    Country
    U.S.
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,624
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murray
    Likes (Received)
    1544

    Default Re: Nasal Congestion. How do you handle this ?

    I'm glad he's feeling better!!

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •