Summer skin allergies...what helps?

HandsomeOtis

Jun 10, 2015
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
otis
Otis has developed some small welts on his legs, chest and neck. We took him to the vet and were told they are allergies. The vet said Otis's case is fairly minor and recommended 50mg of Benedryl 2x per day. We are doing that plus giving him a tbsp of organic unrefined coconut oil with his meals (he's eating Diamond grain-free beef and sweet potato which he hasn't had issues with). He still seems pretty itchy and sometimes the spots he can get to bleed because his itching. Looking for any other suggestions that have worked for others. Thx in advance for any helpful image.jpegimage.jpeginput!

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I saw a post with a itchy skin remedy a while back but I can't find it now... it was something with purified water, herbal tea and apple cider vinegar I think... I'm going to search for it again and if I find it I'll post it here for you:)

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Found it! As I understood it from the post I saw it gets sprayed on and rubbed in... It can be worth a try cos it's natural, cheap and easy to make:)

Itchy dog.jpg

OP
HandsomeOtis

HandsomeOtis

Jun 10, 2015
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
otis
Thank you!!! I will definitely give it a go. ��

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I used that recipe when Fezzik had hives. That benadryl and a bath helped a lot. You may also want to consider a wipe down after going outside. It helps with his summer rashes.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
They look like hotspots to me.... can you get a better picture of them?

OP
HandsomeOtis

HandsomeOtis

Jun 10, 2015
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
otis
Here a a couple more pics. These are the biggest spots. There are other much smaller spots down his legs...front and back.image.jpegimage.jpeg

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OP
HandsomeOtis

HandsomeOtis

Jun 10, 2015
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
otis
How old is he? They are not hotspots but if your boy is under a year old has your vet tested for mites ( skin scrape) ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is over a year and the Vet was confident it was allergies so he didn't do a skin scrape. Just hoping to get some relief for my sweet boy though. Let me know if you have any other suggestions. Thanks so much!!!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He is over a year and the Vet was confident it was allergies so he didn't do a skin scrape. Just hoping to get some relief for my sweet boy though. Let me know if you have any other suggestions. Thanks so much!!!

Have you tried rubbing coconut oil on the spots? It helps my boy with his paw itchys

OP
HandsomeOtis

HandsomeOtis

Jun 10, 2015
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
otis
Have you tried rubbing coconut oil on the spots? It helps my boy with his paw itchys

I have. He loves coconut oil though so if he can get to it it licks it off in 2 seconds flat! I keep trying though. ��

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have. He loves coconut oil though so if he can get to it it licks it off in 2 seconds flat! I keep trying though. ��

Stinker.... Has you vet mentioned Aquapel (spelling). A few bullies here are on it and they are doing well on ot

OP
HandsomeOtis

HandsomeOtis

Jun 10, 2015
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
otis
Stinker.... Has you vet mentioned Aquapel (spelling). A few bullies here are on it and they are doing well on ot

He hasn't but I will definitely look into it!! Thank you so very much...Otis thanks you too!image.jpegimage.jpeg

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Only other thing i can think of is... It might be something in his food --- we did blood screening allergy tests and found our guy was allergic to lamb which i was feeding at that time

📰 Latest posts

Members online