General Question Some hiccups in these almost 8 months

They Call Me Meaty

May 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
Hi Everyone! I am a newbie to owning an English Bulldog and to this site. Some history: my daughter asked for a Kingston Cocker Spaniel, her dad brought her an English Bulldog :no: At first we weren't really sure if we were happy, but oh how he has grown on us!!! :D Meatball is his name, but we call him Meaty (Meaty Cornelius Martin when he's in trouble)
We started him on Royal Canine Food, however, with this food, his stools never hardened. We switched over to Fromm and his stools are now regular. This is our 2nd month now on it. Check! :whew:
Then he started with a very runny nose, and he licked it, every time. This developed into pneumonia. Took him to the vet, got him some antibiotics and wiped his crusty eyes with a warm wet towel and he got better. Check! :whew:
Then he started to get very itchy, and loss of hair. Back to the vet and he was diagnosed with demodex mange and stenotic nares and elongated soft palate. Gave us the quote for surgery and also said the Nexguard should solve the demodex mange, but if it didn't, to go back for the medicated dips.
So far the demodex has gotten only slightly better under his chin, however, he now has rough patches on his body. Not sure what to do about this. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Then he developed a bunch of rash looking areas, under his stomach, and would be armpits and back of thighs (where the legs meet the body) creases. I applied triple antibiotic ointment, and that seemed to help.
He is shedding, but I am going to assume that is in part to his winter coat? Correct me if my assumption is wrong.

It bugs me dearly to see him so itchy. I have tried benadryl and I don't know what to do to help him relieve the itch. Meatball wants to be scratched and even rubs against wooden gates on our walks :( and on our carpet/furniture.

Any and all suggestions/recommendations are greatly appreciated! Thank heavens for this website and for all the knowledgeable, experienced English Bulldog Owners.

With love, Meaty Cornelius Martin's humans

IMG_0285.JPG

kristimorrill

Aug 10, 2013
san diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie, Daisy and George
We have gone through almost the exact thing. As for the mange, we did ivermectin oral solution for about 3 months...worked great. As for the skin, etc our vet put our girls on an allergy medicine called Apoquel...let me just say the difference is amazing!!!! benedryl doesn't work for our girls and this stuff worked!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I think you need a new vet.... Nexguard will do nothing for mange.... he needs Ivermectin, as the other member stated. mange will make him want to itch till he bleeds. Going to tag a few members that have experience with it to help you

here are member recommended vets in Texas.... hopefully, one is near you

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Jewel and Bentley wishing you a speedy recovery.

English Bulldog News Forums - English Bulldog News Recommended English Bulldog Veterinarians

~TEXAS~

Animal Health & Medical Center
Dr. Allen J. Bolt
Abilene, TX 79608
325-695-7140

Radford Hills Animal Clinic
Dr. Mark Leavell
Abilene, TX
325-672-3090

Brittmore Animal Hospital
Dr. Matt Dikeman or Dr. Kit Kampschmidt
Houston, Texas
713-468-8253

Dr. Kirk Esmond
Josey Ranch Pet Hospital
2150 North Josey Lane, Ste 106
Carrollton, Texas 75006

Critter Care Animal Hospital
Amna Plummer, DVM
13040 Dairy Ashford
Sugar Land, TX 77478
281-494-7700
www.crittercareonline.com

Dr. Scot Sunbury
Sunbury Vet Clinic
12407 North Mopac Expressway , Ste. 400
Austin, TX 78758
512-255-8387

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I think you need a new vet.... Nexguard will do nothing for mange.... he needs Ivermectin, as the other member stated. mange will make him want to itch till he bleeds. Going to tag a few members that have experience with it to help you

This is exactly what I was going to say! Ivermectin, and new Vet.!! Also [MENTION=9600]kristimorrill[/MENTION] gave you good advice.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

:goodpost: I agree, Nexgard is useless for mange…

My Walter had mange, and we decided to do the medicated dips AND used Advantage II in between. He had several bald spots on his body, and the vet felt that we needed to act immediately although I have heard of people using Ivermectin and that seems to help. I have done a LOT of research on demodex mange, and from what I found it is mainly caused by an autoimmune issue. Here is what I'm doing w/Walter and as of right now he looks fantastic…

Fromms 4 star grain free kibble
NuVet Plus canine supplements [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION]
Plain fat free greek yogurt
Micro Flora Plus for digestion… made by Herbsmith (Amazon)
Grizzly Salmon Oil for healthy skin… (Amazon)

He just had a vet exam the other day, and she told me that of ALL of her bulldog patients my pups look the BEST. My guys are shedding because of this stupid weather changes, but NO skin issues or balding spots… and I have to THANK EBN for ALL the help. If you have any questions or want more info just ask, I'll be glad to help!!!

OP
T

They Call Me Meaty

May 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
Thank you so much!! i am going to have to make the drive up to Austin, as that is the closest recommended vet.

Here is a picture of the tail between his back ending and tail beginning...

IMG_1470.JPG

I put coconut oil on it last night and the redness went away. I also added coconut oil to his feeding last night and he loved it!
I will also incorporate the fat free plain yogurt to their food as well. The vet recommended he loose 7 lbs, so suggested I change from puppy food (at 7 months) to adult food and reduce his morning and night feeds to 1/2 cups each feeding instead of the 1 cup each feeding. I feel that he is still very hungry so we add bananas and blueberries to his feedings.

Thanks so so much for all the suggestions. I can't wait until he's itch free!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thank you so much!! i am going to have to make the drive up to Austin, as that is the closest recommended vet.

View attachment 99147

I put coconut oil on it last night and the redness went away. I also added coconut oil to his feeding last night and he loved it!
I will also incorporate the fat free plain yogurt to their food as well. The vet recommended he loose 7 lbs, so suggested I change from puppy food (at 7 months) to adult food and reduce his morning and night feeds to 1/2 cups each feeding instead of the 1 cup each feeding. I feel that he is still very hungry so we add bananas and blueberries to his feedings.

Coconut oil is a great choice as well… I hope your boy starts to feeing better soon!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

View attachment 99147

OUCH on the tail... keep close eye on that, they get very bad infections, very quickly. You can also add green bens to his meal as a filler to help lessen the calorie intake.... give 3/4 of kibble with 1/4 green beans till the 7 pounds are gone. Then just maintain with the 1 cup of food twice a day

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
We did the green bean and kibble diet and it worked great..Also you might try non alcholic witch hazel to clean his tail pocket,we also put Anti Monkey butt paste for diaper rash on ours when neeeded...

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

jfulen

Dec 19, 2015
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly "Harley" Quinn Mayhem
Hi Everyone -

First time poster here. We got our Harley over Christmas. About two months ago she started getting two angry bald spots - one on the shoulder and the other on her hip. After trying to treat what I thought was eczema I took her to the vet (it was time for her check-up anyway). You guessed it - demodex mange. Instead of Ivermectin my vet gave Harley Bravecto. He said this drug, originally crafted to control fleas and ticks but recent studies have shown one dose can kill the mites causing demodex mange. The cost of the single dose was $67.

Efficacy of orally administered fluralaner (Bravecto?) or topically applied imidacloprid/moxidectin (Advocate®) against generalized demodicosis in ... - PubMed - NCBI

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.