Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Hudson Nash & Milton Virgil
It's happened a few times within the last two months
that awful smell shows up out of no where!
Tonight it was when he was sleeping on me.
He's on a grain free diet filtered water etc

He shows no sign of discomfort, I cleaned his bottom really well after I smelled what had happened.
Is this normal? I know they are suppose to express themselves when going potty but when they are sleeping or just laying there??

image.jpeg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Yes this is extremely normal… you can express them yourself, or I take mine to the vet or have a groomer do it.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=14691]Kimberlie[/MENTION] Some dogs never have a problem with their anals, and some need fairly frequent "expressing".I've had both types! After having them cleaned out, you could try adding more fiber to his diet.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yep, some do have to have them expressed, so you will have to do it or have it done periodically. Some bullies never have problems with them. We are lucky and none of ours have ever had a problem with them.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
My baby will leak too... I notice more often when she gets on the couch or bed... so now no more furniture for her. I also noticed if I hold her seating up on my lap it may happen... let me know what you find out. Never got her expressed... just assumed sometimes it may leak. and I hate that smell!!!!!!

OP
Kimberlie

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Hudson Nash & Milton Virgil
Thank you guys.
He needs his nails clipped so we will do that the same day
:)

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Unfortunately Mr Vegas has to have his done about every 7-8 weeks. We tried for a while to do them ourselves, but back to the vet. Our Vet Tech does them, he has to do internal expression. And yes, Vegas let's us know when it's time. He rubs his behind on area rugs and likes to express a wee bit in my car when I take him to the vet :bad: Vegas is 7 and about when he was 2 years old this started.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lambeau has leaky gland so we add pumpkin to each meal and it lessens the issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I have to do Penny's about once a month. Lockjaws usually resolve after a good #2. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Poor Murphy :( leaking anal glands/anal gland expressions are a pain in the butt! Hope he feels better

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.