Mcleanb7

Dec 1, 2014
SC
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Chubbs
Our boy has A TON of allergies. We had a blood test done and of course he was allergic to everything. We've already taken care of the food allergies--he eats Nutrisca Chicken and Chick Pea recipe (this was the only food I could find that was free of all of his allergies).

But he has a lot of environmental allergies as well that we can't eliminate. My question is does anyone have these issues and have a recommendation for some maintenance therapy? He recently took antibiotics because his skin on his face became infected. They also gave us Apoquel. Between the two his face cleared up and looked great! But the Apoquel would make him vomit (about once every 36 hours). I tried giving him a smaller dose and it doesn't seem to have the same therapeutic effect. I also read that it might not be the best long term solution, also it's expensive. And of course he can't be on antibiotics forever!

We are trying to be more diligent about wiping his folds too. We have a 7 week old baby at home so his poor folds haven't been taken care of like they need to be. Washing with baby soap and wiping with mal-a-ket wipes. Thinking of using an anti fungal powder as well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Try using witch hazel every other day.... Lambeau is also allergic to pretty much everything green--- i wipe him, clean his folds and give Claritin daily--- other than his 'tear stains' and dirty ears I'm able to keep him in good shape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Between witch hazel, coconut oil, lavender oil, Apoquel and Nuvet we are able to keep the environmental allergies at bay.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
There is a website called AllergicPet. They have herbal meds. for allergies for dogs. You may want to check it out. I have not had to try it YET. [MENTION=13289]Mcleanb7[/MENTION]

OP
Mcleanb7

Mcleanb7

Dec 1, 2014
SC
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Chubbs
Thank you! Will definitely check those things out. Vet mentioned immunotherapy but I do not want to do that 1) because of the cost $$$ and 2) I don't want him to be immunosuppressed and susceptible to everything else!

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
With Maximus, I fought his Allergy problems for years, until my Current Vet said it was time he was seen by a Dermatologist --
which was a blessing, because he was started on APOQUEL and KETOCONAZOLE, which relieved the symptoms and he looked like
a new dog in 48-hours. He is still on the APOQUEL, and YES it is very very expensive (I'm going Bankrupt), but I do know what
Maximus looks like without it, and how he behaves (he rubs his face into the carpet non-stop). So I know that he needs to have it.
The KETOCONAZOLE is a great Anti-fungal that also keeps yeast infections away and Max gets it every Weekend only.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Good to know, thanks! How much do you use/how often [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION]?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Good to know, thanks! How much do you use/how often [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION]?

I started a thread about essential oils. Different members posted blends that works for their bullies. I alwas have my diffuser on and we also Nyala breathes in clean air which is great for our lungs n system. I can say carpets is one issue. Even if you clean it tp perfection, some dogs will still have issues cause of the detergents we use to clean them. Use pet friendly vckeaners, well your carpet isn't as clean as we want it. It's one of the "damm you do, damm you dont" thing lol I will put a couple drops of lavender oil in my hands and rub Nyala. Great to keep mosquitos at bay.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

I started a thread about essential oils. Different members posted blends that works for their bullies. I alwas have my diffuser on and we also Nyala breathes in clean air which is great for our lungs n system. I can say carpets is one issue. Even if you clean it tp perfection, some dogs will still have issues cause of the detergents we use to clean them. Use pet friendly vckeaners, well your carpet isn't as clean as we want it. It's one of the "damm you do, damm you dont" thing lol I will put a couple drops of lavender oil in my hands and rub Nyala. Great to keep mosquitos at bay.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Works for mosquitos, I had no idea! Definitely investing in a diffuser and some essential oils this pay day Friday! Thank you [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] :)

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Works for mosquitos, I had no idea! Definitely investing in a diffuser and some essential oils this pay day Friday! Thank you [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] :)
No problem. With Harlea having ACL surgery earlier today we are going to look at adding some yucca root to her diet as it helps to alleviate arthritis pain and swelling.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
No problem. With Harlea having ACL surgery earlier today we are going to look at adding some yucca root to her diet as it helps to alleviate arthritis pain and swelling.

You can rub some mint on harlea. BUT make sure it's diluted with a carrier oil like coconut oil and no licking. This carrier oil is like water or clear. :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online