AdorabullHenry

Jun 9, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Hello!! I am a brand new English bulldog mommy. We got Henry last Tuesday, at 10 weeks. It's been amazing so far but just today I have my first of I'm sure many concerns. I noticed some green crust near his nostril today and noticed he has a stuffy nose. Reading other forums having green mucas seems to be a bad sign and I am planning to take him to the vet. My problem is it's Friday night, and my vet will be closed the weekend. Is this something that can wait until Monday or should I be worried enough to take him to the emergency vet office? The cost of an emergency visit is about $100 more than a regular vet visit so I would obviously prefer to save that money but if his health is in jeopardy I will spare no expense. Thank you in advance for anyone willing to comment!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
That is a tough call, but if it is only an upper respirtatory infection it won't be urgent, but if it turns into pnuemonia- which it is always possible, you will need to go......

.....Options you have is to do some steam treatments in the bathroom. Using a digital thermometer check his temperature in his rectum (aka butthole) and it should be around 99-101.

Upper respiratory infections are common in puppies, but if it is accompanied by a cough it is likely kennel cough.

If it is higher than 102 or if he becomes lethargic, won't eat, ect. you MUST get him to the ER. But with a brand new puppy, I wouldn't take any chances personally and I would get him in right away anyway.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Bullmama got it. Hoping it' nothing serious. Keep us posted.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
IMO better safe then sorry, I would take him in just to be sure it's not pneumonia or something else.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
IMO better safe then sorry, I would take him in just to be sure it's not pneumonia or something else.

Personally I would say don't wait until the end of the weekend. I got Murray at 8-9 weeks old, he was flown to me from Texas to NY and had kennel cough that developed into pneumonia. He did make a full recovery but it was a scary couple of weeks! The hot steam from the showers definitely did help but antibiotics will help more. Good luck and please keep us posted!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Anything other than clear coming from the nose is a sign for me to take them to the vet.

OP
AdorabullHenry

AdorabullHenry

Jun 9, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Thank you this is such a helpful reply!he doesn't have any other symptoms besides waking up with some green crust around his nostrils and a sneeze bere and there. I'm going to take his temp and based on that take him to the vet either today or wait until Monday and try some steaming in the mean time. Will post again when I figure more out

OP
AdorabullHenry

AdorabullHenry

Jun 9, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Another update, his vet is actually open today so we are taking him in today! Will post what they tell us

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
Thank you this is such a helpful reply!he doesn't have any other symptoms besides waking up with some green crust around his nostrils and a sneeze bere and there. I'm going to take his temp and based on that take him to the vet either today or wait until Monday and try some steaming in the mean time. Will post again when I figure more out

This is exactly what Frith had last week. I was told it was a dog flu of somesort, but hers had also turned into pneumonia. Perhaps there is something going around. Our Schnauzer got it, but not as bad--a few cough and some sneezing, clear running nose, lethargy.

If you have green goo, you probably have a temp. If you can listen to the lungs and hear gurgly sounds--that's bad. Gurgly in the nose is okay. We got Frith through the weekend with benadryl and kennel steaming, but took her in right away monday morning. But, with a new puppy that is a harder call--knowing their limits.

OP
AdorabullHenry

AdorabullHenry

Jun 9, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Update: took Henry to see his vet, he doesn't have a temp or anything going on with his lungs but based on the green mucas they think I just caught the upper respiratory infection early and prescribed him clavamox (amoxicillin trihydrate/clavulante potassium) has anyone used this medication before?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes I have used it many times, it's very good and works well, especially on younger pups.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Clavamox is a pretty commonly prescribed medicine. We probably have all used it at one time or another. Glad you took him!

BREWBADGER

Mar 5, 2016
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Vader and Reya
I had the same symptoms with the little girl Reya, same meds and it cleared up in 2 days, but dispensed the whole bottle.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I believe that's what Murray was on when he had pneumonia and it worked well. I would just make sure even if he's feeling better that you have him take the full length of the meds and really the hot steam from the shower works wonders, I probably had Murray in the bathroom with the door closed with me like 4-6 times a day for about 10 minutes and I would massage by his ribs/lungs to keep things loose, I also gave him low sodium chicken broth too which was a big hit

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online