hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Hi all! It's been ages since I've been on here. Matilda turns 4 tomorrow and has been perfect and healthy!

Her allergies sometimes give us problems, but we've kept them under control.

However, last week I noticed that one of her paws had a red cyst between the toes. She usually gets some paw redness and inflammation from her allergies, but nothing like this. I kept an eye on it and used her spray (GenOne) and Duoxo wipes on all her paws/toes as usual. It got bigger and bigger within days.

I took her to the vet last week. The cyst is hard and has what the vet thinks is a keratin deposit coming out of it - it almost looks like a scab. Matilda let the vet pick and prod at it with no issue - it doesn't seem to be painful. The vet put ointment on it and bandaged it up and had us come back after the weekend to see if it goes down.

We went back today and after 3 days of her foot being bandaged, the thing is WORSE. It's gigantic and looks painful (although Matilda doesn't seem to notice it). The hard "deposit" (whatever it is) in it looks even bigger. Vet wants to do surgery and just cut it off. I am a nervous wreck because I hate the idea of her being anesthetized. She was fine when she was spayed, but still. I cried when the vet told me.

I've read about salt treatments and I read the article on here about the cysts, but it's only been there for a week and it's gigantic. It seems like it makes more sense just to let the vet remove it (and God forbid, if it's cancer!) then spend 6 weeks using salt/ointment/bandages to HOPE it goes back to normal?

Photo Jun 13, 4 02 06 PM.jpg

What should I do? It's her first one and I am just so sad!

Attachments

• Photo Jun 09, 10 49 21 AM.jpg
    Photo Jun 09, 10 49 21 AM.jpg
    895.2 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
That really looks rough. I would opt for the surgery if you have tried all the usual home remedies. May be worth it to make sure it isn't cancerous. Good luck. I will say a prayer that all goes well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Do they have the ability to do like a local and not put her completely under? Tyson had a bad cyst in between one of his toes a while ago but it wasn't hard like your picture. Our vet lanced it with just a small amount of numbing - he did just fine and it all drained - even though we had to keep it wrapped for a week & half!

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Do they have the ability to do like a local and not put her completely under? Tyson had a bad cyst in between one of his toes a while ago but it wasn't hard like your picture. Our vet lanced it with just a small amount of numbing - he did just fine and it all drained - even though we had to keep it wrapped for a week & half!

The vet offered to do just a local but said it's a tough spot (it's so tight and swollen) and said Matilda would probably be very scared and have to be restrained. I don't want to traumatize her because I'M being a baby and scared... I don't know what to do.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
oh that looks awful poor baby, I don't know what to advice I myself are scared of putting Ftse under unless its an absolute necessity but if I was in your shoes honestly I don't know what I would do.

But I do want to wish matildas a happy fourth birthday and send prayers that this all gets sorted and its not cancer just a cyst gone wrong.

:birthday4::girlbirthday::birthday2:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh gosh… such a hard call.

I would avoid surgery at any cost, maybe give it another week and see what happens. I would think that with aggressive treatment it would shrink down, and if it doesn't then that would be the time to worry.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)

I would avoid surgery at any cost, maybe give it another week and see what happens. I would think that with aggressive treatment it would shrink down, and if it doesn't then that would be the time to worry.

Concur with [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION].

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
The vet offered to do just a local but said it's a tough spot (it's so tight and swollen) and said Matilda would probably be very scared and have to be restrained. I don't want to traumatize her because I'M being a baby and scared... I don't know what to do.

I personally would go any route other than going fully under - yes she may be traumatized & have to be restrained momentarily while its being done but they are quick and she'll get over it. Coming from someone who almost lost her bully due to surgery / it's just my thoughts; I wouldn't risk it. But it's up to you.

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)

Unfortunately, today it's even bigger. It's planning to take over the world, it is just rapidly growing. The treatment we've been doing for the last week has done absolutely nothing.

The vet says she'd prefer putting her under because it's a difficult spot to reach and Til cannot move at all. Ughhh. :(

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Unfortunately, today it's even bigger. It's planning to take over the world, it is just rapidly growing. The treatment we've been doing for the last week has done absolutely nothing.

The vet says she'd prefer putting her under because it's a difficult spot to reach and Til cannot move at all. Ughhh. :(

CRAP… Well you may not have a choice here, you know of course that we are here for support. Hopefully it will be a quick surgery, and nothing comes of it… keep us posted!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

I'm nervous for you, and agree that going under is always a last resort- but that does not look like an interdigital cyst... I get it is same area but I would be having it removed.

Sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers to you both

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I'm nervous for you, and agree that going under is always a last resort- but that does not look like an interdigital cyst... I get it is same area but I would be having it removed.

Sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers to you both

You're right, the vet isn't even calling it a cyst anymore. It's now a "mass". They're sending it to the lab after taking it off, but she doesn't think it's cancerous.

I'm trying to stay calm, the surgery is now scheduled for Thursday. Matilda also has an easier time breathing than most bullies - she had a nose job as a puppy that I think helps a lot. I'm just so nervous. I asked the vet to also clean her teeth while she was under though - so at least that prevents needing to that in the future!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Holly, I think you're doing the right thing in taking it off now.

Of course with bullies we try to avoid surgery but sometimes it has to be done.

Matilda has good breathing, has been under before and it shouldn't take long
to remove this nasty thing.

I'll start prayers over her safety & recovery & for you to have strength & peace
of mind to carry you thru this & onward...God bless you both!

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Holly, I think you're doing the right thing in taking it off now.

Of course with bullies we try to avoid surgery but sometimes it has to be done.

Matilda has good breathing, has been under before and it shouldn't take long
to remove this nasty thing.

I'll start prayers over her safety & recovery & for you to have strength & peace
of mind to carry you thru this & onward...God bless you both!

Thank you all! I'm SO nervous. I've been crying the last few days! The surgery itself only takes 30 minutes - the mass is right on top of her webbing and the vet said it'll be easy to remove.

I just hope she doesn't have issues with the anesthesia. :(

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Don't let Matilda feel that you are too upset. YOu want her in her best frame of mind. Just know that this has to be done,and we all do the best we can do for our babies,Be strong and think positively that all will go well! :luv::up::up::pray::pray::pray::D

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.