Nasal Congestion. How do you handle this ?

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Maximus is congested nasally. How do you handle this ? I'm sure there are no Nasal decongestants for dogs.
He appears to be congested all the time, and blows out his nose all over the house, and his nose is constantly running. I don't know what to do for him . Does anyone else have this problem ?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
i know [MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION] seems to have a lot of allergies? Is his nasal discharge clear? If it is not clear-he needs to see the veterinarian. If it is clear, he can have benedryl, or I think Claritin is safe for the dogs,also. Does he already take allergy meds? If so, he may need something different. I have only used Benedryl.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I used human decongestant for my boy when he was very small, we got him very sick from Chinese kennel. I used nasal drops for children, INN for active substance was xylometasoline hydrochloride.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
When I got Nyala, she caught a cold and vet put her on antibiotics. Eeeeeehhhh im one of the odd balls will try natural first unless was life or death. She had green guk coming out of her nose all day long, her eye this green slim, coughing and all. I put my diffuser which I have 24/7 going in the house but at night over her kennel. Not directly on her but it was going in the cage. I added peppermint oil, lemon oil and eucalyptus oil. Took 2 days and got her off the antibiotics as she didn't need it. I also have breathing issues and controlling it myself for over 15year. Dont take pumps and im fine :yes: peppermint essential oils in one oil that will clear all the breathing/lungs, wind pipes and clear your brains yup that too lol. Some members did the recipe for their dogs and loved the results. They did say the breath alot easier. You do what you want but I will chose oils before pills unless was life threatening. Oils has been around for 5000 yrs. But heh, that's me.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
When I got Nyala, she caught a cold and vet put her on antibiotics. Eeeeeehhhh im one of the odd balls will try natural first unless was life or death. She had green guk coming out of her nose all day long, her eye this green slim, coughing and all. I put my diffuser which I have 24/7 going in the house but at night over her kennel. Not directly on her but it was going in the cage. I added peppermint oil, lemon oil and eucalyptus oil. Took 2 days and got her off the antibiotics as she didn't need it. I also have breathing issues and controlling it myself for over 15year. Dont take pumps and im fine :yes: peppermint essential oils in one oil that will clear all the breathing/lungs, wind pipes and clear your brains yup that too lol. Some members did the recipe for their dogs and loved the results. They did say the breath alot easier. You do what you want but I will chose oils before pills unless was life threatening. Oils has been around for 5000 yrs. But heh, that's me.

I'm interested in using essential oils, I have a couple but I have only used them in a diffuser. I would rather use them then take another pill anyway…

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Walter will get a runny nose every once in awhile, I give him benadryl and it seems to clear up fine. I agree w/Lynn, if it's clear it's allergies if it's green then you need to see the vet. I would say your best bet would be to find out what he is reacting to… is it seasonal allergies, or a food issues? Once you figure out the cause you can work on treating it, you may want to have him tested for allergies since this has been an issue for awhile...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
i know @Maximus seems to have a lot of allergies? Is his nasal discharge clear? If it is not clear-he needs to see the veterinarian. If it is clear, he can have benedryl, or I think Claritin is safe for the dogs,also. Does he already take allergy meds? If so, he may need something different. I have only used Benedryl.

:up: if it is clear discharge... benedryl (1 mg per pound) or Claritin (1 pill per day)

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Maximus always has a runny nose and is always nasally congested. I have not given him Benadryl in quite awhile, because he is on Allergy Medication (APOQUEL) but I may have to keep on a regiment of Benadryl for awhile to see if it clears up. Sometimes the nasal discharge is clear and other times it is cream-colored. I'll keep you all posted on this. Thanks for the input and recommendations.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I think a hot steam from the shower would help too, or you could try Zyrtec

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I started Maximus on Benadryl twice per day and it's working. So I'm happy. I should have thought of this much earlier ....

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online