Hot spot, staph, demodectic mange, injury...what is this?

Jellyfish

Mar 24, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
Yesterday I noticed a scaly like spot on Hank's head. We cleaned it off with witch hazel and applied neosporine. Today this is what it looks like. I have no idea what I'm dealing with. I will be calling the vet tomorrow but until then, any ideas?

86713a267713e952dc2c91664670439a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
From my view, it looks like the beginning of hot spots. Get some Vetericyn and start using it. Hot spots can spread very quickly and become horrible. [MENTION=15669]Jellyfish[/MENTION]

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
From my view, it looks like the beginning of hot spots. Get some Vetericyn and start using it. Hot spots can spread very quickly and become horrible. [MENTION=15669]Jellyfish[/MENTION]

Agree! and Vetericyn is the best! Order it off Amazon, much cheaper than pet stores. Vegas thank goodness has only had a couple in 7 years.

OP
Jellyfish

Jellyfish

Mar 24, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
I ordered the vetericyn. Here is another pic I got.

0bfe64a24ad448ac8e647781e4766d93.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I ordered the vetericyn. Here is another pic I got.

0bfe64a24ad448ac8e647781e4766d93.jpg

Yep... Hotspot--- shave the area and keep it clean and dry. Vectericyn is great for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Yep... Hotspot--- shave the area and keep it clean and dry. Vectericyn is great for them

I was always afraid to shave since area looked so angry anyways. I just used spray and kept super dry.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Poor baby :( feel better Vegas! Murray hasn't had them yet but I'm so paranoid about it I already have the vectericyn on hand just in case!!

OP
Jellyfish

Jellyfish

Mar 24, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
Update: Hank has had a rough couple of weeks dealing with diarrhea. We're blaming the start of it with the cicadas. Once we knew they were causing problems, we stopped him from eating them but we still couldn't get the diarrhea under control. I took every supplement and treat away and that helped for a day or two. So I finally waved the white flag and took a stool sample in to the vet. She couldn't find any parasites or anything else wrong so she put him on a prescription antibiotic and a spray probiotic. She is treating bad bacteria and a digestive imbalance. While we were there she quickly looked at his hot spot and felt that it was a hot spot. I told her that I bought vetericyn and she said to keep using that. She thinks that when we took him to a dog event on Sunday and he got in and out of the baby pools, his skin don't get completely dry and it started a hot spot. So now, we wait. I'm going to do some more research on hot spots. I'm a little leary about letting him get into water now since that can cause them. I didn't realize you had to completely dry him off.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
[MENTION=15669]Jellyfish[/MENTION]
Aww, great you got him to the vet. Yes, these babies are like bacteria/yeast breeding grounds anytime/anywhere they are left damp. I don't know what it is!! If the Veterycin doesn't do the trick, please call your vet and ask if you can get some GenOne spray for it - that stuff is great for hotspots. What is a spray probiotic? I'd love to hear more about that! I've tried many with our guy but that sounds interesting!

Hope he is better soon!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Update: Hank has had a rough couple of weeks dealing with diarrhea. We're blaming the start of it with the cicadas. Once we knew they were causing problems, we stopped him from eating them but we still couldn't get the diarrhea under control. I took every supplement and treat away and that helped for a day or two. So I finally waved the white flag and took a stool sample in to the vet. She couldn't find any parasites or anything else wrong so she put him on a prescription antibiotic and a spray probiotic. She is treating bad bacteria and a digestive imbalance. While we were there she quickly looked at his hot spot and felt that it was a hot spot. I told her that I bought vetericyn and she said to keep using that. She thinks that when we took him to a dog event on Sunday and he got in and out of the baby pools, his skin don't get completely dry and it started a hot spot. So now, we wait. I'm going to do some more research on hot spots. I'm a little leary about letting him get into water now since that can cause them. I didn't realize you had to completely dry him off.

Did they shave the area fir you? How is it looking?

OP
Jellyfish

Jellyfish

Mar 24, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
[MENTION=15669]Jellyfish[/MENTION]
Aww, great you got him to the vet. Yes, these babies are like bacteria/yeast breeding grounds anytime/anywhere they are left damp. I don't know what it is!! If the Veterycin doesn't do the trick, please call your vet and ask if you can get some GenOne spray for it - that stuff is great for hotspots. What is a spray probiotic? I'd love to hear more about that! I've tried many with our guy but that sounds interesting!

Hope he is better soon!
This is what they gave me.

ce682aa17b83063f6c917f891c1bdad6.jpg

OP
Jellyfish

Jellyfish

Mar 24, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
Did they shave the area fir you? How is it looking?

They didn't shave the fur nor did she suggest that I shave it. I was surprised by this because when I went in, I had a pretty good idea already that it was a hot spot and I knew the recommendation was to shave it. She just told me to treat it with the vetericyn. Nothing more.

It does appear to look better. It is more like a big scab now. No oozing and most of the redness is gone.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
They didn't shave the fur nor did she suggest that I shave it. I was surprised by this because when I went in, I had a pretty good idea already that it was a hot spot and I knew the recommendation was to shave it. She just told me to treat it with the vetericyn. Nothing more.

It does appear to look better. It is more like a big scab now. No oozing and most of the redness is gone.

It will get hard and crusty before it is fully gone--- skin pulls tight as it is clearing. If you are comfortable doing it-- i still recommend shaving the fur -- it gives it the air it meeds to dry and fur traps dirt and moisture which can prolong the recovery

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
This is what they gave me.

ce682aa17b83063f6c917f891c1bdad6.jpg

THANKS SO MUCH for posting that for me to see. I am totally going to order some, I like this idea better than the capsules or chews *that have added junk in them, for our guy!! Please let me know how you think it works and hope your baby's hot spot is gone asap!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.