Roxi was spayed....but I have questions.

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
My Roxi bear was spayed last Tuesday (03-01-11). They said everything went well and gave me a ton of post-op information and some pain meds. She is acting her usual self (wanting to run, jump, play, eat like a horse). I have definitely limited her activity because I am terrified of complications. I'm afraid something is wrong though. Her incision area seems to be more swollen today. :(
Pictures are attached.

Does this seem normal? When will her belly be back to normal?

Attachments

• IMG_0593.jpg
    IMG_0593.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0592.jpg
    IMG_0592.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 131

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
It would probably be a good idea to call the vet tomorrow and have them look at it. Do you have a followup check already scheduled?

L

Lucy-licious

There appears to be some redness there too aswell as the swelling. Is it hot to touch? Is there any discharge or yuckiness?
I would definately take her back to he vet asap she may have a slight infection at the incision site.
Keep us informed please on how she is.

OP
RoxiBear

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
It is not any warmer than the rest of her body and I haven't seen any discharge.:confused: She has little flaky things around the wound but I believe that's from the glue they used. She lets me touch the area and it doens't seem to bother her. I will call the vet tomorrow morning as soon as they open. I pray that noting is wrong. :*(:pray:

The area isn't as red this morning, just pink. A little more so that her usual pink tone but definitely not red. She just ate so I haven't been able to check for swelling yet...she will not let me turn her over on a full belly ;)

Last edited:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
It looks like she over did it a little. Watch it carefully, keep her rested, no stairs, jumping ect. Bella had a hard time after hers, she actually popped it all open at about 4 days, had to have it all redone and then I had to keep her in the RV and away from the other dogs until the next healed.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I think it looks pretty normal for a post-op puppy. Truman's incision looked similar to that from a different surgery that required a incision in the same place. There will always be a scar there but if she won't let you touch it because it's painful, it has an odor, or there swelling, that may indicate a problem.

My advice would be to keep her quiet for the next day or two and see if the incision looks better. If not, you can go from there but I think it looks pretty normal and there's not an immediate need to see a vet.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I can see some swelling and redness from the photos but that's to be expected from the operation. It could be that she did over-do it ... those pain meds can be pretty strong and so she wouldn't have been able to feel any discomfort when she was playing. I would try and keep her very quiet today and see how it looks on Monday morning.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Silva had a post op infection after her spaying and had to go on antibiotics for 7 days. It was red, swollen and just looked angry. Honestly the one area at looks a little inflammed and slightly red. I would keep an eye on it and if it gets any worse call for an appt!

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
back in feb lex had his hernia fixed and his incision was like that really big and bulgy.. it will go down in a week or so!

OP
RoxiBear

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
IMG_0602[1].jpgIMG_0600[1].jpgIMG_0603[1].jpg
Here are some pics from last night. In the pictures it looks more pink but just sitting here it is basically the same color as her skin.
I called the vet this morning and they said that it could be due to the stitches dissolving...but wouldn't that make it smaller:confused:? She is eating and acting normal.
I have kept her confined this whole time to either one room or her crate. It is not warm to the touch or oozing. She will let me touch it. It is not hard but not squishy. When is is standing it doen't look this bad but these pictures are of her on her back. For the first few days I didn't turn her over on her back so I don't know if it is any better or worse than compared to after her surgery.
I'm so confused :*(

L

Lucy-licious

It loks the same in this picture as it did in the first.....keep an eye on it as you are doing and speak to the vet if there are any changes. For example heat, pain, redness, swelling, discharge and smell are all indicators of infection. Saying that she's just had an op so some swelling and pinkness should be expected at first. Keep her confined as you already are, give her lots of love and snuggles for being a brave baby and try not to worry too much......and if your still worried you should take her to the vet for peace of mind.
Mums always worry too much.thats what we're here for xx

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.